Jubilee to be Scrapped

It's been reported in Tradewinds that Carnival's old Jubilee, built in 1986, is headed to a Chinese scrapyard.

The ship, which left the Carnival brand in 2004, was trading under the name of "Henna" for the HNA Group (a Chinese company) when sold for demolition.

She will be the first ship built by Carnival to go to the scrappers and by default, also the first of the Holiday class which included Holiday, Jubilee, and Celebration.

Garnett

This saddens me. We sailed her 4 times, and I was hoping to sail her one more time when she moved to Australia. That disappeared when she was sold to China. I understand she's had nothing but problems with bankruptcy ever done she's become the Henna.

RIP

My first cruise back in Sept. 1991. I still remember the names of the Maitre d' "George the Greek" and his Head Waiter Sydney. I still have a boat load of Carnival branded Hurricane Glasses (real glass!) from that trip. Good times, Good memories. Sorry to see the ship go.

Our first cruise was also on Jubilee November 1991, and yes, we have Hurricane Glasses and the mason jar with handles glasses. Best memory was the dear lady who tipped the servers with a bunch of 1 dollar bills taped together into a long strip, the dining room staff had to pull it out of her bra.

So long and thanks for the addiction Jubilee!

A 30 year old ship is really, really old? Give me a break! Jubilee was extensively renovated when she was transferred to P&O to become "Pacific Sun". It was only the eventual sale to the Chinese that signed her death warrant.

Many folks think of ships like cars, and they need to be "new", or just a few years old. It doesn't work that way with ships. Jubilee could easily have another 20-25 years of service left in her, and this premature scrapping is really a shame.

For those who will only sail on the newest and biggest, fine, but do not comment about things of which you know nothing. There are many who appreciate the "smaller" ships, and at 48,000 GT, I would not consider Jubilee to be small. She's still larger than Titanic.

The USA is defended by some "very, very old" ships, and even airplanes. You take care of them, upgrade them, and they can outlast you! Do any of you know that our force of B-52 bombers is over 50 years old? Many F-16 fighters are well over 30. The plane I fly is turning 37 this year, and she looks like new.

Well, as the saying goes; "ignorance is bliss".

I can't help but think the same thing. There should probably be several others joining her but Carnival continues to sail some really, really old ships. And yes, I too sailed the Jubilee many, many, many years ago. But she wasn't my first. That would be the Mardi Gras. Look how far cruise ships and cruise lines have come. Amazing!!

The oldest Carnival ship is only 26 years old.

A 30 year old ship is really, really old? Give me a break! Jubilee was extensively renovated when she was transferred to P&O to become "Pacific Sun". It was only the eventual sale to the Chinese that signed her death warrant.

Many folks think of ships like cars, and they need to be "new", or just a few years old. It doesn't work that way with ships. Jubilee could easily have another 20-25 years of service left in her, and this premature scrapping is really a shame.

For those who will only sail on the newest and biggest, fine, but do not comment about things of which you know nothing. There are many who appreciate the "smaller" ships, and at 48,000 GT, I would not consider Jubilee to be small. She's still larger than Titanic.

The USA is defended by some "very, very old" ships, and even airplanes. You take care of them, upgrade them, and they can outlast you! Do any of you know that our force of B-52 bombers is over 50 years old? Many F-16 fighters are well over 30. The plane I fly is turning 37 this year, and she looks like new.

Like! I cant use nor require most all the bells and whistles of the giants today. I dont do balconies either. Give me a clean ship with good service and decent food and drink and Im good to go.

I will feel a sense of sadness when Holiday goes the same way. My first cruise. Still to this day the best service, food and fun of any cruise Ive been on yet. She looks absolutely stunning under the cruise line she is with now as Magellan. Id sail on her tomorrow!

http://maritimematters.com/2015/03/magellan-a-new-british-explorer-of-the-oceans/

Edited by ryano

Well said!

Jubilee was recently up for sale for $35 million, Holiday, $55 million. If someone made an offer at 1/2 those prices, they'd probably own the ship. What you do with it is another thing.

Remember, if you had to build those ships new, just as they currently exist, they might cost $400 million+ each.

In the right market, and with a savvy cruise operator, they could turn a profit.

Also, remember, all have new interiors; Joe Farcus is gone from them.

Look at sister ship Celebration. She is doing quite well out of West Palm as Grand Celebration for Bahamas Paradise cruises on 2-night deals to Freeport, with optional resort stays.

I could make a case for using Jubilee or Holiday for 7-night cruises out of Florida (hmmm... didn't they do that at one time?). Market to a different demographic, and price the cruises so that they make CCL, RCL, and NCL look expensive. It can be done with the right people behind the venture.

Sadly, not too many of these deep pocket folks think outside the "box".

Again, what a shame to lose her; died a very premature death. :(

I can't help but think the same thing. There should probably be several others joining her but Carnival continues to sail some really, really old ships!!

I think that we've lost perspective of what a really, really old cruise ship truly is.

In 1984, I took a 10 night Caribbean cruise out of San Juan that included the Panama Canal. The ship was the 15,000 ton Victoria (for Chandris, which later became Celebrity).

The Victoria was built in 1936 so at the time of that sailing, she was 48 years old! She continued sailing for Chandris for another 10 years before she was sold to another operator. She still didn't make it to the scrapyard until 2004 when she was 68 years old!

So in comparison, the 30 year old Jubilee still had a lot of life left in her, but unfortunately couldn't find a new owner. I believe that she's going to the scrapyard, not because she was old, but because cruising has evolved so quckly in the last two decades that she became obsolete before reaching retirement age (like an iPhone 2 [emoji6]).

ChanVictoria06.jpg

Edited by Tapi