What do you TIP

Vonchillis

My wife on past cruises has brought playing cards, cozies, hats ect. that have local touristy stuff on them and used these for tipping the room steward and wait staff. We also given extra $$ along with it. My question is has any one else done this or something similar?

She heard that the staff really like this. I just do not want to insult anyone by doing this.

What do you-all do??:confused::confused:

VC

My wife on past cruises has brought playing cards, cozies, hats ect. that have local touristy stuff on them and used these for tipping the room steward and wait staff. We also given extra $$ along with it. My question is has any one else done this or something similar?

She heard that the staff really like this. I just do not want to insult anyone by doing this.

VC

Whatever $$ was going to be spent on touristy stuff should just be given to the staff instead of the trinkets.

VC

Picture yourself as your boss handed you this crap on pay day.

Leave the junk home. All they want is your cash. Everything else ends up in the trash.

Yeah, I kinda understand the thought behind this but can you imagine if everyone were to give small tokens of appreciation, other than or including money, how they would begin to pile up. Don't know about you but I think one deck of cards for my house is enough..:D

Whatever $$ was going to be spent on touristy stuff should just be given to the staff instead of the trinkets.

Agree. The crew have limited space in their quarters. They would appreciate the money much more than stuff that will clutter up their living area. Also, the staff go to the ports often so, while thoughtful, I doubt they would really appreciate things from there.

I used to do the auto tips which get added to your shipboard account, but now I prepay them. I also tip extra in cold had cash on the last evening aboard to anyone who has provided excellent service. ie; room steward, dining room waiters, and my favorite bar tenders or drink waiters.

So for me, it is to prepay tips and then tip extra in cash on the last evening. Those whom I have tipped extra always seemed genuinely happy to receive it.:)

Edited by SMSACE6

I think your gesture is very sweet.....but I am sorry....I agree with everyone else. They rely on tips and cash...:) Giving gifts is not insulting...they just don't want or need them. As stated before, they live in very tiny quarters. If stewards have told you they like your gifts, they were just being kind.

Edited by champagne123
cccc

We also tip $$ to the guys at the omelet station that we get every morning. Love these guys!! And I never seem to see anyone else tipping. Maybe they wait until the last day.

VC

How nice. Never even crossed my mind to do this. I will keep it in mind for my next cruise.

Tip in cash only.

I remember reading posts when I first joined Cruise Critic about how some people would "tip" their room steward by leaving the blender they brought onboard. Or the wine or smuggled alcohol they didn't drink. These items are trash - not tips. The crew want cash - not the things you don't want to bring home. ;)

Although I'm sure you mean well, the truth is that those trinkets are not going to feed these employee's families back home.

Of course they're going to say they love these trinkets, they won't want to appear ungrateful. But tip in cash and save them the fake smile and fake thank you. :o

Edited by Tapi

Although I'm sure you mean well, the truth is that those trinkets are not going to feed these employee's families back home.

Of course they're going to say they love these trinkets, they won't want to appear ungrateful. But tip in cash and save them the fake smile and fake thank you. :o

NICE!!!!

Sorry but I never use the "Fake Smile and Fake Thank you"

No wonder I hardly ever post.

We tip the normal carnival rates added to the bill plus....

First day on a 5 plus day cruise we give the room steward a $20 bill with a request to keep our small soft sided cooler full of ice, has never failed.

Wait staff at dining room, as long as we are pleased with service, and I do not recall not being, give each cash $20 including the bar service waiter as we keep them quite busy.

Maitre D if it is speacial service like Ken the singing Irishman and he has come by the table more than just on tip night

Tips on daily bar service wait staff even if we have purchased the Cheers program we add an extra $1

If we had a special bar tender we reconize them also with seperate cash tip on last day of cruise.

100% on the mark!! Thanks Tapi!

delete

VC

Edited by awhcruiser

I agree, good intentions but remember they live in basically a closet and share one at that, things just take up more room and they want money most of all.

lol..I wonder if someone left a bottle of booze would they want that or could they sell it to their fellow staff? Just curious.

The staff will probably thank you, but they HATE getting crap like that. They are on the ship working because they NEED money. Tip with cash, not trinkets.

On our cruise this past January, I had some magazines I'd finished with and tried to throw them in the garbage. The steward asked if he could take them and share with other staff. I told him "sure". Seems they like to have reading material. Next cruise I will bring extra magazines so they will have more! I will still tip the usual way so don't really consider this a "tip", just a nice gesture.