Honolulu help needed ...

sjlogghe

Our cruise will be stopping in Honolulu on a Tuesday, from 7am-11pm. I have done some research on things for us to do, however I have written down SO much stuff and yet feel like I don't have a good grasp on everything we could or should see! And I don't have much time left to do more research here. I'm hoping for some help ...

We have rented a car for the day, we are a group of 3 - me, my mother, and my godmother. They are 70, and can do some walking but not much.

My mom LOVES turtles - I found some good reviews and mention of Turtle Beach (Laniakea). So I would really love to do that, as I would be her favorite daughter for taking her to see the real live turtles on the beach. :D

We haven't decided yet on if we'll do all of Pearl Harbor, or just the Arizona Memorial - I guess we're not exactly sure what the difference is, other than price?? Obviously more buildings and things to see, but which one would people recommend?? I'm not a big history person, but do know I want to see some of the Pearl Harbor sites.

The Dole plantation was also on our list, but I also have written down the Maui Pineapple Tour - which sounded like fun. We only need one pineapple tour, so any advice there would be great.

Someone at work told me to go to Hanauma Bay, but I believe that's farther away and opposite direction as Turtle Beach?

We are planning to do a day of site seeing, and then do a Luau at night since we will be there until 11 pm. I guess my other question is, what things would be feasible to do in a 5-6 hour time span?

Are we missing out on any other must-see sites in Honolulu?

Any help will be much appreciated!!

If you specifically want to see the USS Arizona, then just reserve those tickets prior to going. The other sites are the Bowfin (submarines), USS Missouri, and the Pacific Aviatiob Museum. My recommendation, since you want to do other things, would be to just reserve your tickets for the USS Arizona and visit the small museums right there. The other three are for the real history and WWII buffs.

Dole Plantation is pretty much a tourist trap, nice to stop at for a break and Dole Whip, otherwise, skip it.

Hanauma Bay is great if you plan to snorkel, but key is to get there early.

Scenery on the island is great, and, of course, you want to be favorite daughter.

I might suggest you would try to see Iolani Palace in conjunction with downtown Honolulu. Also, maybe Waikiki.

Whatever you do, hope you love Oahu as we do.

Cruz'n Couple posted good ideas & I'll add a couple other suggestions.

Since you want to see so much during your time on Oahu, you could go to the USS Missouri & Aviation Museum on Ford Island another time. Not being a big history person going to the Arizona Memorial & visitor's center is probably all you'd want to do.

I'olani Palace (old Hawaii 5-0 HQ) next to the state capital & the Kamehameha statue (new Hawaii 5-0 HQ) is interesting & is the only palace in the U.S.

Lanikai Beach is near Kailua on the windward side of O'ahu & you could cross the mountains on the Pali Highway & stop for a great view of windward O'ahu at the windy Nu'uanu Pali outlook. Parking at Lanikai Beach is limited & if you continue south along the coast would end up at Hanauma Bay. Check the current status because in the past it's been closed on some days & closed when reaching capacity. Also the asphalt paved route is rather steep from the parking lot to the beach so consider that if anyone has a mobility issue. Although check on their website because I think they have shuttles to the beach. And respect the conditions to safely enjoy a visit to Hanauma Bay.

Between Lanikai & Hanauma is Sea Life Park where the highly rated Chief's Luau is available.

Taking this loop from Pearl Harbor would make going to the Dole Plantation a good option which I also thought wasn't much more than a shopping stop.

Surveys say that Honolulu has some of the worst traffic in the U.S. and USA Today only ranks it behind LA. Also construction of the light rail system has resulted in closures & detours which makes it even worse. Hopefully an O'ahu local will also reply because living in Maui that's the island I know the best.

Here's a link to the website about rail construction related issues: http://honolulutransit.org

I am not aware of the Maui Pineapple tour but if you're renting a car then there are many other things on Maui that I think are better & more unique than a pineapple tour. ;)

If it were me, I'd try to not do too many things because too many people see too many things from their car & miss the opportunity to enjoy Hawaii. Then maybe you could take a land tour to explore more things on your favorite island which for me is Maui. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

The Dole plantation was also on our list, but I also have written down the Maui Pineapple Tour - which sounded like fun. We only need one pineapple tour, so any advice there would be great.

There is a pineapple tour on Maui (you can google Maui Pineapple Tours for more information), but do you really want to pay $65.00 plus tax per person for the experience??

Thanks for the advice! I've got my list with comments added.

AstroFlyer, I'd be very interested to hear suggestions for Maui as well - our tender is Lahaina. The only things I have on my preliminary list are Kapalua trail, Whalers Village shopping center (my mom and god mom love to shop), Ka'anapali Beach, and Kapalua Bay.

I have not researched them much yet, but I'd love to hear any advice or other things you would suggest seeing or doing!

AstroFlyer, I'd be very interested to hear suggestions for Maui as well - our tender is Lahaina. The only things I have on my preliminary list are Kapalua trail, Whalers Village shopping center (my mom and god mom love to shop), Ka'anapali Beach, and Kapalua Bay.

I have not researched them much yet, but I'd love to hear any advice or other things you would suggest seeing or doing!

We aren't AstroFlyer, but would like to add two comments. While we live Upcountry, we also have a place at Montage on Kapalua Bay, and enjoy our times there. It's like lliving in two different worlds (both good!!). If by Kapalua trail you mean the Kapalua Coastal Trail, that is a nice walk. Beautiful scenery. Kapalua is totally laid back, as you may know.

As to Whaler's Village, do note that it started renovations in April that should continue well into next year. We don't know how that affects shopping, but the restaurants should be open. You might want to check that out.

