Hot tub water cleanliness

NavyCruiser

When our kids were younger, we truly enjoyed the onboard swimming pools & hot tubs with them.

But now that they've grown & we don't get in as much lately.

Also, based on an incident we've observed on another land-based AI hotel hot tub, we've haven't been back into the hot in awhile.

Does anyone knows about Carnival's hot tub hygiene policy?

ie: how often do they totally drain & refill with new water?

how often the clean/shock/treat the water?

do they use clorine, bromine, ultraviolet or other disinfectant?

We love all the new hot tubs designs avail in the newer ships lately, on both Carnival & RCCL, but still hesitant about getting in from the (unreasonable?) thoughts in the back of our minds about what might be floating in the water...

Thanks,

When our kids were younger, we truly enjoyed the onboard swimming pools & hot tubs with them.

Also, based on an incident we've observed on another land-based AI hotel hot tub, we've haven't been back into the hot in awhile.

We love all the new hot tubs designs avail in the newer ships lately, on both Carnival & RCCL, but still hesitant about getting in from the (unreasonable?) thoughts in the back of our minds about what might be floating in the water...

Thanks,

Probably cleaner than the ocean/gulf water you will be in during a shore excursion!

I would say that the tubs along with the pools are a little better than a Petrie dish in a bio hazard lab

Having my own pool and understanding pool chemistry well I just done participate

When I get hot I rinse off in the shower

It's not just carnival. Google pools in Vegas you will be shocked

Also stay really far from costa maya pool

Really?

How often do they disinfect the ocean water?

Either ask your questions during a behind the scenes tour, or wait around after the hot tubs are closed at night to watch the procedure and see what is done.

While many pax raise questions of hygiene, I have yet to read of an illness or infection directly attributable to the hot tubs on CC.

Either ask your questions during a behind the scenes tour, or wait around after the hot tubs are closed at night to watch the procedure and see what is done.

While many pax raise questions of hygiene, I have yet to read of an illness or infection directly attributable to the hot tubs on CC.

Ev and Bob,

Unlike you, once we're onboard, we neither want to waste time & money to take a behind the scene tour, nor too busy to sit around late at night to watch their cleaning procedure.

That's why we ask this question on this board forum to ask from more knowlegable cruisers about their thoughts.

btw, we've never gotten sick visiting a hospital, but that doesn't mean there's no sick people there....

Edited by NavyCruiser

This particular skin infection is so commonly caused by hot tubs, it has an appropriate name: RWI (Recreational Water Illness)

http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/swimming/rwi/illnesses/hot-tub-rash.html

I have personally known as well as seen interviews with too many doctors that say you couldn't pay them to get in a public hot tub / they wouldn't be caught dead in a public hot tub, etc. So I feel justified in my germaphobia in this case, and avoid the icky "people soup" that is a cruiseline (or hotel / resort / etc.) hot tub. Also, I've seen some really disgusting things done in those hot tubs.:eek: No thanks.

Edited by ShakyBeef
typo

Thanks,

We were told that they are treated/shocked daily but didn't think to ask how often they were drained or what specific chemical they used. My nose told me that they weren't using clorine.

Ev and Bob,

Unlike you, once we're onboard, we neither want to waste time & money to take a behind the scene tour, nor too busy to sit around late at night to watch their cleaning procedure.

That's why we ask this question on this board forum to ask from more knowlegable cruisers about their thoughts.

btw, we've never gotten sick visiting a hospital, but that doesn't mean there's no sick people there....

We can agree, I wouldn't waste my cruise hours either, but I didn't raise the question.

I doubt there are many CC posters who are privy to this info, which is why I suggested a way for you, the OP, to find out first hand.

In fresh water pools at sea (I think CCL has a couple in the spa areas and I believe all hot tubs are fresh water):

Hot Tub- Bromine with Sodium Carbonate/Sodium Hydrogen Sulfate to control pH

Pools- Hypochlorite with combo so Sodium Bicarb/Hydrochloric Acid to control pH

In sea water pools:

Water is from ocean, treated and cleaned. Unsure of the treatment chemical outside of filtration (never asked). Most pools are completely drained nightly as this is easy to do.

The hot tubs around the ship are kept at a relatively low temperature for safety and sanitary reasons.

The water overall is safe but I wouldn't put any of it in my mouth.;)

I can only speak for what i saw on the Dream back in 2013, While walking the deck we ran into a group on young 20 something we had meant on the ship,earlier. They were near one of the hot tubs. Just before we got there one of the guys had stripped down and jumped into the hot tub although it was roped off. Anyway there was so much chlorine/bleach in the water, that it he had bleach spots on his pants from the water.

