Jubilee to be Scrapped

I wish folks had pictures of them cruising on her that they could share.

Search on sites like YouTube. I just watched one of several videos:

Watching this makes me be very grateful that cruising is what it is now and not what it used to be. People that keep complaining about the cutbacks and yearning for how cruising used to be like should watch some of these videos. I think that wishful thinking makes some memories more pleasant than they truly should be. [emoji23]

A 30 year old ship is really, really old? Give me a break! Jubilee was extensively renovated when she was transferred to P&O to become "Pacific Sun". It was only the eventual sale to the Chinese that signed her death warrant.

Many folks think of ships like cars, and they need to be "new", or just a few years old. It doesn't work that way with ships. Jubilee could easily have another 20-25 years of service left in her, and this premature scrapping is really a shame.

For those who will only sail on the newest and biggest, fine, but do not comment about things of which you know nothing. There are many who appreciate the "smaller" ships, and at 48,000 GT, I would not consider Jubilee to be small. She's still larger than Titanic.

The USA is defended by some "very, very old" ships, and even airplanes. You take care of them, upgrade them, and they can outlast you! Do any of you know that our force of B-52 bombers is over 50 years old? Many F-16 fighters are well over 30. The plane I fly is turning 37 this year, and she looks like new.

Well, as the saying goes; "ignorance is bliss".

Amen! Well said. Especially the part about older planes. Love em!

Jubilee was recently up for sale for $35 million, Holiday, $55 million. If someone made an offer at 1/2 those prices, they'd probably own the ship. What you do with it is another thing.

I'd gladly take her, but sadly nobody is going to loan me the money nor do I have the funds. :(

The USA is defended by some "very, very old" ships, and even airplanes. You take care of them, upgrade them, and they can outlast you! Do any of you know that our force of B-52 bombers is over 50 years old? Many F-16 fighters are well over 30. The plane I fly is turning 37 this year, and she looks like new.

Let's not forget passenger airplanes. Currently, there are several airlines (including the majors) with airplanes in their fleets that are over 30 years old. They've been refurbished, with new seats, wall coverings, mood lighting, and entertainment systems, yet the average passenger has no clue that they are flying on airplanes that were built before we knew who Madonna and Cindy Lauper were! [emoji33]

Edited by Tapi

This is sad news. Some of our earliest cruises were on the Jubilee and the Celebration. On our first Jubilee trip we had a bar server whose pronunciation of Jubilee came out "Da Jew-billy" Hard to call her a "grand old ship" and she had some loveable quirks and smells but we had some really fun times on her.

I suppose this is just business, but it is a shame.

You have to have a subscription to the site, but in case you do...

http://www.tradewindsnews.com/weekly/761793/scrapyard-row-heats-up-as-maersk-units-hit-alang

Going OT here, but N7786W Flyer, I know that is a Piper Cherokee in your avatar, but is it a 180 or 235. Also, what year? Can't discern if it has two or three windows on the side. The early ones just had two.

Obviously, I know my Pipers, I spent enough time flying Cherokees!

Going OT here, but N7786W Flyer, I know that is a Piper Cherokee in your avatar, but is it a 180 or 235. Also, what year? Can't discern if it has two or three windows on the side. The early ones just had two.

Obviously, I know my Pipers, I spent enough time flying Cherokees!

Hi Lou,

She is a 1964 Cherokee 180C.

I owned her for 9 fabulous years until Dave Ramsey told me in 2011 that she had to go.

As you can see from my avatar still being in place 5 years after the sale, my heart still hasn't let her go. :(

Garnett

Let's not forget passenger airplanes. Currently, there are several airlines (including the majors) with airplanes in their fleets that are over 30 years old. They've been refurbished, with new seats, wall coverings, mood lighting, and entertainment systems, yet the average passenger has no clue that they are flying on airplanes that were built before we knew who Madonna and Cindy Lauper were! [emoji33]

If most of the new seats on airplanes had balconies and it was not cost effective to put them on an old plane, I doubt this would be the case.

