Changing USD to euro at Barcelona airport

hsmcruise

Planning on taking a taxi from Barcelona airport to our hotel. I know that bank ATM usually have the best exchange rate. Are there bank ATM 's at the airport?

Also, we are arriving on a Sunday . Advice would be appreciated. Otherwise I'll just buy them from my bank in NY. Do cabs take credit cards in Barcelona?

No problem finding an ATM at the Terminal.

Spanish airports have great website with all info available in English, if need any other services.

http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Barcelona/en/Page/1045569607399//ATMs.html#ATMs

While easy to get a taxi on a Sunday, just be aware that fares are just a little higher on Sundays, so a 30 euro trip might be 34 euro.

There are multiple ATMs at BCN. just make sure to,use an ATM owned by a bank, and avoid those operated by companies like Travelex which will give you an awful exchange rate plus fees.

Hank

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In one word - DON'T! Change enough Dollars into Euros to last your first 24 hours before you leave home then withdraw what you need in the city centre. Barcelona Airport (and most other airports) ATMs give atrocious rates.

Edited by campolady

In one word - DON'T! Change enough Dollars into Euros to last your first 24 hours before you leave home then withdraw what you need in the city centre. Barcelona Airport (and most other airports) ATMs give atrocious rates.

The ATMs at Barcelona Airport are from Bankia, Banco Popular, Caixa Catalunya, La Caixa and Santander and as bank ATMs do not discriminate in rate just because they are located in the airport.

The La Caixa ATM is right on the bank location, just like any other branch office.

If there are any fees associated with the ATM they are disclosed prior to completing the transaction.

We always get our Euros at the airport whenever we arrive in Europe. There usually are many, they are easy to find because their locations are shown on the airport maps scattered on poles throughout and they always offer an English option.

Edited by CintiPam

Sorry to disagree with some of you...but I for one would rather not have to depend/find/use an ATM...We have found it easier to just have enough Euros (purchased from my home bank) with us...the difference in fees is a small one at least to us vs knowing I have them and don't have to run the risk of a problem that can happen with ATM's in a foreign country..Many of you depend on them when traveling but not having too has worked out very well for us.

I'm confused by the OP's title which is 'changing US dollars to euros' at the airport but actually asks about ATMs. I'm presuming that the OP understands that ATMs are not for exchanging one currency for another, they are for withdrawing currency using a debit card.

Sorry to disagree with some of you...but I for one would rather not have to depend/find/use an ATM...We have found it easier to just have enough Euros (purchased from my home bank) with us...the difference in fees is a small one at least to us vs knowing I have them and don't have to run the risk of a problem that can happen with ATM's in a foreign country..Many of you depend on them when traveling but not having too has worked out very well for us.

I understand your concern about ATMs not working out, so I carry additional US dollars with me that can be converted to local currency if necessary.

If I don't spend the dollars, I take them home and use them in the USA.

The rates that banks charge for exchange in the USA sometimes have an effective 10% fee, especially if you use your local bank.

Edited by 4774Papa
add more