Since you want to see so much during your time on Oahu, you could go to the USS Missouri & Aviation Museum on Ford Island another time. Not being a big history person going to the Arizona Memorial & visitor's center is probably all you'd want to do.

I'olani Palace (old Hawaii 5-0 HQ) next to the state capital & the Kamehameha statue (new Hawaii 5-0 HQ) is interesting & is the only palace in the U.S.

Lanikai Beach is near Kailua on the windward side of O'ahu & you could cross the mountains on the Pali Highway & stop for a great view of windward O'ahu at the windy Nu'uanu Pali outlook. Parking at Lanikai Beach is limited & if you continue south along the coast would end up at Hanauma Bay. Check the current status because in the past it's been closed on some days & closed when reaching capacity. Also the asphalt paved route is rather steep from the parking lot to the beach so consider that if anyone has a mobility issue. Although check on their website because I think they have shuttles to the beach. And respect the conditions to safely enjoy a visit to Hanauma Bay.

Between Lanikai & Hanauma is Sea Life Park where the highly rated Chief's Luau is available.

Taking this loop from Pearl Harbor would make going to the Dole Plantation a good option which I also thought wasn't much more than a shopping stop.

Surveys say that Honolulu has some of the worst traffic in the U.S. and USA Today only ranks it behind LA. Also construction of the light rail system has resulted in closures & detours which makes it even worse. Hopefully an O'ahu local will also reply because living in Maui that's the island I know the best.

Here's a link to the website about rail construction related issues: http://honolulutransit.org

I am not aware of the Maui Pineapple tour but if you're renting a car then there are many other things on Maui that I think are better & more unique than a pineapple tour. ;)

If it were me, I'd try to not do too many things because too many people see too many things from their car & miss the opportunity to enjoy Hawaii. Then maybe you could take a land tour to explore more things on your favorite island which for me is Maui. :)

I will say that traffic all last week in Honolulu was horrible! Because of all the rain and flash flood warnings it was worse than normal according to my son. And I live in Miami so to say that there was traffic is an understatement!

Driving around Maui this week has been so different. We haven't experienced any real traffic at all.

Silver Sweethearts posted great info about a day of visiting West Maui & her previous post about a pineapple tour.

How long will your ship be anchored at Lahaina?

With 2 people having limited walking ability, remaining in the West Maui area may be your best option. I wouldn't suggest to attempt to quickly see too many things.

According to info received on a couple of excursions last spring while on a Hawaiian Islands cruise, commercial production of pineapples in Hawaii is a thing of the past (cannot compete pricewise with other countries), therefor the remaining pineapple plantation operations are mainly tourist traps. Be forewarned. :(

...VTX-Al

According to info received on a couple of excursions last spring while on a Hawaiian Islands cruise, commercial production of pineapples in Hawaii is a thing of the past (cannot compete pricewise with other countries), therefor the remaining pineapple plantation operations are mainly tourist traps. Be forewarned. :(

...VTX-Al

While that may be true on O'ahu, it is not true here on Maui where growing very popular Maui Gold pineapples is still cost-effective.

There is no longer any canning & pineapple plantations are fewer now that land in Kapalua is so valuable. Pineapples are still being grown along the lower sections of Haleakala Highway & we enjoy that sweeter & less acidic variety of pineapple. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Back recently from the Island and a few thoughts. With only a day one must make choices.

Pick one side of the Island, North, East or main Waikiki, one simply can try and do more than one side of the Island IMHO and do it justice. One reason a cruise is a tough tradeoff for the Islands! ;)

Doesn't matter which you pick you will have a good time if you plan.

IMHO the Dole stop is a nothing more as another poster said a restroom/snack break. DO NOT TAKE the train.. the fields at least a few weeks ago were plowed and it was a train ride thru nothing but red dirt!

North Shore, the valley and turtle Beach are very cool, if you do it on the weekday.

The East Side also very neat as is Hanauma but you must get there very early. We drove by twice and the lot was full by 10am!

• 2 weeks later...

We enjoyed our visit to Dole Plantation. It was a last minute stop to fill a little time before we had to be back to the airport, so we were not expecting much. We went on the train, had some dole whip, used the restrooms and left. We enjoyed the train ride--true, it did go through plowed fields, but we enjoyed seeing the variety of other trees planted--some with fruit--banana, breadfruit, cacao, papaya, and we really enjoyed the audio that explained the history of pineapple in Hawaii. They told you when you bought your tickets that the fields had already been harvested and you would not see any pineapple from the train, however where you disembark there are several varieties of pineapple that you can see.

• 5 months later...

Shopping in Lahaina is pretty good too!

Ditto on stopping at Pali lookout. Especially if you research the historical significance. Between Lanikai and Hanauma Bay is Halona Blowhole lookout. Good for a short stop. To one side is a cove where the beach scene in From Here to Eternity was filmed. That might interest your travel mates.

Just realized the OP"s cruise probably already happened. But maybe this will help someone else.

Edited by mawvkysc

Our cruise will be stopping in Honolulu on a Tuesday, from 7am-11pm. I have done some research on things for us to do, however I have written down SO much stuff and yet feel like I don't have a good grasp on everything we could or should see! And I don't have much time left to do more research here. I'm hoping for some help ...

Someone at work told me to go to Hanauma Bay, but I believe that's farther away and opposite direction as Turtle Beach?

I just wanted to point out that Hanauma Bay is closed every Tuesday, so the fish can rest, so you are out of luck there. http://hanaumabaystatepark.com/

But you still have more than a days things to do! Agree with previous posters about Pearl Harbor. Reserve tickets to the Arizona Memorial online 2 months before your visit. You need to pick up the tickets at least an hour prior to the tour. Use that time to visit the museums that are right there. See the movie and take the boat shuttle to the memorial. Then move on to your next stop.