Evening in Istanbul

According to Holland America we will be arriving in Istanbul on the Prinsendam at 5 PM. We will spend two nights in Istanbul and leave at 5 PM on the third day after arrival. We are looking for something interesting to do in the evening of our arrival. We are a group of six. Most of the tour companies offer day excursions. In our group we speak French, Spanish and English, but no Turkish. We would be willing to skip dinner on board. Any suggestions for an interesting evening including night markets and street food?

I've never done this, but what about a whirling dervish show? You will see advertisements for them once you arrive, but it sounds like you might be best to arrange for a good one in advance after doing research. Here's a link to what I'm talking about if you're not familiar with it. I don't see much indication that these include a meal, however.

http://www.getyourguide.com/istanbul-l56/whirling-dervishes-1-hour-show-t21283/

There's not really a lot of street food in Istanbul, or evening markets (they close around 5-6 pm). However, there are good restaurants all over Istanbul, if you're looking for a good meal. Some in Sultanahmet (the old area, where Haghia Sophia and Topkapi are located) come with great views as well.

I'm not a huge fan of dinner shows, but Istanbul has some of those as well (belly dancers, whirling dervishes). The real whirling dervish ceremony -- like the one mentioned above -- is not that showy, being a religious ceremony, and doesn't generally include a meal. I saw one elsewhere in Turkey and enjoyed it, though some in my group found it a bit dull.

Edited by cruisemom42

I've never done this, but what about a whirling dervish show? You will see advertisements for them once you arrive, but it sounds like you might be best to arrange for a good one in advance after doing research. Here's a link to what I'm talking about if you're not familiar with it. I don't see much indication that these include a meal, however.

http://www.getyourguide.com/istanbul-l56/whirling-dervishes-1-hour-show-t21283/

We did the whirling dervish show. It was interesting. Most of the guys would have preferred a belly dancing show.

If you don't want to do a show, it is great to get out in the evening, the city is lit up, as well as the Mosques and Hagia.

We did the following some years ago. Check their website http://www.cityofsultans.com

Tour 9 // Turkish Belly Dance Show & Dinner By Night

20:30 / Pick up from your Cruise Ship.

A short drive to an exclusive night club through the illuminated city. Enjoy the Turkish Belly Dancers and Turkish Traditional Folkshows while you are having your full course dinner.

23:30 / After the show you will be transferred back to your cruise ship.

Tour Prices in USD (including full course dinner)

2 Guests / Per Person $90

3 Guests / Per Person $90

4 Guests / Per Person $90

5 Guests / Per Person $90

6 Guests / Per Person $90

6+ Guests / Per Person Please Ask

Our first trip to Istanbul we did an evening at Sultanas. Bellydancers, folk dancers and a very funny skit with audience participation….

Someone on our roll call organized this and we ended up with over 40 people going. They sent 2 small buses to pick us all up and bring us back.

It was very reasonable with different costs depending on what level of dinner/drinks you wanted.

We had a great time but I agree its not for everyone.

If your Prinsendam cruise is part of their "Grand Cruise" you may find that they bring a local dance show (including a whirling dervish) onto the ship during one of your evenings. They did this when we were there on that ship a few years ago. Cruisemom has given you some good advice regarding restaurants. But we have actually walked from the port over the Galata Bridge where they have a lower pedestrian level that is lines with some restaurants that serve pretty decent fresh seafood. This is about a 20 min walk from the ship (longer walk if you are slow).

Hank

The Sultanahmet area is pretty quiet in the evening, but as 4774Papa said, some of the main sites are nicely illuminated.

If you want restaurants and nightlife, you should head to Istiklal Avenue in the new town. It's just over the hill from where the ship docks, but most cruise ship passengers never discover it. I would head out in the early evening and take the Tünel up to the top of the hill, walk around the Galata Tower, and then start walking slowly down the avenue. There is a concentration of restaurants in the Çicek Pasajı and Nevizade near the top of the street. They are kind of touristy and overpriced, but the food is traditional and generally good and the atmosphere is very lively. There is a fish market (balık pazarı) in the same place that stays open very late. They also sell spices and Turkish delight and souvenirs, etc. Street food in this part of town includes kokoreç (lamb intestines) and midye (mussels, either stuffed with rice or batter-fried). You can also have a bowl of tripe soup (işkembe).

If you walk down to the Taksim Square end of the street, you can try a "wet hamburger" (seriously). There are also some nice pastry shops along the way, and lots of other shops open late. From Taksim Square you can get back to the cruise ship pretty easily by public transport (funicular + tram), or get a cab.