I myself tend to avoid the hot tubs and main pool, there was a really nice small uncrowded pool on the back of LIDO on the Dream that I enjoyed that trip...9 cruises and it was first time I ever got in a ships pool.

I will be honest here about ME. Last month I spent a week in Galveston and did venture in to the ocean a few times. Murky as it was I love the ocean cuz here in Utah beaches are not to be found so, I enjoyed the water. Then from Galveston I ventured on to a cruise just 2 days later on the west coast. I only used the hot tub three times on the Serenity deck but, just two days after my return home I started feeling horrible. Long story short I thought I was gonna die so off to the dr I went. After several tests I was told I severe bladder infection. Dr. said could have been cause by the ocean water or public hot tubs and or pool usage. Just sayin....

I personally won't use a hot tub anymore. Anywhere. I previously owned hot tubs for about 10 years and presently have owned a pool for 11 years. I know what it takes to keep them sanitary.... for just 2 of us... let alone thousands! I got a pseudomonis sinus infection from a hotel hot tub back in 2006 that took 9 months to clear with antibiotics and other treatment. You don't have to put your head under the water... I didn't... water spray mist will get you anyway.

But it's like anything. There are germs everywhere. You just do your best to minimize your exposure.

To ease your mind you could probably ask them how often testing is done and their cleaning schedule and procedures. Should be quite often under heavy use conditions.

The pools and hot tubs are drained and cleaned every evening. On smaller ships we will only use the hot tubs first thing in the morning. On the DREAM class ships they have so many hot tubs scattered all over the ship, we used them with confidence through the entire cruise.

I've watched hot tubs occupied by people for HOURS on end on the main pool area too many times to venture in during peak hours. Even the pool water is cloudy by late afternoon. Plus, they let kids into these hot tubs too... well, I don't think that's appropriate, plus kids are more likely to wee in the water.

:eek:

There is typically a whirl pool in the spa that is available for everyone. These too are seldom used and are worth seeking out.

Another germaphobe here and never ever do I get into ship's and hotel's hot tubs or pools. I happen to have a hot tub at my home and I know how much you have to keep up on them.

When I am relaxing near a hot tub on a cruise, I'll notice them jam packed with drinking adults that keep getting drinks from the bar waiters, and they don't ever seem to get out to go to the bathroom. That's really gross and my imagination runs wild. I can't fathom even sticking my toe in there. The pools either. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have personally seen 10 college aged cruisers that were in the hot tub for several hours, drinking many buckets of beer. Not once did they get up to go to the restroom.

This post may be gross to some but it comes from a decent amount of experience and training in pool/spa chemicals.

If the pool is fairly well maintained, urine makes no difference. It is fecal matter that is the way people get sick. Crypto is one major one that is found a lot of the times and is a pain to get out of a pool. Fecal matter doesn't only come from accidents but I am not gonna get into that more... Cruise ships have a big advantage over land based pools as they can dump and refill much easier/quicker/cheaper.

On my next trip, I will carry my tester kits and report back (should be in Nov). I always test in hotels but have never tested on a ship.

This particular skin infection is so commonly caused by hot tubs, it has an appropriate name: RWI (Recreational Water Illness)

http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/swimming/rwi/illnesses/hot-tub-rash.html

I have personally known as well as seen interviews with too many doctors that say you couldn't pay them to get in a public hot tub / they wouldn't be caught dead in a public hot tub, etc. So I feel justified in my germaphobia in this case, and avoid the icky "people soup" that is a cruiseline (or hotel / resort / etc.) hot tub. Also, I've seen some really disgusting things done in those hot tubs.:eek: No thanks.

Well said!

I am a nurse, and worked for many years in the ER -- I have seen several issues from marinating in a hot tub. :(

And, I repeat...ewwwwww

When I was on the BREEZE this year, our room was right above the hot tubs. We watched as they DRAINED and SCRUBBED them down inside and out every single night around 11:00pm. And in the early am, they were re-filled and the window squiggy cleaner guy would do all of the glass, inside and out:eek:

These were the cleanest Hot Tubs that I have ever seen.

I can't speak for the other ships.

Also, not my cup of tea. Is a BREEDING GROUND FOR COOTIES if you ask me:p;):D.... LOL

Edited by PittsburghGirlee

Thanks,

If you must ask, then you should stay out. They are cleaned per specs on a specific cleaning schedule, that has been established as safe. If an "accident" occurs and something floats up, than it is closed.

Î am one to not think about these issues- I've had five sons and nothing really freaks me out any more, germ-wise or mysterious illness-wise. I don't use the hot tubs but I do use the water slides big time. So far so good.