A Taste of Scenic

Solent Richard

29373761554_cfccd18ea0_z.jpg

My wife and I have recently returned from an outstanding cruise on the Bordeaux rivers on board Scenic Diamond.

This was a 1o night itinerary on one of Scenic's Space Ships which, incidentally, is soon to undergo a major refit.

We were certainly impressed with all pre-cruise administrative arrangements, online cruise personaliser and quality of pre-cruise documentation…

29372851194_ae79a42eca_z.jpg

This was our first river cruise with Scenic. We were equally attracted by their much heralded 5-Star Space Ships plus their claim that the experience would be “…what you would expect from a 5-star river cruise taken to a whole new level.”

For this cruise we had booked a Junior Balcony Suite (202) on Sapphire Deck…

29918433541_b290f63bc9_z.jpg

While the layout of the ship is similar to most river cruise ships the overall impression is one of considerably more space...

29373759744_753f8f3bae_z.jpg

29887877352_92870f8fa0_z.jpg

Scenic Diamond was of course truly ‘All Inclusive’ and when it came to wines they really excelled. Most river cruise lines offer wines etc with lunch and dinner but with Scenic they are available all day. And not just house wines: this was to prove one of the very best wine selections we have experienced.

Wines served at both lunch and dinner were offered in a choice of no less than 12 varieties.

On Scenic Diamond we experienced their two additional dining experiences, Table La Rive and the intimate speciality restaurant, L'Amour. Available to all passengers through an onboard booking system it proved a most enjoyable culinary experience...

30001293125_9c33b7d29f_z.jpg

A full review with over 80 photographs of both the ship and the itinerary stops can be found on my cruise blog: here is the link...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2016/10/01/scenic-diamond-beautiful-bordeaux/

We did the same 10 night itinerary on the Diamond in April. Enjoyed many things about it but for us it lacked any entertainment and we found the dining choices limited.

Wine selection was very nice. Excursions were limited in variety on our cruise (the first of the season as it turned out so maybe some shake down) and there was a lot of busing.

The major renovation was completed already according to Scenic. They are adding a gym, pool, and a few suites. Also the culinary center. Public areas and cabins are staying the same.

We totally enjoyed sailing with so many Aussies and Brits - they were so much fun!

Edited by caviargal

Solent Richard,

Thanks so much for posting your lovely photos and also your blog. We are doing a combined 21 day cruise next September with Scenic called the Gems of the Seine and Beautiful Bordeaux. These will be the first time we have done a river cruise though we have taken barges on our own with another couple along the Saone and Midi Canal in France.

Your blog and photos are great and has helped us enormously. I have just two questions if you don't mind. The first is when can you book the L'Amour. Is it when you go onboard or can you do it online? Secondly, you mentioned that you booked a table for two but changed it after you were on board. How did you go about booking your table for two as there doesn't seem to be anywhere on the booking form or on the organizer where you can put down what size table you would prefer.

Thanks once again.

Jennie

Edited by Aussie Gal

How did you go about booking your table for two as there doesn't seem to be anywhere on the booking form or on the organizer where you can put down what size table you would prefer.

Thanks once again.

Jennie

You cannot prebook a table for 2, or for that matter any table size. Tables are not reserved or assigned in the MDR; they are luck of the draw.

When we travel alone we prefer a table for 2 and sometimes were able to snag one on the Diamond.

We dined at both Table La Rive and L'Amour. Le Rive was one long table and L'Amour we were seated at a table for 8. While you can pre-book your dinner reservations, you cannot reserve a table for 2.

Edited by caviargal

Caviargirl I beg to differ you can request a table for two at LaAmour and you book it through the restraunt manager or your butler when you are on board. In the past we have actually been twice during a cruise once on our own and again with a group.

Aussie Gal we have done both the cruises you are doing both are wonderful in different was, enjoy yourselves, you will be old hands by the time you return home. CA

Caviargirl I beg to differ you can request a table for two at LaAmour and you book it through the restraunt manager or your butler when you are on board. In the past we have actually been twice during a cruise once on our own and again with a group.

Aussie Gal we have done both the cruises you are doing both are wonderful in different was, enjoy yourselves, you will be old hands by the time you return home. CA

We were told it was not possible for L'Amour and we did ask for a table for two. Perhaps it was different on the Diamond when we were aboard, or perhaps the RM was a different person. There was more than one miss with food aboard our cruise.