If you want to go further afield, there is also a nice early evening and dinnertime atmosphere in Kadıköy, on the Asian side. There are frequent ferries from Karaköy, near the cruise ship terminal, and from Eminönü.

Our first trip to Istanbul we did an evening at Sultanas. Bellydancers.........

We went to Sultanas last year and had a fantastic time, the cost was no where near $90 that has been quoted for other similar places.

We went to Sultanas last year and had a fantastic time, the cost was no where near $90 that has been quoted for other similar places.

Oh gosh no…… it was more like $54.00 per person but including them picking us up and bringing us back to the ship, dinner (the full package) and drinks. Also included is the show.

We found Turkey to be pretty reasonable in prices for most everything…… and we loved the country and the people !!!! We have now been 3 times :D

We were on a land based vacation in Istanbul a few years ago. I agree with Hawkeyetlse that Istiklal Avenue is a good place to explore. It is a great pedestrian street and you will see a lot of street performers (including whirling dervish - probably not as good as an actual show though). We had a very nice dinner just across from Galata Tower - the restaurant was Kiva Han. There is also a small district off of Istiklal called the French Quarter... definite nightlife with lots of restaurants and bars.

Enjoy your time in Istanbul!! We loved it!

Have to recommend Istiklal Avenue too as others have mentioned.

We overnighted on Reflection last fall and probably one of the highlights of our entire cruise was walking Istiklal Avenue on Friday night because a lively local vibe is what we look for when we travel.

After a day in the old town we pit stopped at the ship and then walked to the funicular that took us up to Taksim Square. Where we were docked, it was about a 10min walk to the funicular which was fairly dark but we felt safe enough. Shops on the other side of the road weren't open late. From Taksim Square we headed over to Istiklal and walked to where the street car ended and then back up to Taksim.

The next morning before we set sail around 1pm, we headed back there again to what it was like during the day. This time we grabbed a cab off the street and it was fairly cheap at 12TL. Other cabs waiting in the port area wanted 20TL. We walked from Taksim to the end of the street car, kept going to the Galata Tower, and outputted by the Galata Bridge. It was a pretty easy walk but going from the Galata Bridge towards the Tower is a bit uphill.

• 1 month later...
Oh gosh no…… it was more like $54.00 per person but including them picking us up and bringing us back to the ship, dinner (the full package) and drinks. Also included is the show.

We found Turkey to be pretty reasonable in prices for most everything…… and we loved the country and the people !!!! We have now been 3 times :D

This is very interesting. I am looking at their direct WebSite and the price for the basic dinner is 70 EUR and the price for the deluxe Dinner is 85 EUR.

They seem to have gotten very expensive in the last year.

Right now, it seems the excursion companies are cheaper than booking directly

This is very interesting. I am looking at their direct WebSite and the price for the basic dinner is 70 EUR and the price for the deluxe Dinner is 85 EUR.

They seem to have gotten very expensive in the last year.

Right now, it seems the excursion companies are cheaper than booking directly

Whats really weird is they are quoting in euro - Turkey is lira altho they will take just about anything…… but most things are in lira…. and yes it seems they have gone up in price !!!!!!!!

Whats really weird is they are quoting in euro - Turkey is lira altho they will take just about anything…… but most things are in lira…. and yes it seems they have gone up in price !!!!!!!!

Lots of hotels and tours post their prices in euro in Turkey; I've noticed that when you go to their websites. Probably due to the many European visitors they have.

• 2 weeks later...

We made a reservation on line at the IMBAT restaurant. They have a rooftop terrace and we knew that our ship would be seen in the background over the water.

We had a great meal and then from there we walked down to the harbour side and over the Galata Bridge back to the ship.

If you want to be closer to the bridge you could also book at the HAMDI Restaurant.

Food is mainly grilled meat dishes, but has also great views. Enjoy!

• 3 months later...
Lots of hotels and tours post their prices in euro in Turkey; I've noticed that when you go to their websites. Probably due to the many European visitors they have.

It actually relates to the fact that businesses here want to get paid in a more stable currency if they can. In the 2.5 years we've lived here the Turkish Lira has lost ~40 kurus (Turkish cents) to the US dollar. The TL fluctuates wildly.

According to Holland America we will be arriving in Istanbul on the Prinsendam at 5 PM. We will spend two nights in Istanbul and leave at 5 PM on the third day after arrival. We are looking for something interesting to do in the evening of our arrival. We are a group of six. Most of the tour companies offer day excursions. In our group we speak French, Spanish and English, but no Turkish. We would be willing to skip dinner on board. Any suggestions for an interesting evening including night markets and street food?

