Klein Bonaire ??

patbob

Thanks for posting the link again.

Is there some shade by the bushes as my DH is so fearful of sunburn?

Moya

Forget the shade, there's none. Does anyone have a picture of Klein from the dock at a distance? Then you will have a real sense of what it is. It's a mini island just off the coast.

Forget the shade, there's none. Does anyone have a picture of Klein from the dock at a distance? Then you will have a real sense of what it is. It's a mini island just off the coast.

Obviously you were not very observant of the foliage on Klein Bonaire if indeed you were there at all. Many of the folks on our excursion sat under the welcome shade of the medium height bushes after snorkling the beautiful waters there. The island is uninhabited but quite large and would take several hours to walk around.

• 6 years later...

Someone mentioned there was "a hut where you can rent out snorkel gear, buy drinks, as well as underwater cameras."

This is an old post & was wondering, do they still rent snorkel gear on Klein Bonaire Island?

Edited by TMW67

• 1 month later...

We took the RCCL water taxi on our visit last month. There was no hut. We were told that because it is a protected marine park, no sales are allowed on the islet.

However, the water taxi people were renting masks and snorkels on board. No fins, you don't need them. We brought ours, so I don't know the price. We were given a drink ticket and there was a tent set up for punch, rum punch or a bottle of water.

The hut below on the left has limited benches and is about the only shade available.

DSCN1190.JPG

And the obligatory snorkeling photos:

DSCN1208.JPG

DSCN1322.JPG

DSCN1314.JPG

DSCN1349.JPG

DSCN1371.JPG

A newer model has been released by Nikon, but we have the Nikon COOLPIX AW120.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-COOLPIX-Waterproof-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00IA9LQK6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441469337&sr=8-1&keywords=coolpix+aw120

Edited by cyntil8ing
Removed HUGE photo and just left the link

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I keep seeing posts about doing the water taxi's on your own. Could someone please tell us where the water taxi is from the terminal. We will be on the Carnival Glory in early Nov. Thanks

There is water taxi that leaves from the bar area right down from pier.

• 8 months later...

Let's see if I can resurrect this thread rather than starting a new one!

We will be in Bonaire on both our September 16 cruise and our March 17 cruise. Looking to go to Bonaire at least once.

Does anyone have current pricing for the water taxis and are they fairly close to the cruise ship pier. We can do an excursion to Klein on both cruises, but would prefer to do it on our own. Wifes would like to stay on the beach while the guys do some snorkeling.

Thanks in advance.

Let's see if I can resurrect this thread rather than starting a new one!

We will be in Bonaire on both our September 16 cruise and our March 17 cruise. Looking to go to Bonaire at least once.

Does anyone have current pricing for the water taxis and are they fairly close to the cruise ship pier. We can do an excursion to Klein on both cruises, but would prefer to do it on our own. Wifes would like to stay on the beach while the guys do some snorkeling.

Thanks in advance.

This is the main water taxi company, there may be others.

http://www.goodreturnbonaire.com/

As above old post states, just head left toward town when you get off the ship - there will be tents selling tours, You'll probably find one or more ferry reps there.

Or, walk on into town to Karels Bar, where the ferry dock is. Bonaire is small, you cannot get lost.

$20 RT according to the website. No need for a ship tour, for sure.

As an aside, the "beach" area is primitive, nothing glam for the ladies - no chairs, palm trees or anything.

You might consider Woodwind (many threads here, or just Google); you and your friend can get in some world class snorkeling off Klein Bonaire, and the ladies can just stay on the boat.

• 4 weeks later...
A question to those of you who booked the water taxi through the cruiseline, did you have to take the taxi back at an assigned time or could you choose to catch a later water taxi back?

You don't need to book through the cruiseline just to go over. See my above post, just get off the ship and walk up to the dock. Why pay the ship any extra?

You can come and go as you please, they'll give you their schedule (hourly, or maybe on the half hour, just ask). Take any one back that you like, as long as it is the same company.

