Air Canada Rougeing Us!

RickT

I'm looking at a Dec 2017 New Years cruise. The Air Canada flight schedule is out and when I searched for flights to FLL and MIA from Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto were all on Rouge branded aircraft with the exception of one flight from Ottawa to FLL (return on Rouge). Travel dates were 12/30/17 outbound return on 01/08/18 however I searched other days in early December and saw the same thing. In addition, Air Canada currently has one daily direct flight from Yow to FLL, with the new schedule is seem the direct flight is only once a week on Saturdays...

Rouge is a horrible product (IMHO) and when launched many of us predicted that the "tourist" routes would be taken over by Rouge and ignored by mainline Air Canada. Air Canada claims that Rouge is a low cost airline but when comparing flight costs between them and other carriers, you'll generally not see much (if any saving).

I'm hoping that this is just an early schedule and that mainline Air Canada aircraft are added to these routes. Otherwise, it's Westjet or one of the US Carriers for me.

I'm looking at a Dec 2017 New Years cruise. The Air Canada flight schedule is out and when I searched for flights to FLL and MIA from Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto were all on Rouge branded aircraft with the exception of one flight from Ottawa to FLL (return on Rouge). Travel dates were 12/30/17 outbound return on 01/08/18 however I searched other days in early December and saw the same thing. In addition, Air Canada currently has one daily direct flight from Yow to FLL, with the new schedule is seem the direct flight is only once a week on Saturdays...

Rouge is a horrible product (IMHO) and when launched many of us predicted that the "tourist" routes would be taken over by Rouge and ignored by mainline Air Canada. Air Canada claims that Rouge is a low cost airline but when comparing flight costs between them and other carriers, you'll generally not see much (if any saving).

I'm hoping that this is just an early schedule and that mainline Air Canada aircraft are added to these routes. Otherwise, it's Westjet or one of the US Carriers for me.

Realizing it's an 8 hour drive - but would it be an advantage perhaps to just drive to Detroit and fly from there? I've heard a lot of Canadians actually do this. Just a thought!

...Air Canada claims that Rouge is a low cost airline but when comparing flight costs between them and other carriers, you'll generally not see much (if any saving)...
Gotta love the airlines. When they say "low cost" they mean lower cost for them to operate compared to traditional (non-Rouge). They are not talking about the cost to you - but they're happy to let you think that 'low cost' and 'low fare' are the same thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Where are you flying from? If you live in the Toronto area, it may be worthwhile to drive to Buffalo. There are a few hotels in Buffalo that will let you leave your car there for a week no extra charge. Also check your cruise lines Air offerings. I have found that I can fly out of Toronto using Princess EZ-Air cheaper than going to Buffalo or booking through any other sire. YMMV. If you are a family then going to Buffalo is probably much cheaper, but for 2 of us a direct non-stop from Toronto to Fort Lauderdale is cheaper, plus I am only 15 minutes drive from Toronto airport.

Another advantage using your cruise line for air is if there is a delay it is their problem to get you on the ship. If you book on your own, it is your problem. Living in Canada, snow delays in December is a distinct possibility. That is why I won't fly down the day of a cruise but the day before, hedge my bets :)

Hi Cruiseboar, I'm in Ottawa so Toronto is out. Montreal and Syracuse are options (as is Westjet).

I guess the point of my post is Air Canada is abandoning more and more routes and giving them to Rouge. It's a shame because I do like mainline Air Canada but do not like Rouge at all. I am also not pleased that Air Canada is offering a limited number of direct flights and forcing us to choose other airlines or accept a connection through either Toronto or Montreal.

My next flight is with Westjet and I expect that trend to continue unless Air Canada brings back direct flights.

Have you flown with WestJet before? I actually prefer them over Air Canada, the only downside with WestJet is when you fly back home from Fort Lauderdale, they are in Terminal 1 and there is no duty free in Terminal 1. Keep that in mind if you plan on bringing back liquor.

