Binoculars! So many choices!

4olivers

A few questions regarding binoculars:

Obviously I know we need them for hopefully capturing some great sights at a distance. What would be the recommended brand/magnification for novice/tourist use?

We are a group of nine, should each of us plan to have our own binoculars?

I've seen many brands that are waterproof/fog proof and I assume from all of my reading up on Alaska that this would be the ideal way to go?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Tried to edit this post....no longer can [emoji51]

I know there are a ton of other threads regarding binoculars and I have spent the last half hour looking through several but can't find some specific answers so maybe if I add on here someone could give me feedback.

What is the big difference between 8 x 42 or 10 x 42? I'm looking at 10x50 as well....

I know there are a ton of other threads regarding binoculars and I have spent the last half hour looking through several but can't find some specific answers so maybe if I add on here someone could give me feedback.

What is the big difference between 8 x 42 or 10 x 42? I'm looking at 10x50 as well....

Magnification and field of vision is the difference. For use from the ship I would go with the 8X42. I have a pair of 10X and they are much to strong to use from a ship or boat, they need to be held steady and the movement of ship and glasses may cause you to become seasick.

Perfect! And I have ordered my sons 8x25 - think these would be ok from the ship? (Or raft on our float in Talkeetna, sea plane on glacier tour)

Edited by 4olivers

Try typing "how to choose binoculars" into Google. You will get lots of useful hits.

DON

Try typing "how to choose binoculars" into Google. You will get lots of useful hits.

DON

I did! Typically before I post here I always Google and then determine if I feel my specific question is best for CC or if I've gotten my answer...honestly there was so much stuff overwhelmingly flooding my computer screen from big ole GOOGLE that I felt by narrowing my question and posting here to some true Alaskan travel experts I would get some good quality, direct answers. [emoji39]

Edited by 4olivers

Perfect! And I have ordered my sons 8x25 - think these would be ok from the ship? (Or raft on our float in Talkeetna, sea plane on glacier tour)

From a stability point of view they will be fine, however they will have a limited field of vision but almost no one sits with a pair of binoculars up to their eyes all day.

To prepare for our Alaska cruise trip, we have done some extensive research before we purchased our binoculars. We also learnt a few things: (1) the binoculars need to be waterproof. If it rains, the moisture will not get inside the binoculars and ruin the whole trip; (2) 10x is great for distant viewing and 8x is perfect for whale watching on the cruiseship or boat with better stability; (3) we preferred 42mm over smaller size for brightness. We used to have a 10x25 TASCO binoculars. But the view was so dim that we hardly ever used it; (4) Don't over spend on binoculars. My DH is a bird watcher and he spent $2k for some top end Swarovski binoculars. For the rest of our family, we are very happy with $150 Zen-Ray VISTA binoculars; (5) besides size, make sure that you get binoculars with lens coated with fully multi coating to brightness.

Hope this helps.

To prepare for our Alaska cruise trip, we have done some extensive research before we purchased our binoculars. We also learnt a few things: (1) the binoculars need to be waterproof. If it rains, the moisture will not get inside the binoculars and ruin the whole trip; (2) 10x is great for distant viewing and 8x is perfect for whale watching on the cruiseship or boat with better stability; (3) we preferred 42mm over smaller size for brightness. We used to have a 10x25 TASCO binoculars. But the view was so dim that we hardly ever used it; (4) Don't over spend on binoculars. My DH is a bird watcher and he spent $2k for some top end Swarovski binoculars. For the rest of our family, we are very happy with $150 Zen-Ray VISTA binoculars; (5) besides size, make sure that you get binoculars with lens coated with fully multi coating to brightness.

Hope this helps.

Thank you!!!! Roof or Porro Prism?! I only ordered one pr of the 8x25 so I may get 42's for the others.

I've seen several posts about the Zen-Ray Vista being a great option. Your answer was very helpful!!

We all see things differently & if you want to enjoy wildlife & nature at the same time it is difficult to share.

10x anything is overkill & extremely difficult to use from a moving ship or train.

