On The Go Lunch for Hawaiʻi Volcanoes National Park?

b00kbug

Hey all,

Is there a place on the way to the park that we can grab a backpack-able lunch to eat while we hike? If not - suggestions on things we can snag from the cruise ship before we disembark?

Thanks!

Not much on the way to the park after you leave Hilo. There is a Subway in Hilo that is on the way. Also a couple of gas stations that have pre-packaged snacks and sandwiches. There is a local grocery store (KTA) on the right on the way out of Hilo where you can get sandwiches made at the deli counter. They also have bento boxes (a favorite local transportable lunch) and other local fun fare to grab and go. I wouldn't wait to find something much beyond Hilo.

Have fun!!

You can't take food ashore....BIG NO NO! There is PLENTY of food in Hawaii..you will find something, I promise!

While this true in most locations, the OP is on Pride of America. Everything is sourced from Hawaii. Not sure you reply applies, but could be wrong.

I agree, there is plenty of food in Hawaii. Not on the trails, but can be acquired.

It would be helpful if you replied to comments made on your posts.

Edited by CruiserBruce

While this true in most locations, the OP is on Pride of America. Everything is sourced from Hawaii. Not sure you reply applies, but could be wrong.

I agree, there is plenty of food in Hawaii. Not on the trails, but can be acquired.

CB is as usual wrong, but the food is not all sourced from Hawaii. It is mostly US sourced, but like much on the islands, it is brought from the mainland. I know that at one time, as much produce as possible was sourced from a farmer's co-op on Maui (both as a prop to the local economy as well as saving on shipping costs), but there are some things that are just not grown locally. Having said that, just like documentation and ID, POA is a special case, and there is no restrictions on taking food off the ship.

You can't take food ashore....BIG NO NO! There is PLENTY of food in Hawaii..you will find something, I promise!

The OP was asking about places to stop at to pick up to-go food, NOT taking from the ship. :roll eyes:

Honestly, the KTA stores are pretty darn good for goodies for the road. Sandwiches made to order, a poke counter (my fave), deli section with different salads, a good drink selection, and the chip section with taro chips and Maui Kettle chips... There is one at the intersection of Puainako and Mamalahoa Hwy (route 11), which is the road to HVNP...

What the...?:confused:

It would be nice if you actually knew what you were talking about before you posted.

As usual, you won't return to see just how wrong you are.

:rolleyes:

Edited by greatlakesgirl

The OP was asking about places to stop at to pick up to-go food, NOT taking from the ship. :roll eyes:

Honestly, the KTA stores are pretty darn good for goodies for the road. Sandwiches made to order, a poke counter (my fave), deli section with different salads, a good drink selection, and the chip section with taro chips and Maui Kettle chips... There is one at the intersection of Puainako and Mamalahoa Hwy (route 11), which is the road to HVNP...

Note the second sentence in the OP's post...about things "they can snag from the cruise ship".

As usual, you won't return to see just how wrong you are.

:rolleyes:

That's frustrating because not engaging in a discussion is routine with their posts on this forum & apparently they're too busy posting throughout the many other CC forums to respond.

CC is most helpful when there's an exchange of information & making statements without being willing to participate in a discussion is useless for me. Frequent short posts that state "don't waste your time doing (fill in the blank) are useless & lack credibility for me when refusing to participate in a discussion.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thanks all!

I would really prefer to grab something on the island rather than resort to snagging something from the ship - I prefer to eat like a local when I am traveling. Especially since I am not likely to find alot of these food back home!

I will definitely check out the KTA store!

We are planning to hike all day and I wanted to grab something to bring with us rather than worrying about leaving the park, eating, then going back.

Man, I would LOVE to take poke with me, but I doubt that will hold up well until lunch time. :( I am dying to have it often on our Hawaii trip though. I'll need to sneak it in as much as I can since my husband is not a fish person - and for sure not a raw fish person! Loser. :p

When we were on POA a few years ago they actually had a sandwich bar set up during breakfast where you could pack a picnic lunch to take ashore. Don't know though if they still do this.

That would be convenient! Hope that's still an option.

CB is as usual wrong, but the food is not all sourced from Hawaii. It is mostly US sourced, but like much on the islands, it is brought from the mainland. I know that at one time, as much produce as possible was sourced from a farmer's co-op on Maui (both as a prop to the local economy as well as saving on shipping costs), but there are some things that are just not grown locally. Having said that, just like documentation and ID, POA is a special case, and there is no restrictions on taking food off the ship.

Thanks for the info about being able to take food off the ship.

• 1 month later...

We packed a lunch every day on the cruise ship, not just to save money but for convenience as we knew most days we would be wet and sandy and it would be hard to try to find a place to eat and be dry enough to go in. I was very glad we packed a lunch on our Hilo day as we were no where near food on the chain or craters road. So we stopped at a look out and had our lunch. We packed peanut butter and jelly and a ham and cheese sandwich, pineapple, cantaloupe and watermelon for lunch every day as well as ice water that we packed in the 2 thermos we brought from home.