Side note, our last flight with WestJet the head stewardess was hilarious when she was delivering the safety speech. One of the funnier things she said, was that since our flight would take us over water, their was a keepsake lifejacket in case our flight turned into a cruise :D Her patter was non-stop like that, I love when people have fun with their jobs. Great service on the flight, I really can't say enough good things about West Jet.

Last year I flew to California on Air Canada and was only able to order 1 drink, the stewardess was too busy. 6+ hours and the stewardess was only able to get to me once is unacceptable to me. She was great under the circumstances, just the poor girl was overworked.

Edited by cruiseboar_1872

I would never fly WS again... horrible :eek:

We did the Rouge flight to FLL last yr was ok in the Premium class (like AC BUS)

Will maybe try AA in Dec not many options left

Certainly not making flying any easier :(

I guess the point of my post is Air Canada is abandoning more and more routes and giving them to Rouge. It's a shame because I do like mainline Air Canada but do not like Rouge at all. I am also not pleased that Air Canada is offering a limited number of direct flights and forcing us to choose other airlines or accept a connection through either Toronto or Montreal.

Yes, very true, and frustrating. See if they will give you an upgrade to Premium instead of changing flights. I've found Premium Rouge to be acceptable. Whenever I book an AC flight, I constantly check in fear they will Rouge me and I'll have to call and argue with them for a change.

While Air Canada Rouge service offers some very tempting prices for us for international travel, I will never book a Rouge flight, even in PE, which is the lowest level I would book anyway. If a flight Rouged on us, we would use that to cancel the flight and book with a different airlines.

If I wanted a cattle car, I'd book a freight car on VIA!

Side note, our last flight with WestJet the head stewardess was hilarious when she was delivering the safety speech. One of the funnier things she said, was that since our flight would take us over water, their was a keepsake lifejacket in case our flight turned into a cruise :D Her patter was non-stop like that, I love when people have fun with their jobs. Great service on the flight, I really can't say enough good things about West Jet.

The head stewardess shall not make jokes during the safety speech, very unprofessional.

I agree that it's good when people have fun with their jobs but during the safety speech it's not okay!

Is that really allowed?

There are youtube videos of a number of Southwest FA's adding elements of humor to the safety speech, and for a while Delta had a series of safety videos that included assorted comic elements as well. I think as long as the factual information is presented, anything that actually makes passengers sit up and take notice and pay attention is a good thing. Many of us could give the safety speech in our sleep, we've heard it so many times, and people often zone out because they think "I've heard this a hundred times." If you change it up or add humor, they pay attention again.

The head stewardess shall not make jokes during the safety speech, very unprofessional.

I agree that it's good when people have fun with their jobs but during the safety speech it's not okay!

Is that really allowed?

Looks like it is. I have been on WestJet flights where there have been jokes done during the safety briefing.

If it unprofessional? Probably. Does it fit in the young, fun, easy going image WestJet is trying to present? Yes.

Personally I would rather they just get the safety briefing over with rather than prolonging the entire process with unneeded commentary.

I think as long as the factual information is presented, anything that actually makes passengers sit up and take notice and pay attention is a good thing. Many of us could give the safety speech in our sleep, we've heard it so many times, and people often zone out because they think "I've heard this a hundred times." If you change it up or add humor, they pay attention again.

I agree that it's good if more people pay attention and listen but I'm not sure that joking during the safety demonstration is the right way to do it. Maybe more people listen but what do they remember, the jokes or the safety instructions?

If the crew doesn't take the safety demonstration serious, why shall the passengers do it?

Looks like it is. I have been on WestJet flights where there have been jokes done during the safety briefing.

If it unprofessional? Probably. Does it fit in the young, fun, easy going image WestJet is trying to present? Yes.

Personally I would rather they just get the safety briefing over with rather than prolonging the entire process with unneeded commentary.

I don't know anything about WestJet but if "young, fun, easy going image" is what it's about I'm glad that I'm not young anymore and care about thoose things! I can choose a boring airline for old people which take safety more serious!