Passports

krazy4kruisin

From cbp.gov: "WHTI was successfully implemented on June 1, 2009 for entry into the U.S. by land and sea. U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry are required to present a WHTI-compliant document such as a valid passport, U.S. passport card, Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI, Global Entry or FAST), or an Enhanced Driver’s License."

Make sure you have one of those.

Depends on itinerary. Are you taking a road trip into the Yukon? Going to Victoria?

I've seen lots of erroneous information about travel documents posted on this forum so I advise you to look at the appropriate resources.

Check the Homeland Security web site and Canada Border Crossing Services because you need to know the regulations for going INTO Canada and RE-ENTERING the US.

Also, ask your cruiseline ... they could have stricter requirements than the govt. ie what if you have a medical emergency and a Canada hospital is closest. AND if you're going into the Yukon on an excursion, check with the vendor.

Of the 9 times I've been on a round trip cruise out of Seattle to Alaska I've been required to have a passport, when you fill out your information with the cruise line you'll be asked for your passport number, when you check in at the cruise terminal in Seattle you'll need to show your Passport. No Passport no go. It's not so much the Canadians it's the US customs and immigration. The only time I've had to show my Passport to anyone was coming back into the US from the Yukon and when I got back to Seattle. I know it's BS but that's just the way it is.

Do you take your passport when cruise=ing to Alaska? We are US citizens. I am not sure if it is really needed.

If you have a passport by all means take it. If you don't it is just like a closed loop Caribbean cruise and you can cruise with a BC and government ID.

Of the 9 times I've been on a round trip cruise out of Seattle to Alaska I've been required to have a passport, when you fill out your information with the cruise line you'll be asked for your passport number, when you check in at the cruise terminal in Seattle you'll need to show your Passport. No Passport no go. It's not so much the Canadians it's the US customs and immigration. The only time I've had to show my Passport to anyone was coming back into the US from the Yukon and when I got back to Seattle. I know it's BS but that's just the way it is.

This is absolutely NOT TRUE. US citizens can do a round trip cruise from Seattle with only a birth certificate and government issued photo ID. You can even go into Victoria on those trips without a passport. They don't even check. The one thing you DO need a passport for is any excursion into the Yukon out of Skagway.

Trust me, I know this for sure. Last summer we went on a round trip Seattle cruise to celebrate my son's high school graduation. Our family members all have passports, but we took my son's best friend, who does not have a passport. We had NO ISSUES whatsoever, either with the cruise or Victoria.

This is absolutely NOT TRUE. US citizens can do a round trip cruise from Seattle with only a birth certificate and government issued photo ID. You can even go into Victoria on those trips without a passport. They don't even check. The one thing you DO need a passport for is any excursion into the Yukon out of Skagway.

Trust me, I know this for sure. Last summer we went on a round trip Seattle cruise to celebrate my son's high school graduation. Our family members all have passports, but we took my son's best friend, who does not have a passport. We had NO ISSUES whatsoever, either with the cruise or Victoria.

Interesting...as many other's on this board have posted of problems (not being allowed off) getting off the ship in Victoria.

We are cruising round trip from Seattle on NCL. I confirmed and re confirmed with my travel agent and NCL directly. A passport is not required. You will need your birth certifcate (not a copy) and a government issued picture ID. The only concern is missing the ship in Victoria. There are 4 of us sailing. Two with passports and two with bc's.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

Of course, Alaskan ports are in the U.S.!

We did the Pearl last July (RT out of Seattle) and did the "Bennett Scenic Journey" - Skagway to Carcross, YT. It was made it very clear passports were required for that particular excursion. Chilkoot checked them before the excursion began and they were indeed checked by Canadian officials in Fraser, BC.

They may or may not be needed. Check the details of any excursion you take into Canada.

I don't have a problem of carrying a passport (a hot discussion topic here) so, it wasn't a big deal for me.

Interesting...as many other's on this board have posted of problems (not being allowed off) getting off the ship in Victoria.

In all my years on this board, I don't recall reading about anyone having trouble in Victoria. They don't even check anything except your cruise card. We have passports, but have never taken them off the ship in Victoria. We do carry photo ID just in case, but have never been asked for it.

