Question, what to tip at the port in Barcelona per bag?

ken_nyc

How many Euros should we tip at the port in Barcelona?

Thank you in advance!

Europe does not have the North American tipping culture. As previously said a tip will not be expected at the port but, if you want to give one for good service only, 1-2 euros is ample (irrespective of the amount of luggage NOT per bag!).

Nothing.

Nada.

We do not tip for these things in Europe.

If you insist, give them a Euro Max. But you will not get different service.

It is their job and they are receiving a salary and social insurance from their employer.

We tipped our porter in Barcelona and he was absolutely delighted. As stated, it's not customary but that doesn't mean we are not going to do it. How many bags do you have? What would you tip in North America? You can use an online currency converter to work it out if you wish. :)

What you tip in North America has no relation to Europe . We don't want your tipping culture here, thank you.

Right - why so rude to me and why single me out? Several others in this thread said they would be likely to tip.

If we want to tip, we will do so, thank you.

I was not rude to you, just pointing out we don't want your tipping here in Europe as it is not part of our culture. We have laws that mean employees earn a minimum wage and don't rely on tips, so why are you asking 'what would you tip in North America'? Totally irrelevant.

Right - why so rude to me and why single me out? Several others in this thread said they would be likely to tip.

If we want to tip, we will do so, thank you.

It is not a case of being rude - or of singling you out - Langley Cruisers. Those of us who live here in Spain/Europe are just trying to say that tipping is not required here and that we do not want it to become common practice like it is in the US. Please feel free to give your porters a tip if you are pleased with their service BUT, comply with our practice of just one or two Euros in total rather than a Euro or more per bag - any more than this is far too excessive. The same rule applies for hotel staff and restaurant tipping shouldn't be more than 5% or, in cases of exceptional service only, never more than 10%.

We Europeans follow US tipping prawctice

Edited by campolady

It is not a case of being rude - or of singling you out - Langley Cruisers. Those of us who live here in Spain/Europe are just trying to say that tipping is not required here and that we do not want it to become common practice like it is in the US. Please feel free to give your porters a tip if you are pleased with their service BUT, comply with our practice of just one or two Euros in total rather than a Euro or more per bag - any more than this is far too excessive. The same rule applies for hotel staff and restaurant tipping shouldn't be more than 5% or, in cases of exceptional service only, never more than 10%.

We Europeans follow US tipping prawctice

So just clarifying/asking questions because I don't want to offend anyone (and I agree with adapting to the culture where you are)...

Porters - no tip necessary

Servers in restaurants - 5% if I feel I must, 10% if service is exceptional? I've also heard/read that it's more customary to simply leave the coins from change rather than a set amount?

Hotel housekeepers - Is it customary to leave any kind of tip for your housekeeper in a hotel? And if so should it be done per day or would you have the same housekeeper for multiple nights? (At many hotels in the US the housekeepers do not always have the same set of rooms, so it's more customary to leave something each day as you might not have the same person your entire stay.)

Tour guides - Is a tip expected or customary? If we choose to tip would it be the same 5-10% rule?

Taxi/Car Service drivers - Same question as for tour guides.

Also, would these pretty much follow in France and Italy as well?

Thanks so much!! I don't want to offend anyone by doing either too much or too little.

It's not customary to tip hotel housekeepers, tour guides, if they are good then 5%. Taxi drivers usually round up by a few euros. I stress that this is for Europe only. We are well aware that things are very different in the US. As a matter of interest it is about to become against the law in the UK for restaurants to automatically add 10% service charge. You cannot be forced to pay this and in future you will be able choose how much you tip, if at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It's not customary to tip hotel housekeepers, tour guides, if they are good then 5%. Taxi drivers usually round up by a few euros. I stress that this is for Europe only. We are well aware that things are very different in the US. As a matter of interest it is about to become against the law in the UK for restaurants to automatically add 10% service charge. You cannot be forced to pay this and in future you will be able choose how much you tip, if at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you!

So just clarifying/asking questions because I don't want to offend anyone (and I agree with adapting to the culture where you are)...

Correct. If you really feel the need to tip, no more than 1-2 euros irrespective of how many bags you have and only if you have had exceptional service.

Servers in restaurants - 5% if I feel I must, 10% if service is exceptional? I've also heard/read that it's more customary to simply leave the coins from change rather than a set amount?

Correct. Many locals do tend just to leave the coins but we generally give around 5% - not a great deal on the cost of a meal here where the average price of a 2-3 course meal for 2 including wine is around 50-60 Euros - but only as long as we have had good service and good food. Can't remember the last time we gave 10%!

Hotel housekeepers - Is it customary to leave any kind of tip for your housekeeper in a hotel? And if so should it be done per day or would you have the same housekeeper for multiple nights? (At many hotels in the US the housekeepers do not always have the same set of rooms, so it's more customary to leave something each day as you might not have the same person your entire stay.)

Not routine to tip hotel housekeepers at all; if you really feel obliged to give something just leave some small change when you leave not each day. Certainly don't give a tip on arrival expecting to get superior service - you won't!

Tour guides - Is a tip expected or customary? If we choose to tip would it be the same 5-10% rule?

A small tip is appreciated if you have had good service - no more than 5%. You will rarely see Europeans giving anything, or at the most, just a bit of loose change. If you are on a coach excursion and feel that both the guide and driver deserve a little something give the same maximum of 5% split between the 2 not 5% each; don't give it all to the guide expecting him/her to automatically share it with the driver as this does not always happen.

Round the fare up to the next Euro for a short distance and give no more than a couple of Euros for a longer journey - again, only if you have had good service.

Yes, although in France 10% service charge is already added to all restaurant bills so need to tip at all - this is generally just included in the meal price rather than itemised separately on the bill.

By the way, beware a growing trend throughout Europe; if you are given bread or any other 'extra' without having requested it, check your bill to see if it has been itemised/charged (even if you haven't eaten it) as this is an insidious way of adding a service charge.

Edited by campolady

Correct. If you really feel the need to tip, no more than 1-2 euros irrespective of how many bags you have and only if you have had exceptional service.

Correct. Many locals do tend just to leave the coins but we generally give around 5% - not a great deal on the cost of a meal here where the average price of a 2-3 course meal for 2 including wine is around 50-60 Euros - but only as long as we have had good service and good food. Can't remember the last time we gave 10%!

Not routine to tip hotel housekeepers at all; if you really feel obliged to give something just leave some small change when you leave not each day. Certainly don't give a tip on arrival expecting to get superior service - you won't!

A small tip is appreciated if you have had good service - no more than 5%. You will rarely see Europeans giving anything, or at the most, just a bit of loose change. If you are on a coach excursion and feel that both the guide and driver deserve a little something give the same maximum of 5% split between the 2 not 5% each; don't give it all to the guide expecting him/her to automatically share it with the driver as this does not always happen.

Round the fare up to the next Euro for a short distance and give no more than a couple of Euros for a longer journey - again, only if you have had good service.

Yes, although in France 10% service charge is already added to all restaurant bills so need to tip at all - this is generally just included in the meal price rather than itemised separately on the bill.

By the way, beware a growing trend throughout Europe; if you are given bread or any other 'extra' without having requested it, check your bill to see if it has been itemised/charged (even if you haven't eaten it) as this is an insidious way of adding a service charge.

Thank you so much for the information!!

No worries on the tipping when I get to the hotel - I've never been one to believe in bribes. :)