Zika.. Traveling with young kids

sunset785

Is anyone considering canceling their cruise if you are traveling with young kids due to the Zika virus? I know if kids are infected they may or may not get flu like symptoms but I also feel like there is not a lot of information right now on its overall risks. We live in Florida so I'm sure it will be here shortly but we also have solid medical care if something arises. I'm going to take a wait and see approach right now but is anyone else considering canceling with kids (specifically toddlers)?

DW and I are considering canceling. We'd traveling with our 6 1/2 month old if we don't cancel. No solid info is out about children that are already here. Focus seems to be on expectant mothers. Our other concern is that my wife is very excited to give our DD a sibling in the near future.

Kids that are born are fine.. the virus is not affecting humans out of utero...as far as brain damage goes. The virus can cause muscle aches, fever, malaise, etc...lasts about a week. If you're pregnant...don't go on the cruise or to places where the virus is likely. Otherwise...you're fine.

We are not canceling our cruise in April because of it and will have our kiddos with us who are 3 and 5. We will be in Haiti which has been identified as one of the areas with confirmed cases.....it will be a beach day for us and we will use the splash play area through adventure ocean for the kiddos as well as their lunch....I am hoping the mosquitos aren't out and about during the day on the beach, (here in PA they come out around dusk which by then we will be at dinner on the ship)....

I have no idea about the Zika mosquito, but a travel doctor did not give us malaria medication for our last trip to Honduras since the mosquitos that carry malaria don't bite until dusk, so cruise ship passengers are generally safe. You might want to consult with a travel doctor to assess your risk. This is a fairly minor illness unless you are pregnant or may become pregnant.

Thank you so much 6rugrats. I'm hoping to have another baby so it is really helpful to know I will need travel insurance with a cancel for any reason policy in case I get pregnant and have a cruise planned for one of the affected areas

Edited by kitkat343

There has been a lot of news today on this. Double digit cases in Florida and in Texas, it has been transmitted from person to person.

Can you please post a link to that study? As of 9 minutes ago, the CDC "suspected" it might be transmitted via sexual encounters but could not confirm. Otherwise, it would be by mosquito biting infected person and then biting someone else.

Can you please post a link to that study? As of 9 minutes ago, the CDC "suspected" it might be transmitted via sexual encounters but could not confirm. Otherwise, it would be by mosquito biting infected person and then biting someone else.

I work at CDC here is a link. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2016/02/02/dallas-reports-case-of-zika-spread-through-sexual-transmission/?tid=magnet

Here's my concern...

Some viruses stay in your body (For example Chicken Pox) for years and years. We don't know anything about this virus. What if my DD caught it and 24 years from now gets pregnant, will the virus still be hanging around in her body waiting to affect her baby???

Yes, I know it sounds crazy, and No I'm not cancelling our plans but I still worry!! Also I will be taking bug spray. I will make sure my DD wears light coloured clothes and long sleeves. I will be watching like a hawk for any bug bites or sickness.

I certainly wouldn't think a pregnant mother was over-reacting if she cancelled her cruise because of this.

Just my opinion.

Here's my concern...

Some viruses stay in your body (For example Chicken Pox) for years and years. We don't know anything about this virus. What if my DD caught it and 24 years from now gets pregnant, will the virus still be hanging around in her body waiting to affect her baby???

Yes, I know it sounds crazy, and No I'm not cancelling our plans but I still worry!! Also I will be taking bug spray. I will make sure my DD wears light coloured clothes and long sleeves. I will be watching like a hawk for any bug bites or sickness.

I certainly wouldn't think a pregnant mother was over-reacting if she cancelled her cruise because of this.

Just my opinion.

From my understanding Zika doesn't stay in your body for very long. I understand your concern though bc you are right- they don't know a whole lot about it right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app