In all my years on this board, I don't recall reading about anyone having trouble in Victoria. They don't even check anything except your cruise card. We have passports, but have never taken them off the ship in Victoria. We do carry photo ID just in case, but have never been asked for it.

Sorry but I have definitely read about people not being allowed to use the ferry...Are you saying this isn't true ?

Even on closed loop cruises in us, carribean, Mexico, etc, I always recommend and bring a passport. If you or someone in your party has to stay behind in a non us port for illness, etc you won't be able to accompany them without a passport and it is a big hassle getting back home!

Just my 2 cents but definitely worth the investment and for adults they are good for 10 years!

Sorry but I have definitely read about people not being allowed to use the ferry...Are you saying this isn't true ?

The ferry to/from Victoria is a completely different thing. I was talking about stops in Victoria on a closed-loop cruise out of Seattle.

I live in Alaska and cross the border frequently...canada is now very strict with their borders. They will not allow anyone that has a DUI or is behind on child care payments, not to mention felons. We are required to have our passports in the middle of winter when you even go by dogsled....amazing but true.

My family is cruising seattle RT with ncl as well, we all have passports except my 11 month old, I have been assured that a birth certificate is enough for the baby as what type of picture ID can a baby really have (except a passport obvi) has anyone else ever dealt with this situation?

Do you take your passport when cruise=ing to Alaska? We are US citizens. I am not sure if it is really needed.

Yes, bring it. Almost all cruises to/from Alaska make a foreign stop (Canada), they have to otherwise the ships would have to be US registered, and the crew compensated per US laws.

Technically a closed loop cruise (Seattle->Alaska->Seattle) you can get away with proof of citizenship/govt photo ID; but that would also prevent you from riding the train in Skagway to the top (Canada).

bring your passport if you have it.

• 2 weeks later...

For those of us that won't have our passports, which Skagway excursions are recommended? Is it worth taking the train ride that allows "no passports?" Is there any other local/non ship tour that would still be fun/memorable without going into the Yukon/crossing borders?

For those of us that won't have our passports, which Skagway excursions are recommended? Is it worth taking the train ride that allows "no passports?" Is there any other local/non ship tour that would still be fun/memorable without going into the Yukon/crossing borders?

On previous trips to AK you could take the roundtrip train excursion without needing a passport since you don't get off the train. I don't know whether that has changed or not. We always take our passport with us and keep it in the safe. If we need it on an excursion we take it out and keep it with us. They will remind you on the ship to take it with you if it is needed. I remember having to show it both times we entered and left the Yukon but I don't remember if we had to show it in Victoria. Since we have passports we just make it a habit of taking it with us when we fly or cruise - just in case.

I don’t see what the big deal is about getting Passport, everyone should have a Passport. You never know when you might need it. When I was working my wife and I got a paid 8 week working vacation in Europe because we were the only ones who had Passports. I just got my passport renewed, it only took 24 days from the day I sent it in to the day I got it back. Here are a couple of web sites that will give you more information on the requirements

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/canada-mexico-travel

And

http://gocanada.about.com/od/canadatraveloverview/qt/uscitizenborder.htm

And

http://www.worldtravelguide.net/canada/passport-visa

I love it on embarkation at Pier 91 terminal when the Princess rep’s are telling everyone at the bottom of the escalator when they go to the upper level to have their travel documents out for inspection when they get into the line of switch backs and they get up the person who checking documents and they have to start digging for their travel documents. Or when you disembark in Seattle and you get your bags from the mess and you’re in the customs and immigration line and the people in front of you don’t have their travel documents out for inspection by customs and immigration and they don’t have their Customs Declaration Form 6059B http://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/CBP%20Form%206059B%20English%20%28Sample%20Watermark%29.pdf filled out or don’t have one and they hold up the line.

I thought they won't let you get onboard without a passport. We always carry ours anyway

Thanks for all of the replies. Got the passports out of the safe.....

If you have them anyway, why ask. Passports are for travel, use them wherever and whenever you go by air or ship or rail, even if it is only domestic. That is why you paid for them.