I'm speaking metaphorically of course, but the simple fact is that there has not been a substantial upgrade in commercial airframe design in almost 40 years, there is not much that would distinguish a 30 year old refurbished plane from a new plane (to the point where it would affect purchasing decisions) so the refurb numbers make sense.

When you're on a 30 year old ship, and you pull up next to the vista, you know it.

• 3 months later...

Had a hard time finding this thread for the Jubilee, I don't know why I find the history of old ships so interesting. When I see them beach and being scrapped on some beach in India I can't help but think of all the history.

The Jubilee was my 3rd cruise ship and at the time was one of the nicest ships in the ocean. Just saw that this ship is up for sale. :(

A 30 year old ship is really, really old? Give me a break! Jubilee was extensively renovated when she was transferred to P&O to become "Pacific Sun". It was only the eventual sale to the Chinese that signed her death warrant.

Many folks think of ships like cars, and they need to be "new", or just a few years old. It doesn't work that way with ships. Jubilee could easily have another 20-25 years of service left in her, and this premature scrapping is really a shame.

For those who will only sail on the newest and biggest, fine, but do not comment about things of which you know nothing. There are many who appreciate the "smaller" ships, and at 48,000 GT, I would not consider Jubilee to be small. She's still larger than Titanic.

Very well said. We were on Festivale in 1992 for our honeymoon, out of San Juan. She has been scrapped and at the "ship graveyard" in India. I was so sad when I found out about that.

It would be nice if some of the older, smaller ships were kept around. I know Carnival currently has one ship that sails the itinerary out of San Juan, year round. Many other cruise lines offer itineraries from San Juan on a seasonal basis. Carnival just moved one of the smaller ships, the Fascination, to take over the San Juan itinerary from Liberty which today is probably considered a "medium sized" ship. Instead of Carnival having one ship doing the itinerary out of San Juan, I'd love to see two ships out of San Juan. One doing the current itinerary and the other going to some of the other islands (St. Croix, Tortola, Antigua, Dominica, Martinique, Grendada....). I know that there are many islands (St. Barth's for example) that can only accommodate the smallest cruise ships...curious of they'd be able to accommodate ships the size of Jubilee. That could be another idea instead of scrapping the older ships.

It would be nice if some of the older, smaller ships were kept around.

I was startled when Royal brought back Empress of the Seas, restored to RC's service after being acquired back from Pullmantur, I think. She's old and small...but heck, a cruise is a cruise. Maybe they'll bring Monarch back next.

I saw a recent photo of Empress parked next to Allure at Cozumel. Allure looked to be fully twice the width of Empress across the beam. :)

The real question is: Is she on the beach at Alang yet?

If so, her loss it not just a shame, but a crime in the figurative sense.

My understanding, though not confirmed, is that she will be scrapped by a Chinese yard if the scrapping goes forward. However, I am hearing some VERY unconfirmed rumors that her owners have reconsidered and plans are being made to bring her back to service.

Time will tell.

Garnett

Edited by N7786W Flyer

It's been reported in Tradewinds that Carnival's old Jubilee, built in 1986, is headed to a Chinese scrapyard.

The ship, which left the Carnival brand in 2004, was trading under the name of "Henna" for the HNA Group (a Chinese company) when sold for demolition.

She will be the first ship built by Carnival to go to the scrappers and by default, also the first of the Holiday class which included Holiday, Jubilee, and Celebration.

Garnett

How sad! Jubilee was our first cruise and where we fell in love with cruising.

I was startled when Royal brought back Empress of the Seas, restored to RC's service after being acquired back from Pullmantur, I think. She's old and small...but heck, a cruise is a cruise. Maybe they'll bring Monarch back next.