Caviargirl and Canal archive,

Thanks for your posts. We will wait until we go onboard and then decide on when we will eat at La Amour. We will also be prepared to not only eat on our own but with others. We too, like to have a table for two if possible and if we could have booked it beforehand, that would have been great. Otherwise, we are happy to share and in that way we do get to meet others.

We are very much looking forward to our River Cruise even though we do love being on the Ocean.

Jennie

Caviargirl and Canal archive,

Thanks for your posts. We will wait until we go onboard and then decide on when we will eat at La Amour. We will also be prepared to not only eat on our own but with others. We too, like to have a table for two if possible and if we could have booked it beforehand, that would have been great. Otherwise, we are happy to share and in that way we do get to meet others.

We are very much looking forward to our River Cruise even though we do love being on the Ocean.

Jennie

We were actually assigned the nights for both restaurants. Again, perhaps this was just our cruise but we would have liked to have a choice.

We met some wonderful people on our cruise and enjoyed almost everyone we met.

Have a wonderful cruise!

We were actually assigned the nights for both restaurants. Again, perhaps this was just our cruise but we would have liked to have a choice.

We met some wonderful people on our cruise and enjoyed almost everyone we met.

Have a wonderful cruise!

We were assigned a night also but were easily able to change it.

Solent Richard,

Thanks so much for posting your lovely photos and also your blog. We are doing a combined 21 day cruise next September with Scenic called the Gems of the Seine and Beautiful Bordeaux. These will be the first time we have done a river cruise though we have taken barges on our own with another couple along the Saone and Midi Canal in France.

Your blog and photos are great and has helped us enormously. I have just two questions if you don't mind. The first is when can you book the L'Amour. Is it when you go onboard or can you do it online? Secondly, you mentioned that you booked a table for two but changed it after you were on board. How did you go about booking your table for two as there doesn't seem to be anywhere on the booking form or on the organizer where you can put down what size table you would prefer.

Thanks once again.

Jennie

Good afternoon Jennie.

Thank you for your kind comment.

We couldn't book L'Amour before joining. The Cruise Director will announce the time and venue when the Maitre 'D will be taking bookings.

They are very flexible with tables for two.

We only changed when folk we had met earlier asked us to join them literally minutes before dinner.

There were many Australians who joined Scenic Diamond 'after' doing the Seine cruise. They all agreed it was very good.

All the best.

Richard.

Richard: Walk-in bath? how does that work? Are they all like that or was this an accessible cabin?

No, not accessible, that's how it was in the Junior Suite.

You wouldn't believe this but it is sealed electronically and works a treat.

I never actually opened the 'door' and the 'drain' works on the same press switch.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the great review & photos. We are taking our very first river cruise next month on the Scenic Jade (Budapest to Amsterdam) and can't wait!

You wont be disappointed. We are just back from Amsterdam to Budapest on the Jade. Staff are so good! Nothing was too much trouble. I felt sorry for them though as they never seem to sleep! You will be thoroughly spoilt.

You wont be disappointed. We are just back from Amsterdam to Budapest on the Jade. Staff are so good! Nothing was too much trouble. I felt sorry for them though as they never seem to sleep! You will be thoroughly spoilt.

That's great to hear....we can't wait! We fly out 2 weeks from today. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you everyone for your kind comments.

I'm still a little busy writing the sequel, the FULL itinerary and will post a link when it is finished.

Very Impressive Solent Richard, and my hat is off to You Sir for such a Great and Wonderful Job. I think that the next cruise with Scenic should be on them as with your Blog not only of The Diamond but also your cruise and those of us that are Reading and Looking at your Lovely Photos just wants to make us all pack right now and Go On Scenic that is.

You and I have talked several different times in the past as I have asked various different questions and you were always so very nice in helping me out.

Lisa and I are going to be cruising next September in France and doing what is called The Spectacular South Of France ( Wine Country ) with Paris and Monte Carlo on The newly Redesigned Sapphire and lucky also as Scenic called to see if we wanted to be Upgraded to one of The New Royal Owners Suites as we were in one of The Royal Panorama Suites,so we shall see what the differences are.

Just wanted to ask what sort of camera are you using as your photos have come out excellent.

Once again thanks for sharing as you are certainly a true artist when it comes to writing your Travel Blog.

Cheers and

Warmest Wishes

Lisa and Gary

LoneStarCruisinCouple

Ps Howdy Canal and still think we all need to plan another cruise on Scenic Together..