Big, Beautiful Barcelona

BBMacLaird

I love Barcelona. It has a vibe that that excites the senses. People are lovely. There is so much to do. Love the restaurants and tapas bars. Museums are wonderful. Interesting boutiques. Beautiful waterfront area. Shopping is excellent. It is a center for cultural events. Las Ramblas is a happening place. My favorite hotel is the Meridien on Las Ramblas. So much to do. Fly in and stay. Spend some time soaking up the Catalonian charm. Once you have experienced Barcelona, you will be back. Love Barcelona.

Barcelona offers something interesting and exciting for everyone. The architecture is simply stunning and the restaurants mouthwatering. The shopping is almost unparalleled and the people are a delight.

I have lost count of the number of times that I have visited the city but am still excitedly planning what to do when I am there next on our upcoming Journey cruise. :)

We've been to other parts of Spain but never to Barcelona. We made the decision to book next year in great part because the cruise leaves from Barcelona! We plan to fly in a few days early and I can't wait! I've been lurking on the Ports of Call Board and on Trip Advisor for recommendations. Thanks, mzk90 for the restaurant suggestion!

Barcelona is truly one of the most wonderful cities in the world to visit. I would give only one caution: Be very careful with your wallets and purses.

Pickpockets are everywhere, and very bold. Do not keep wallets in a rear pocket--and all the other usual safeguards that I don't need to go into here. You can easily have what would otherwise be a wonderful visit ruined by such an incident.

We love Barcelona, it is a vibrant and fantastic City. I will echo a poster above, however. Be very careful of pick pockets. Our good friend almost had her purse stolen by kids on bicycles who came up from behind, but she held fast, kept her purse and a big bruised arm to spare.
Good thing they were on bikes, not motorcycles. Someone we knew was dragged for blocks behind a motorcycle when the rider tried to grab her pocketbook the strap for which was over her shoulder. Serious chronic medical problems resulted. Don't think it was Barcelona, but it was in Europe.

Barcelona is a beautiful city - I would encourage visitors to buy tickets in advance for Sagrada Familia (then you will get in and virtually no lines, who wants to spend two or three hours of precious Barca time in line). Try and get a ticket to go up one of the towers (lift up, stairs down). That way you see the magnificence of both Gaudis work and the surrounding area from above as well as within. Allow a good couple of hours minimum, it is such an amazing place, try and be there as the light changes, again so many things happen inside with light and shade

Yes it has crime but our experience it's no worse than any other major city.

Edited by uktog

I second the advice about visiting Sagrada Familia, but a word of caution about going up in a tower. The "many" steps down are circular and narrow, with several little windows or tiny balconies to step out to see the carved stone. Your calves "will" be aching.

But.....enjoy!

Hi Mare S!

Another restaurant to try is called "El Reloj." It's right by the City Park. Reasonable.. good food and if you get 2 dinners they include a bottle of wine for free! Yippee!! Check and make sure they still have that special though. The Delta flight attendant on the way over recommended it to us. Here is their review on trip advisor.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187497-d986378-Reviews-Restaurante_El_Reloj-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

If you are near the City Park there are rowboats for rent on the pond inside the park. It was fun.

Enjoy!!

Hi Mare S!

Another restaurant to try is called "El Reloj." It's right by the City Park. Reasonable.. good food and if you get 2 dinners they include a bottle of wine for free! Yippee!! Check and make sure they still have that special though. The Delta flight attendant on the way over recommended it to us. Here is their review on trip advisor.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187497-d986378-Reviews-Restaurante_El_Reloj-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

If you are near the City Park there are rowboats for rent on the pond inside the park. It was fun.

Enjoy!!

Thanks!

My husband and I looooooove Barcelona! We were most appreciative of the Journey bringing us there for not one but two overnights on our recent cruise. Not only is the city beautiful but it's so user friendly. There's cheap and reliable bus transportation between the airport and Placa Catalunya, and from there it's a hop, skip, and a jump to pier at the foot of Las Ramblas where the Journey (or Quest) docks. Sailing into or out of Barcelona on Azamara is the best way to go. Heartily recommend!!!