You don't need to book through the cruiseline just to go over. See my above post, just get off the ship and walk up to the dock. Why pay the ship any extra?

You can come and go as you please, they'll give you their schedule (hourly, or maybe on the half hour, just ask). Take any one back that you like, as long as it is the same company.

I appreciate your suggestion. I thought I read in a prior post that the ship sponsored transports started very early. Our ship is in port from 7am to 4pm. The taxi compay's website says they transport to Klein Bonair at 10, 12 an 2, with return trips at 12:30, 2:30 and 4:30. I'd like to have some time in the late afternoon to wander in the shops. I looked up the times from the link a couple of posts above this one. Is there more than 1 company that taxi to Klein Bonair?

I cannot answer your exact question about the ship sponsored ferry timing.

But, I do know that all the island vendors, not just on Bonaire, tend to adjust their operating hours to coincide with a ship's time in port.

Will they start a ferry at 7:30? Maybe not, but I would be very surprised if , say, Good Return waited till 10 for their first trip over on a day when a ship had short hours like your 7 - 2.

There are several ferry companies, and of course you need to follow your own comfort level, but this is a very easy island for a do it yourself excursion. If it were me, I would just pack up and leave the ship when I was ready, then head to town and find the earliest ride over to Klein.

The ferry dock is in town, so you'll have a chance for shopping on the way back to the ship. You'll pass right through a lovely outdoor market which has truly locally made arts and crafts. Not the typical made in China stuff one sees all over the islands.

I cannot answer your exact question about the ship sponsored ferry timing.

But, I do know that all the island vendors, not just on Bonaire, tend to adjust their operating hours to coincide with a ship's time in port.

Will they start a ferry at 7:30? Maybe not, but I would be very surprised if , say, Good Return waited till 10 for their first trip over on a day when a ship had short hours like your 7 - 2.

There are several ferry companies, and of course you need to follow your own comfort level, but this is a very easy island for a do it yourself excursion. If it were me, I would just pack up and leave the ship when I was ready, then head to town and find the earliest ride over to Klein.

The ferry dock is in town, so you'll have a chance for shopping on the way back to the ship. You'll pass right through a lovely outdoor market which has truly locally made arts and crafts. Not the typical made in China stuff one sees all over the islands.

I appreciate your response! We're comfortable taking local transportation and finding our way around the islands, so we may just jump off ship as early as we can and find a local vendor. Our ship is actually in port until 4pm, so we have plenty of time. I just want to be sure I have the end of the day to do a bit of shopping, similar to what you describe.

• 4 weeks later...
I appreciate your response! We're comfortable taking local transportation and finding our way around the islands, so we may just jump off ship as early as we can and find a local vendor. Our ship is actually in port until 4pm, so we have plenty of time. I just want to be sure I have the end of the day to do a bit of shopping, similar to what you describe.

When ship in port water taxi companies go back and forth non stop all day.

It's 20 min ride to the the island from the pier. So they will pick up passengers every hour.

• 1 month later...
I am thinking of using the water taxi on my own and then going snorkeling. Where do you leave your personal belongings while you snorkel?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You have 2 options. Leave everything on the beach, just take cash and phone with you in waterproof bag or take turns to snorkel.

• 5 months later...

When we were there last week ost people just find a tree or bush to put there stuff under. We took our money and IDs in a waterproof bag and left everything else on shore. Due to limited options for getting too and from the island, not the best place for those who wish to commit larceny.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Forums mobile app

• 3 months later...

From what I have found there are no facilities (food, water, bathrooms, rentals, etc) on Klein Bonaire at all. Youl would either need to find someplace in port to rent equipment or bring your own.

This site has good information and would be worth a read before you commit.

http://www.tropicalsnorkeling.com/snorkeling-klein-bonaire.html

I am thinking of using the water taxi on my own and then going snorkeling. Where do you leave your personal belongings while you snorkel?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You will see people have left their bags or belongings in little piles up against shrubs while snorkeling.