Art Auctions: Cut backs on HAL

billroddy

on Holiday..I have noticed a deff decline the past 6 months in their hype, and the position on the ship. They are no longer in the way of traffic in the walkways, and no more tabloids under my cabin doors.

The only thing I'll miss about the art itself being on board is that it gave me something to look at during moments when I was either waiting for DBF, or just had nothing to do. I never attended one of the auctions and wouldn't. No loss.

No surprise.

Art Auctions subsidize cabin prices on almost all cruise lines.

That long time poster, known to many, with more than 30 years of onboard employment, has said, many times, as soon as the Art Auctions ceased being profitable they would be replaced with something else.

on Holiday..I have noticed a deff decline the past 6 months in their hype, and the position on the ship. They are no longer in the way of traffic in the walkways, and no more tabloids under my cabin doors.

Unfortunately they were alive and well onboard the Statendam this past February, clogging up the walkways around the Ocean Bar and pestering us with the flyers. However, the one time I did peek into the Ocean Bar I saw very few people sipping the "free" champagne.

I, for one, will not miss them at all.

Valerie:)

I would rather pay a small extra cruise fare and not have the art auctions. I hate them. I have never seen the relevance to cruising.

Most people seem to dislike the art auctions and do not go to them (apart from a free glass or wine or champagne). Who actually buys these pictures?

Never attended one and never would. Better to buy local art in the ports. Maybe they can turn the enclosed space into a smokers bar and draw passengers from Celebrity, Azmara and Oceania. They could sell top shelf liquor and make a good profit.

Archived