After much research & trying several pairs of binoculars from a sporting goods stores we settled on the following. Mostly because they fit our budget, easy focus thru the eye piece, water & fog proof, & of a weight we could easily manage.

Wife like the Bushnell 8X32 Trophy XLT

I Liked the Vortex 8X42 Diamondback

Good luck as this is a very individual decision...

Happy Travels, John

We purchased a pair of Nikon Monarch 10x42 binoculars that I really like. It is a little larger in size but not huge and I have no problems with stability with the 10x magnification. We have been very happy with Nikon optics since we use their cameras also.

My wife wanted a smaller more compact size so we went with Alpen 10x25 as a second set. She wanted a more portable pair that could easily be put in a pocket of a jacket. We purchased them on-line thru the "big box" store.

We spent a lot of time "trying them on" at outdoors stores to see how large the field of view was and the clarity of the lens before we purchased them. So far we have been very happy with both purchases.

From another view... I want to share what I see with others.... I decided to get a DSLR with a good zoom lens instead.
I bought binoculars before my trip, but with my camera around my neck, the binoculars just got in the way. I'm hoping to use them next year when we're in Denali, but I bet I'll go for the camera first.

Cruise More Often

Go online & look at OP/Tech USA They have nice quality at affordable prices.

Sure you can find a system that will work for you.

I often have my binoculars on a separate strap against my chest while carry my Nikon DLSR on a sling strap. They do not interfere with each other & I have the best of both worlds. Of course if I could only carry one, it would be the camera.

Happy Travels, John

I'm interested in buying better binoculars than we currently own for our upcoming cruises. There have been so many instances on our past cruises where we wished we had good binoculars with us.

I will see my brother in law this weekend and he will bring his naval binoculars with him for me to check out before I hastily purchase anything. They are 7 x 50.

I will post when I return from my weekend after using them at the beach.

I'm interested in buying better binoculars than we currently own for our upcoming cruises. There have been so many instances on our past cruises where we wished we had good binoculars with us.

I will see my brother in law this weekend and he will bring his naval binoculars with him for me to check out before I hastily purchase anything. They are 7 x 50.

I will post when I return from my weekend after using them at the beach.

Great!!! Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you!!!! Roof or Porro Prism?! I only ordered one pr of the 8x25 so I may get 42's for the others.

I've seen several posts about the Zen-Ray Vista being a great option. Your answer was very helpful!!

The Zen-Ray binoculars are roof prism ones. I don't like the Porro prism binoculars. They are too bulky for my hands. The 42mm Zen-Ray VISTA is a perfect size for me and my teen daughters.

The Zen-Ray binoculars are roof prism ones. I don't like the Porro prism binoculars. They are too bulky for my hands. The 42mm Zen-Ray VISTA is a perfect size for me and my teen daughters.

That is what use too. We like it a lot and always pack a couple of pairs for our cruise.

To specifically answer a couple of your questions:

Yes, everyone needs their own if they expect to use them. The last thing you want to be doing is passing around a pair of binoculars when there are whales or other wildlife that come and go in an instance.

Secondly, one size does not fit all! There is a good chance you and your wife and children will all find a particular size and strength that will work for you best.

Finally, I would never purchase binoculars on line UNLESS YOU or the person that's going to use them have given them a complete test drive. Like I say what is perfect for one person may be very hard to focus or use for another.

I would agree with others, don't overspend. There are lots of options that are affordable and will leave funds for the excursions you will want to use the binoculars on.

I agree one size does not fit all.

I own a pair of Canon 10x30 IS (Image Stabilization) II.

I just love them, the IS makes a world of difference. I use them outside of cruising (nature walks, football, etc.)

If I were to buy binoculars just for one cruise, probably would not have spent that much ($450 or so), but I use mine a lot.

I don't think I could go back to non-IS, it would give me a headache with the image motion.

This post was very helpful. I've spent the afternoon running around between 2 West Marines, REI, and LLBean 'testing' binoculars as well as doing research online (starting with information on this post).

I almost purchased the Nikon Monarch 8 x 42 but I have decided to go with the Zen Ray.