Favorite Barcelona Hotel

kandj05

Booked at the Hotel LLeo for a few nights pre-cruise - glad to read the good experiences/reviews and looking forward to staying at a new 'spot' (usually stay at the Montecarlo but alas it has been sold so had to find somewhere else to stay :( )

My favourite is Holiday Inn in Poble Nou. It is close to a local Rambla and a short walk from the beach. It is not so touristy which is why I like it.

I also like Travelodge in Poble Nou. Again convenience and good VFM.

There is a metro nearby which will take you to the tourist areas. Also stop for open top tour bus is within walking distance.

WE just returned from cruise yesterday and had a great 2 night stay at Barcelona Universal in room with terrace on 9th floor, really nice small pool and bar on 10th floor with a great city view. Tapas bars in the area were really good and cheap, 1st one we stopped at only charged us 3 euro's for 2 Amstel light beers, hotel also has a very nice breakfast buffet for 15 euro's that includes champagne, we will stay here again if we get the chance to visit this beautiful city again. Walk to Las Rambles was just 10 mins

I'm glad you enjoyed Barcelona Universal George! Those terrace rooms are very nice.

When I return to Barcelona I will stay there again.

/Erik

• 2 weeks later...

Our favorite is the Hilton Diagonal Mar... it is part of the convention center, great shopping right across the street from the hotel. Beautiful views of the Mediterranean. We have been to Barcelona many times... so we prefer off the beaten track, i.e., no where near the Las Rambles....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Thank you EnricM. I really appreciate the speedy response and clarification. We will arrive in Barcelona, from our cruise, on May 4, 2017. We arrive very early. We have one day to see what we can see. We plan to go to Sagrada Familia. We are wondering if we should do a HOHO bus? Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

Hi. We've booked this hotel based on the good reviews from trip adviser. We go next October 2017 for 2 nights pre cruise. Be interesting to have your feedback when you get back home.

No

Hi. We've booked this hotel based on the good reviews from trip adviser. We go next October 2017 for 2 nights pre cruise. Be interesting to have your feedback when you get back home.[/quote

I would we happy to report when we get back. I appreciate all of the advice and help I received so happy to pay it forward. :)

Edited by Ron & Kristy

Not a hotel, but we just stayed in a VRBO listing for the very first time. We will do it again next year while in Rome pre-cruise and Tuscany post cruise. It was a wonderful experience. We stayed in a great location close to the Metro and in an easy walk to grocery stores and restaurants. We were in the heart of a local neighborhood, so we feel as if we really got to experience what it would feel like to live in Barcelona. We lucked out because our hosts were very involved when we asked, but gave us complete privacy otherwise. They even picked us up from the airport and took us on a tour to Montsserrat! That is probably above what I would usually expect to receive. I will try to stay at a VRBO or Air2B listing from now on whenever we are staying in one location 3 or more nights. Most owners require a minimum stay of three nights, some more. It is also more affordable than most hotels, especially when sharing with another couple or two.

I would search for a listing on VRBO or Air2B based on price, location and reviews. We are sharing a 4 bedroom, 4 bath villa next year in Tuscany with three other couples and a 3 bedroom, 3 bath apartment in Rome with two other couples,, both for 5 nights. We will be staying in Barcelona for only one night next year pre-transatlantic and will be staying then at the Hotel Cotinental Palacete. We checked out the public areas when we were there a few weeks ago and it looks lovely.

Be careful with Airbnb! I was booked three times because the the owners decided to refuse. This was after I paid for the apartment. This happened three separate times. Not an explanation at all. Airbnb would not take responsibility but did refund. After that we booked B&B. Blew think they wanted more money but just decided to cancel. Just saying.

Be careful with Airbnb! I was booked three times because the the owners decided to refuse. This was after I paid for the apartment. This happened three separate times. Not an explanation at all. Airbnb would not take responsibility but did refund. After that we booked B&B. Blew think they wanted more money but just decided to cancel. Just saying.

That is unfortunate. I would only book with owners who have five star reviews. Our experience has been with VRBO but I understood that Airbnb was similar. On that note, one member of our Roll Call had one of the reputable hotels in Barcelona cancel her reservation (or deny she had one, even though she had confirmation) just before leaving. No matter who you book with, confirm the reservation a couple of weeks least least before leaving. I am glad that Airbnb gave you a refund, at least.

Local authorities have been cracking down on the rental of tourist apartments of which over 40% are illegal. They have imposed a potential fine of 600,000 euro which has caused many owners to be extremely cautious. Residents have been requested to 'report' any suspected temporary apartment rentals to the local authorities.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/09/19/airbnb-faces-fresh-crackdown-in-barcelona-as-city-council-asks-residents-to-report-illegal-rentals/

Local authorities have been cracking down on the rental of tourist apartments of which over 40% are illegal. They have imposed a potential fine of 600,000 euro which has caused many owners to be extremely cautious. Residents have been requested to 'report' any suspected temporary apartment rentals to the local authorities.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/09/19/airbnb-faces-fresh-crackdown-in-barcelona-as-city-council-asks-residents-to-report-illegal-rentals/

The owner of our apartment did mention "illegal apartments". We did have to provide her with a copy of our passports so that she could turn them into some board that makes her apartments legal. The other poster's apartment may be illegal which is why it was cancelled without notice. I am not sure how to know if one is legal or not, unless they have been renting out for a long time with a large number of positive reviews. I suppose that would make your chances of getting a legal apartment better. If anyne knows how to know for sure, please post it here.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello,

I just booked the Hotel Regina. Has anyone ever stayed here ? Would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Jane

We stayed there a few years ago, very nice hotel with friendly staff in a great location. Wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

• 4 weeks later...

It's right on one of the piers. We docked there so we walked 30 seconds from the ship to the front door.

Accommodations were fine - modern. Good rooftop bar area. Food was pricey although you can walk to the lower end of Las Ramblas and find numerous (touristy) restaurants. There is Taller de Tapas within walking distance and it was fine.

The hoho bus stops right in front of the hotel, if that is of interest to you.

It appears to be right on or near the pier....is that correct? You've stayed there? How was the accommodations?

It's right on one of the piers. We docked there so we walked 30 seconds from the ship to the front door.

Accommodations were fine - modern. Good rooftop bar area. Food was pricey although you can walk to the lower end of Las Ramblas and find numerous (touristy) restaurants. There is Taller de Tapas within walking distance and it was fine.

The hoho bus stops right in front of the hotel, if that is of interest to you.

You need to be aware that it is right on the pier where VERY few ships sail from - eg smaller ships such as Azamara.

If you are sailing with most other lines, the pier is some distance away and not walkable.

Whilst it would be extremely convenient if you are sailing from the World Trade Centre pier it is less so from the main pier and you would still need to catch the port bus. It's also pretty expensive compared to many hotels in Barcelona