I live in Istanbul and I have a couple of suggestions that will show you something tourists would not ordinarily see.

A favourite restaurant of ours is called Banyan (it's Asian fusion not Turkish food - email ahead for a reservation). It is on top of a building in an area called Ortakoy right on the Bosphorus and regardless of the season provides amazing views of the famous Ortakoy Mosque in one direction with the bridge and it's dancing colours at night in the background (a total external refurbishment of the Mosque has just been completed and it is immediately adjacent to the restaurant). In the other direction you look to the mouth of the Bosphorus with the Maiden's Tower near the Asian side and at Old Constantinople, Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque in the distance. When it gets dark they send up Chinese Lanterns from the edge of the water on the walkway between the restaurant and Mosque. The food is great (although a bit on the expensive side) and the view and atmosphere is unrivaled.

When you're done head to Bebek - further along the Bosphorus and walk north as far as you want taking in the lights across the Bosphorus on the Asian side and experience the local flavour... it's about 20 minutes of walking to the Rumeli Hisari fortress.

If there are six of you, you'll need two taxis (about 20 TL per taxi) from the ship to the restaurant and another ~12 TL per taxi from the restaurant to Bebek (tell the driver Bebek Starbucks as a reference point). On the first cab ride you'll drive past the Besiktas football club's stadium (undergoing a total rebuild right now) and the Dolambahce Palace.

To orient you, the Bosphorus essentially runs north-south. When you face the entrance of Starbucks, left will be North - that's the direction I suggest you walk. It's safe and depending how far you walk there are lots of little cafes and restaurant to grab a Turkish tea (cay - pronounced chI) and even a brew pub called TAPS I think if you want a beer. You'll see lots of locals strolling along here and you'll be able to hop a cab back to the ship any time you want as there are always numerous available on the "coast road".

Questions? Ask away.

happy cruising all,

csm

• 1 month later...
I live in Istanbul and I have a couple of suggestions that will show you something tourists would not ordinarily see.

A favourite restaurant of ours is called Banyan (it's Asian fusion not Turkish food - email ahead for a reservation). It is on top of a building in an area called Ortakoy right on the Bosphorus and regardless of the season provides amazing views of the famous Ortakoy Mosque in one direction with the bridge and it's dancing colours at night in the background (a total external refurbishment of the Mosque has just been completed and it is immediately adjacent to the restaurant). In the other direction you look to the mouth of the Bosphorus with the Maiden's Tower near the Asian side and at Old Constantinople, Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque in the distance. When it gets dark they send up Chinese Lanterns from the edge of the water on the walkway between the restaurant and Mosque. The food is great (although a bit on the expensive side) and the view and atmosphere is unrivaled.

When you're done head to Bebek - further along the Bosphorus and walk north as far as you want taking in the lights across the Bosphorus on the Asian side and experience the local flavour... it's about 20 minutes of walking to the Rumeli Hisari fortress.

If there are six of you, you'll need two taxis (about 20 TL per taxi) from the ship to the restaurant and another ~12 TL per taxi from the restaurant to Bebek (tell the driver Bebek Starbucks as a reference point). On the first cab ride you'll drive past the Besiktas football club's stadium (undergoing a total rebuild right now) and the Dolambahce Palace.

To orient you, the Bosphorus essentially runs north-south. When you face the entrance of Starbucks, left will be North - that's the direction I suggest you walk. It's safe and depending how far you walk there are lots of little cafes and restaurant to grab a Turkish tea (cay - pronounced chI) and even a brew pub called TAPS I think if you want a beer. You'll see lots of locals strolling along here and you'll be able to hop a cab back to the ship any time you want as there are always numerous available on the "coast road".

Questions? Ask away.

happy cruising all,

csm

Cdnsteelman,

Planning our overnight in Istanbul next year. How safe is it after dark around Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque to do some night photography? Also, riding the tram back toward the port area?

Thanks

HJ Bear

Cdnsteelman,

Planning our overnight in Istanbul next year. How safe is it after dark around Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque to do some night photography? Also, riding the tram back toward the port area?

Thanks

HJ Bear

Although I'm not Cdnsteelman, I've stayed in Istanbul several times on my own and also stayed in the city late (to eat dinner in a favorite restaurant) and taken the tram back to the port on my own at around 10:00 at night. I never felt unsafe at all, particularly in the busy area around Haghia Sophia and the Blue Mosque.

No worries around Hagia Sofia and Blue Mosque after dark or on the tram. There is a great deal of outdoor dining, shopping and strolling after dark in this special city and the only thing to fear is dishonest taxi drivers! :)

Edited by CintiPam