Demagnetized Cards

brd1121

Leaving tomorrow on the Freedom!

Weird question- when I go to the gym/track I always bring my phone for music and my ship card (obviously) but my phone demagnetizes the card. I have a little running pouch that I put them in while I workout- any tips on how to avoid this? (something other than "don't put the card next to the phone..."). I was thinking of a small piece of aluminum foil?

Weird question- when I go to the gym/track I always bring my phone for music and my ship card (obviously) but my phone demagnetizes the card. I have a little running pouch that I put them in while I workout- any tips on how to avoid this? (something other than "don't put the card next to the phone..."). I was thinking of a small piece of aluminum foil?

I wasn't aware that a phone could demagnatize a card. Aluminum foil might do the trick but the sure bet is what you don't want me to say;). Maybe an inexpensive lanyard to wear for the card while working out.

Edited by sparks1093

I wasn't aware that a phone could demagnatize a card. Aluminum foil might do the trick but the sure bet is what you don't want me to say;). Maybe an inexpensive lanyard to wear for the card while working out.

Yes it can.......on one cruise we did it at the hotel and twice on the ship before the nice guy at Guest Relations asked if we were putting the card near our phone. Uh......yeah.....:o

We can only resolved the problem by making sure the card and phone are in opposite pockets.......or the card is in a lanyard around my neck.

Yes it can.......on one cruise we did it at the hotel and twice on the ship before the nice guy at Guest Relations asked if we were putting the card near our phone. Uh......yeah.....:o

We can only resolved the problem by making sure the card and phone are in opposite pockets.......or the card is in a lanyard around my neck.

It's certainly good info to know (while we keep our phones in the safe we do carry them with us if we have a stateside port of call so it is possible we would have both the sail and sign card and phone on our person at the same time).

My card has demagnetized from my phone quite often on past cruises and I was wondering if one of the phone cases with the slot for a credit card would make a difference. I asked this question a couple of weeks ago and got no responses. I'm thinking that it might work, since credit cards have the magnetized strip, too. Idk. I think I'm gonna try it on my September cruise, since I use my iphone as a camera and for the music while cruising.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have a paper sleeve that has a thin layer of foil on the inside. Have one for my passport as well. I do know that the sleeve will trigger the metal detectors if set to a high level since I had it happen at an airport and it took 2 times before I figured out it was my passport sleeve. :)

My card has demagnetized from my phone quite often on past cruises and I was wondering if one of the phone cases with the slot for a credit card would make a difference. I asked this question a couple of weeks ago and got no responses. I'm thinking that it might work, since credit cards have the magnetized strip, too. Idk. I think I'm gonna try it on my September cruise, since I use my iphone as a camera and for the music while cruising.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Probably not because the magnet system they use for credit cards is much more technical than the one used for hotel/cruise cards. I thought the same thing but learned the answer in my Google quest! :)

Thats funny as I always keep my cell phone and sign and sail card in same pokcket and this has never happened to me.

Wonder why?

Now that you've actually said that it's " never" happened to you,,,,,, you've now officially jinxed yourself:D

I've never had it happen with my iphone, but my travel companions with Galaxys have had it happen consistently. I remember one trip to Vegas where my friend got 3 new room keys in one day. I had a plastic, hard shell, hinged wallet case if that helps.

They have tested this scenario several times and and your cell phone does not demagnetize the hotel key. Put your phone on airplane mode while on the ship or leave it off until you get to the gym if you are truly concerned...

I've never had it happen with my iphone, but my travel companions with Galaxys have had it happen consistently. I remember one trip to Vegas where my friend got 3 new room keys in one day. I had a plastic, hard shell, hinged wallet case if that helps.

Interesting. My phone is a galaxy so perhaps however it works on a cruise ship does not affect it but for one particular hotel it kept happening.

Thought it was the hotel but perhaps it was my phone being mean to the card.:)

They have tested this scenario several times and and your cell phone does not demagnetize the hotel key. Put your phone on airplane mode while on the ship or leave it off until you get to the gym if you are truly concerned...

http://members.questline.com/Article.aspx?articleID=17783&accountID=1285&nl=10213

In case you wanted better proof read the article from the website above...

In each case there is probably something else causing the problem.

Sorry to disagree but yes it can.......maybe with certain phones it doesn't happen but it DID happen to us as I stated previously.

Had it not been for the guy at Guest Services we would have never figured it out.

Has not happened since......

Edited by GTO-Girl

There is a magnet in my running pouch, might be that then but I swear it happened when I used just a vinyl pouch also... I'll experiment. Thanks!

I have a paper sleeve that has a thin layer of foil on the inside. Have one for my passport as well. I do know that the sleeve will trigger the metal detectors if set to a high level since I had it happen at an airport and it took 2 times before I figured out it was my passport sleeve. :)

Yep get an RFID protective sleeve for the card. Available at any reputable Travel Goods Store.

A magnet in a purse or on clothing will do it, too....

You really don't need to carry your phone around the ship....

I put mine on airplane mode and use a walking steps app to see if I reach my goal of 10,000 steps per day.