Pompei or Mt Vesuvius

pdw26

Just booked a Med cruise in April that will be calling at Naples. There are two interesing ship tours one to Pompei and one to Mt Vesuvius and Herculanium. The latter seems to involve a 300m climb, not a prob for me but my wife might find this a bit difficult. Anyone know how arduous the climb is? Also my wife would like to see something of Naples. The Vesuvius trip looks like a full day with little time for additional sight seeing. The Pompei trip is half day so time to fit something else in. Any advice? Also for the Pompei trip would we be advised to take the ship tour or is it fairly easy to organise locally.

Many thanks

PS - forgot to ask about the weather in April. Little point in climbing to the top of Vesuvius if it is going to be covered in cloud - but I expect thast is the risk you always take when going on a fixed date.

Your wife wants to see Naples, and the Vesuvius tour does not leave time to see Naples. It sounds to me like you will not be doing the Vesuvius tour… :p

As for Pompeii, it is pretty easy to get there independently and cheaply, but you will probably lose some time compared to an organized excursion. You can take a bus from near the port, or the train from downtown. Search this board, there are several threads that provide detailed advice.

Pompeii is easily doable. Walk from port to Porta Nolana is 15-20 min or taxi or bus. Train ride to Pompeii scavi station is 35 min. There are guides there that offer 2 hr tour but one can stay longer.

To answer the original question, the short (about one mile) climb up the Grand Cone of Vesuvio is quite steep and the surface of the path is pebbles so it's easy to lose your footing, especially on the way back down.

You can see pictures and read more about it here: http://www.parco****onaledelvesuvio.it/grancono/index.asp

Given the choice of Pompeii or Naples, I would pick Pompeii. But the Naples National Archaeological Museum houses some major finds from Pompeii. You could make time for a visit after Pompeii if your wife wants to do something in Naples. Pompeii is an amazing site, to put it mildly! We have been there from opening to closing several times. Herculaneum and Oplontis are also fascinating and more compact, one or both of which could be combined if your visit to Pompeii is short. (I also encourage you to use the search feature in this Forum just under the page numbers; there's a lot of excellent information).

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks Syesmar. The choice wasn't Pompeii or Naples, It was Pompeii and Naples or Vesuvius and Herculaneum. As an earlier post suggested my wife's preference probably trumps all others, but I was hoping someone would say 'Naples wouldn't touch it with a bargepole' or 'Herculaneum don't miss it at any cost', but I guess most of these things are personal to our tastes. The comments in this thread and other information on this forum have been very helpful thank you.

pdw26,

I would definitely say that Pompeii is a "don't miss it" site!:) If you have an opportunity to visit, I would. We have been numerous times and have not tired of visiting. [We have always traveled independently by train (there's a bus, too).]

Whatever you choose to do, have a great time!!!

Edited by syesmar

Thanks Syesmar. The choice wasn't Pompeii or Naples, It was Pompeii and Naples or Vesuvius and Herculaneum. As an earlier post suggested my wife's preference probably trumps all others, but I was hoping someone would say 'Naples wouldn't touch it with a bargepole' or 'Herculaneum don't miss it at any cost', but I guess most of these things are personal to our tastes. The comments in this thread and other information on this forum have been very helpful thank you.

For what it's worth, I'd recommend Pompeii and Naples over Vesuvius and Herculaneum.

There are posters who don't like Naples, you may still hear from them. And Herculaneum is actually a must-see, but Pompeii should probably take priority for a first time visitor. If you go independently, both sites are easy to get to on the train and you can decide which one you want to do at the last minute. Or even do both, but that's a lot for one day.

There are posters who don't like Naples, you may still hear from them. And Herculaneum is actually a must-see, but Pompeii should probably take priority for a first time visitor. If you go independently, both sites are easy to get to on the train and you can decide which one you want to do at the last minute. Or even do both, but that's a lot for one day.

Thats pretty much my thoughts. I have a trip in April and will visit Pompei then from Sorrento. We return in August with the kids and intended to visit Herculaneum and Vesuvius. (The tour should include Pompei AS WELL - but wanted more time) When I asked the kids, they wanted Pompei - and their answer "because its Pompei - everyone knows about Pompei". Difficult to take the selfish option given that "argument".

So we have booked a tour to do all three. 2 Hours in Pompei, 1 1/2 in Herculaneum and 2 hours for Vesuvius - which gives just over 30 minutes at the summit. Hopefully our Role call gives us the optimum number of 14 - and this tour works out at an just under 30 Euros

So we have booked a tour to do all three. 2 Hours in Pompei, 1 1/2 in Herculaneum and 2 hours for Vesuvius - which gives just over 30 minutes at the summit.
A private tour is pretty much the only way you could do all three. There's no way to cram them all in via public transit (because of the limited options for getting to Vesuvio, the other two are easy) and even with a rental car it would be difficult because of parking (particularly true again at Vesuvio, where you might have to park on the road and hike for a mile or more to the base of the Grand Cone).

I would pick Pompeii.

We were in Italy twice in 2015....one land based vacation and a cruise.

seeing Pompeii in April would be perfect (even if raining) as in the summer it is HOT and there is not a lot of shade...minimal shade. we visited Pompeii Feb 2015- we were fortunate to have great weather-50's and sunny.

In September 2015 we were on the cruise and stopped in naples. We walked around. Naples was ok. not over the top in love with naples. we preferred Sorrento, poisitano and amalfi over naples. of course we had pizza and it was good. :)

Edited by H2OH!

We did Vesuvius and Pompeii (along with Sorrento). Personally, I would skip Vesuvius. In my opinion, it just wasn't worth it. Since you said your wife might have problems climbing, I would definitely skip it (although you can pay to get a ride in a vehicle to the top). Our time would have been better spent utilizing more time to see Pompeii.

I did an excursion that combined Pompeii and Vesuvius. It was a great day but if I had to choose between them I would definitely choose Pompeii. The feeling of standing on streets and seeing a city that was built over 2000 years ago can not be described. Just an amazing experience.

I would pick Pompeii & Naples for a first time trip. Having said that I have been to Napoli 3 times and still haven't made it up Vesuvius. I love the area in & around Napoli. You can see Vesuvius from anywhere in Naples anyway. You just won't see the view from the top.

• 9 months later...
Thats pretty much my thoughts. I have a trip in April and will visit Pompei then from Sorrento. We return in August with the kids and intended to visit Herculaneum and Vesuvius. (The tour should include Pompei AS WELL - but wanted more time) When I asked the kids, they wanted Pompei - and their answer "because its Pompei - everyone knows about Pompei". Difficult to take the selfish option given that "argument".

So we have booked a tour to do all three. 2 Hours in Pompei, 1 1/2 in Herculaneum and 2 hours for Vesuvius - which gives just over 30 minutes at the summit. Hopefully our Role call gives us the optimum number of 14 - and this tour works out at an just under 30 Euros

Can I ask who you booked your tour with, I am interested!

Can I ask who you booked your tour with, I am interested!

The link to the tour was actually in the post you replied.

For the price we got, we used the 14 vehicle vehicle, which was absolutely fine.

Here's the link again...

http://www.naplestoamalficoast.com/tour/private-tour/pompeii-herculaneum-vesuvius/

I video'd our journey from Naples to Pompeii then on the Vesuvius - and uploaded to

if you'd like to watch. (Timelapse) Enjoy

All three sites are doable in one day..... but if you wanted more time in Pompeii (Its huge) then I'd say drop Vesuvius.... Its hard work getting to the top.

Edited by les37b