Honeymoon help.

BadKoda

My fiancé and I (both in our early 40s) are trying to plan a honeymoon cruise. I've sailed on carnival 14 years ago and she has never sailed. Caribbean destination 7 or 10 day, in March is our plan either from Florida or San juan. We want to have fun on the ship and still have romance. Carnival or royal Caribbean? Royal ships adventure and freedom of the seas) that we've looked at are at least 10 years old. Haven't really looked at carnival ships yet. Any advice?

First of all, congratulations!

Caribbean cruises out of the FL ports will have more "sea" days getting to and from the islands, so more time for honeymoon leisure :rolleyes:... whereas one departing from San Juan will have likely one island per day. Those tend to be more go-go-go

You can do as much or as little as you want! You can be sociable, or not...even if you have many port days, you aren't required to get off the ship!

So, pick the ship that "feels" right to you, getting the most cabin space you can afford, and go for it!

We are doing a 7 night RCCL out of San Juan in 30 days!! This is our honeymoon cruise!! It is port intensive because we wanted it that way but as others have said you can choose to not go off the ship. If you are going in March as others have said be careful of lots of spring breakers, I would go for a 10 day cruise to avoid those spring breakers, we are also in our 40's 46 and 49 and want nothing to do with a lot of rowdy young 20 somethings.. but in November we don't have to worry about that too much but March can be spring break pretty much the entire month as different schools have different times off.

We chose a port intensive cruise because we are not sure we are going to enjoy the actual cruising part being on the ship simply because we like exploring in the towns and we love being on the beach from sun up to sun down. We are used to A/I resort vacations where we park ourselves on the beach for most of the time and then go exploring in town. So the thought of being on the ship for too many sea days is simply not appealing to us as at all.

Hope you have a great honeymoon cruise!!!

RCCL.

Be careful of Spring Break in March.

I hear this warning so often -- but over an 8-year span we have taken three March cruises (two 7-day, one 10-day) and had absolutely no problems with whatever it is folks who may or may not ever have cruised in March are worried about and warn against. I am not saying it might not happen, just that my two cents is that it did not happen to us.

We married in March -- spring break! -- and have therefore cruised for anniversaries in March. Nary a problem... Some cruise lines institute a special policy in March and April that requires at least one passenger to be 25 or older in each cabin.

I heard that crowd is usually older. Is that true? Don't want to be playing bingo and bridge lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are a couple in our early 30s, and we quite enjoyed Celebrity. There was a really nice mix of passengers. I think that they are working to attract a younger crowd, and the 123 go free alcohol drink package certainly helps. We also have traveled on DCL as a couple without kids and enjoyed ourselves there too. But then again we had a suitcase full of booze we lugged on! LOL! ;) I think you will enjoy yourself with whatever cruise you choose. Happy cruising and honeymoon planning to you!

There are so many lines and ships to choose from.

My suggestion is to begin by seeing what ships sail for the dates you are looking and then read member review on Cruise Critic. That way you can get more input as you make your decision.

Keith

I would actually recommend that you consider Norwegian Cruise Line. We are in our mid-thirties & have sailed Royal, Carnival, & NCL. The new NCL ships have tons of things to do, lots of dining options, & great service!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Congrats on the upcoming nuptials!

My suggestions is to make a price comparison sheet. I always make a spreadsheet to compare the real cost of cruises when I'm planning. There is a column for: cruise (w/tips), flights, transportation costs (to and from airport and cruise port), and per-cruise hotel.

Then you can weigh the cost of the cruise and the itineraries. The choice might become more obvious after that.

Thank you for all your help. Booked adventure of the seas out of San Juan. I have some port/excursion questions but will post a new question for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think you made an excellent choice.

Congratulations on your marriage, and bon voyage!

Another vote for Celebrity Equinox 10 night itinerary out of Ft Lauderdale. Both Eastern itinerary & a Western Itinerary. You can be as active as you wish. Crew is active

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I would look at Princess as a honeymoon. Of all the cruises I've been on, Princess does romance best. If you've never been on a cruise before, any of the mass market cruises would work.

I myself booked a 15 night Panama Canal crossing on the Celebrity Infinity next year for our honeymoon. I wanted Princess but when I was planning, Princess was too slow on publishing fall and winter 2015 l. Also, Princess' full transits didn't actually stop in Panama at all. We too are in our early 40s.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app