Viking on board credit - proof of purchase?

zitsky

On my 4 page Viking Statement, I see it listed under "Promotional Amenities" on page 3.

It's interesting that Viking sent an e-mail notifying me of the optional tours they will provide.

No where does it allow you to apply your OBC to it.

Why must they make you wait till you board to book it? Oh well.

On my 4 page Viking Statement, I see it listed under "Promotional Amenities" on page 3.

It's interesting that Viking sent an e-mail notifying me of the optional tours they will provide.

No where does it allow you to apply your OBC to it.

Why must they make you wait till you board to book it? Oh well.

Could you possibly tell me the subject line for that email? I can't seem to find an invoice. I've been dealing with a travel agency.

EDIT: This is what I have from my travel agency. Can't find a Viking invoice. How do I tell Viking which option I want?

Discounts From: Viking Amount

Amenities Included

Promo Offer: Your choice of 1) A complimentary Silver Spirits Package; or 2) $300 per stateroom Shipboard Credit or 3) Prepaid Onboard Gratuities. Booking Window: Oct 1, 2016 - Dec 31, 2016

Edited by zitsky

So I think I know the reason that my TA doesn't just send me a page with documentation of the shipboard credit. She admitted to me that she has the info from an invoice that Viking sent. I'm sure the TA doesn't want to share the invoice because it contains pricing info.

TA did reassure me that we do have the credit. I've already been pretty firm with my TA, asking for documentation. I don't need to call her up and yell at her. I consider this a minor issue. Yes I could have dealt with Viking directly but their price was more than a $1,000 over my TA's price.

Just putting this out there as a minor example of the downside of not dealing with Viking directly.

My TA always forwards the cruise line invoice to me. It shows that my deposit and other payments were actually made to the cruise line. [Actually, there's no doubt on that because they come through my credit card as paid to the cruise line, not to the TA. But I still want to have the actual cruise line invoice printed out as I board, in case there are any issues.] So no, this is not an example of "the downside of not dealing with Viking directly" -- it is either a misunderstanding with your TA or a sign that this isn't a good TA...

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

Viking produces two types of statements.

Guest Statement- When you book directly with them, it's sent to you.

Agency Statement- When the TA does the booking, or takes it over. They get ot.

Difference between the two-Commission (listed on the first page).

Here is what I do and I'm surprised more people don't do it.

1-Booking directly with Viking. This allows you to ask all the questions directly to Viking and not a TA. Take care of the air arrangements directly with Viking. Argued with them directly when they tell you some story about the loyalty benefits you know you should get. When everything is settled, do to #2.

2-Wait for a great TA promotion. For example, double cash back, more OBC, whatever....and then transfer it to them.

Apparently you have 60 days from booking to do so.

Although I had a $200 onboard credit from my TA, she didn't tell us, nor did any of the crew ever mention it. On the night our Program Director talked about disembarkation procedures, I got a preliminary invoice of my personal onboard charges. It wasn't until then that I knew about the credit. The optional tour I'd signed up for onboard was taken from my credit, as were the few drinks I'd had outside of lunch and dinner. Since I still had credit and the trip was ending, I bought a red Viking fleece. When I got home, I looked carefully at the invoices I'd received from my TA and saw nothing about a credit. I thought maybe she'd told us verbally, but my cousin didn't remember hearing anything about it either.

Although I had a $200 onboard credit from my TA, she didn't tell us, nor did any of the crew ever mention it. On the night our Program Director talked about disembarkation procedures, I got a preliminary invoice of my personal onboard charges. It wasn't until then that I knew about the credit. The optional tour I'd signed up for onboard was taken from my credit, as were the few drinks I'd had outside of lunch and dinner. Since I still had credit and the trip was ending, I bought a red Viking fleece. When I got home, I looked carefully at the invoices I'd received from my TA and saw nothing about a credit. I thought maybe she'd told us verbally, but my cousin didn't remember hearing anything about it either.

Did that credit show up in your travel documents from Viking as Capt_BJ mentioned? I wonder if they're not consistent?

Did that credit show up in your travel documents from Viking as Capt_BJ mentioned? I wonder if they're not consistent?

All my cruise documents were online, and I didn't see anything there about a credit. Since the credit was from my TA and not Viking, that could be the reason. Maybe that's also why none of the Viking crew ever reminded me about the credit.

• 3 months later...

Even though I have asked this question on a previous post I will ask again on this thread. We have $400 OBC noted on our invoice from Viking, a tour we booked with a TA. We have since decided we would like like to use this credit for the Silver Seas beverage pkg. has anyone used their OBC this way?

All my cruise documents were online, and I didn't see anything there about a credit. Since the credit was from my TA and not Viking, that could be the reason. Maybe that's also why none of the Viking crew ever reminded me about the credit.

Why don't you ask your TA to get it sorted out and provide you with documentation from Viking. It's the TA's job. And less stress for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It has been my experience in the past that OBC provided by my TA has not shown up on my pre cruise documentation from the cruise line, a variety of them, but then appears when I am on board. I always check early in the cruise to be sure. As this will be my first river cruise, coming in June, we will see if it works the same on Viking.

Thanks for this thread. I am going to call Viking tomorrow to be sure we have the $400 credit we got when we booked. Ours is kind of complicated since we have two (almost) back to backs on two different Viking ships. I am wondering which or both our credit is applied to....one booking number, but two different ships with a day on our own in Budapest in between.

Travel Agents receive 2 copies of invoices (plus a bunch of other documentation) from Viking Cruise Lines, one is the Agent Invoice, the other is the Guest Invoice for forwarding to the client. The OBC appears on the Guest Invoice, usually on Page 3, but this depends on how long the itinerary information and other booking details above it take up. It usually appears as this :

Promotional Amenities

NAV1 $200 Shipboard Credit

Your travel agent most likely also does their own in house invoice which is produced by the agent themselves, and they have a place to type this information in.

If you did not receive either of these things, please call your travel agent and have them request Viking to send them a copy of the Amenities page from your reservation to them, and they can forward this on to you.

It is not the difference of booking with Viking Cruises directly vs booking with a travel agent that you are suffering from, it's the difference of different travel agents styles.

By the way, the document you received that said Your choice of: .... this is an Offer or an Option, this is not a booking.