I saw a recent photo of Empress parked next to Allure at Cozumel. Allure looked to be fully twice the width of Empress across the beam. :)

So glad RC brought back Empress of the Seas and I agree, a cruise is a cruise. I'd like to see them bring back Monarch, never sailed on her but partial to her anyways. She was docked in San Juan with Festivale in 1992. Due to a 500 year celebration of Christopher Columbus (1492 - 1992), the replicas of Columbus' ships were docked at the normal cruise ship docks and we were across the harbor where the freighters usually are. At the time, Monarch was one of the largest ships out there and seemed huge compared to Festivale.

Monarch of the Seas - San Juan, PR - June 14, 1992

SCAN0172A_1.jpg

And here's Festivale (same date)

SCAN0171A_2.jpg

Here are a few pics of the ex Jubilee....I sailed on her many times as the Pacific Sun under the P&O brand

1549158384_100f7713d0_z.jpg?zz=1Pacific Sun March 2006 066 by cheznandy, on Flickr

1548243209_e126f6cdfb_z.jpg?zz=1Pacific Sun March 2006 033 by cheznandy, on Flickr

1548250875_0acbc288f4_z.jpg?zz=1Pacific Sun March 2006 037 by cheznandy, on Flickr

1548890673_b823b1ed1d_z.jpg?zz=1Pacific Sun March 2006 132 by cheznandy, on Flickr

Like! I cant use nor require most all the bells and whistles of the giants today. I dont do balconies either. Give me a clean ship with good service and decent food and drink and Im good to go.

I will feel a sense of sadness when Holiday goes the same way. My first cruise. Still to this day the best service, food and fun of any cruise Ive been on yet. She looks absolutely stunning under the cruise line she is with now as Magellan. Id sail on her tomorrow!

http://maritimematters.com/2015/03/magellan-a-new-british-explorer-of-the-oceans/

Thank you for sharing that! Holiday was our first cruise back in 1991 and I've wondered where she was now and what she looked like.

What a shame. Part of me wishes someone could take the Holiday class ships (Jubilee, Holiday, and Celebration) and start a small cruise line with them catering to the people that prefer the small ships and 5-9 day itineraries.

Our first 3 or 4 cruises were on this ship class and they really earned a spot in our cruise hearts! :)

Edited by The4Cruisers

So glad RC brought back Empress of the Seas and I agree, a cruise is a cruise. I'd like to see them bring back Monarch, never sailed on her but partial to her anyways. She was docked in San Juan with Festivale in 1992. Due to a 500 year celebration of Christopher Columbus (1492 - 1992), the replicas of Columbus' ships were docked at the normal cruise ship docks and we were across the harbor where the freighters usually are. At the time, Monarch was one of the largest ships out there and seemed huge compared to Festivale.

--And REALLY huge compared to Columbus' ships.

I saw a life-sized replica of the Pinta at the Tall Ships Expo in Chicago years ago and couldn't believe they made it across the Atlantic in something that small. She had a 56-foot long deck and was only 18 ft. wide. Barely enough room for shuffleboard, let alone a pool or a hot-tub. :)

Like! I cant use nor require most all the bells and whistles of the giants today. I dont do balconies either. Give me a clean ship with good service and decent food and drink and Im good to go.

I will feel a sense of sadness when Holiday goes the same way. My first cruise. Still to this day the best service, food and fun of any cruise Ive been on yet. She looks absolutely stunning under the cruise line she is with now as Magellan. Id sail on her tomorrow!

http://maritimematters.com/2015/03/magellan-a-new-british-explorer-of-the-oceans/

Wow the Holiday looks great. She was the ship that started my love affair for cruising.

--And REALLY huge compared to Columbus' ships.

I saw a life-sized replica of the Pinta at the Tall Ships Expo in Chicago years ago and couldn't believe they made it across the Atlantic in something that small. She had a 56-foot long deck and was only 18 ft. wide. Barely enough room for shuffleboard, let alone a pool or a hot-tub. :)

Pinta would never have had the space for Guy's Burgers so it's a good thing she's history.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums