What to bring.. winter or summer formal wear?

Pink_Poodle

We're going on our first cruise to the Caribbean in January! Can't wait, and I'm already thinking about what to pack.

I'm wondering about what to pack for formal and evening wear.

I'm not sure whether to bring the more flowy, summery dresses in bright and light colors, my white pants and raffia wedges and the rest of the summer wardrobe - or - what I would wear in the winter time like black pants, sparkling sandals, silky tops in jewel tones, tights and so on?

What's the appropriate style?

Jan/Feb is when we usually cruise and our experience is that you will be happier in lighter, brighter colors on cruise casual nights and you can wear the black and sparkly stuff on the more formal nights! But tights? I don't think so . . . just shave those legs and go! :D Remember that it will be warm and tropical, even on the ship (of course there is air conditioning which might mean you want a light wrap or sweater at night). Our 11 night Southern Caribbean is all planned . . . tropical shirts for DH and a mix of tropical cute flirty dresses and pants with pretty tunic tops for me! (We are on NCL and our first time really trying the Freestyle Lifestyle! :) Our first NCL cruise didn't have it and our second one was in Hawaii while I was on chemo and we stuck with traditional dining and 2 formal nights.) We still like to dress up for dinner more than just the same old daywear! Whatever you decide to go with, be comfortable, wear what makes you feel good, and enjoy!

I cruise at the end of January and I'm bringing summer fabrics. My dress for one formal night is a cocktail length black and purple brocade dress but it's not wintery. It's just a slightly heavier fabric than I normally bring.

As long as you are further south than the Bahamas, it's going to be hot. (Well, 99% of the time!) Summer clothing is what you wear in the Caribbean.

We're cruising NY-Bahamas in early January, so I have to ask...what is the weather like, and should I pack more light or medium weight stuff? thanks

Always dress for your destination, but toss in a sweater or light jacket & possibly a pair of long pants just in case.

Good post. It would be a little odd to wear something heavier with long sleeves or something if you were somewhere warm. At the same time, it's cooler in the Caribbean in January or February than July or August, or so I hear.

I am going on FOS in February, and I am dressing like I would for summer. Like you suggested, there will be some cooler weather attire thrown in to make sure I am comfortable.

Since the dining room can be cool no matter what, It's great to have a wrap or something along those lines.

When sailing from northern ports in winter, I wear darker/warmer outfits the first and last nights, and more tropical things the rest of the time. Wearing a sundress or white linen while it's still cold out seems just as strange to me as wearing black wool in the Bahamas.

• 3 weeks later...
We're going on our first cruise to the Caribbean in January! Can't wait, and I'm already thinking about what to pack.

I'm wondering about what to pack for formal and evening wear.

I'm not sure whether to bring the more flowy, summery dresses in bright and light colors, my white pants and raffia wedges and the rest of the summer wardrobe - or - what I would wear in the winter time like black pants, sparkling sandals, silky tops in jewel tones, tights and so on?

What's the appropriate style?

I always wear summer formal wear. For instance, just purchased a ivory, chiffon, gown from Ann Taylor. I never even look if it is velvet. I have navy blue and black chiffon also, i do have a red satin, my husband loved it :confused:, I also have a deep wine colored satin. They are all strapless even though I am 65. My upper arms are not what I wish but I am not ready to wear old lady looking dresses and my DH hates them. He likes me in the dresses I have and he always goes with me when I buy new dresses. I have decided that if he likes them and I like them I am going to wear them. Believe me I have seen people that I think look a LOT worse than me! :D:D Like the 2 women that were at the table next to us on our very first cruise, one lady was a VERY large lady in a BRIGHT yellow, full length, FANCY, evening gown and the other lady (that was her date) wore "basket ball shorts and a basket ball (sleeveless) jersey" in navy blue, no team name but in white, was a large number 12! I don't think DH and I will ever look that bad, so I will wear what I like. We OBEY the rules, GLADLY!! WE LOVE FORMAL NIGHTS!!!!!! WHEN ELSE WOULD WE GET TO BE SO DRESSED UP??!! I WEAR A BEAUTIFUL DRESS AND HE WEARS HIS LOVELY TUX AND LOOKS SO HANDSOME! WE LOVE IT!!

Thanks for your input and comments! I've never been in a tropical climate at that time of year so it's just been a bit confusing.

I'm having huge challenges with packing as we're combining Miami, New York and the Caribbean.. wish me luck :rolleyes:

Layering takes most of the challenge out. How long will you be in NY and Miami before/after the cruise? If only a day, wear bulky NY clothes to Miami, wash them while on the cruise and wear them back. If longer, I usually throw a sweater or a light jacket over the tops I wore in the tropics and change the shorts/skirts for pants (not jeans since they take more suitcase room). I add a bulkier jacket if necessary for the cold weather and hand carry it to/from the ship or plane instead of trying to make it fit in a suitcase. I have done several trips that have extended time (1month+) in both cold and hot weather and kept luggage at a minimum by layering.

Archived