My new sneakers arrived....:(

metphan714

One of my cruising traditions is to not buy new sneakers until I'm getting ready to go on a cruise. And I haven't cruised as much as I like lately (last one in 2011). This year I seriously needed new sneaks (as well as needing a cruise) but as much as I tried, I was unable to work a cruise into the budget for this year. Other family obligations came first. So I had to break down and buy a pair of Nikes. They arrived today and they are great but not the same excitement as I usually get, since this puts a nail in my cruising hopes for 2014.

But I don't ask for your pity, just wondering if anyone else has a silly tradition like this

I like to have mine broke in, too! You need sneakers if you are going to walk/jog on the track and sometimes I wear them in port if we are doing a lot of walking.

The one time I did not bring sneakers, I really regretted it. You need comfortable shoes if you are going to do any "serious" walking.

Yes, I do! I always buy new flip flops. No need to break them in because I usually buy the same brands and wear them all the time. Nothing like new flip flops for the cruise!!!!!!!

Also, I understand you with not having a need to break in your Nike's, it's probably because you buy the same style and there is no need to break them in. Makes perfect sense to me!

It's hot humid summertime here in florida, where I live ...and I have a few blouses, flip flops and other things tucked away because I like them new on the cruise. It's ok though, my cruise is in September, and it'll still be summer time here in florida til around December. I'll be able to wear them even after I come back.

I haven't heard shoes referred to as "sneakers" since 1978..

I think west of the Mississippi people call them Tennis Shoes. East of the Mississippi especially along the east coast - Sneakers! Kids today all over just call them shoes :cool:

Edited by bigque

I would never take new sneakers on a cruise unless I've had time to break them in first.

LIKE.

i agree. i did that with the a pair of sandles before it was horrible

To the OP, Presuming I get the point of your post about silly traditions, yes.

I always get a haircut two weeks before a cruise (whether I need one or not). DW always gets her hair done a week before a cruise.

If we don't have any cruises scheduled, my hair tends to get more than a bit shaggy, because I just don't have any motivation to go to the barber:o

Because I also never have to break in a good new running shoe, I bought waterproof trail runners for Alaska this year. I bought them 2 months ahead and I started using them in California pre-cruise. Fortunately we had 2 weeks before the cruise because as I ran in the Brooks shoes at about 2 miles I felt a sharp something under the left tongue. I couldn't stop the tongue from folding onto itself at that edge and it felt like a hard pebble every time it slipped back. Brooks let me send them back for a full refund. Fortunately I had time to order new trail runners from New Balance and have them sent to my son in Seattle where the cruise would begin. They were great.

Fortunately I also had some new lightweight Saucony trainers with me that were good for off trail running. These new shoes were perfect with no break in needed. I agree with who ever said good shoes need no break in period. In fact they feel better than old shoes. And yes, they are called trainers, depending on the shoe, in the USA.

No, $150 shoes shouldn't need to be broken in but there can be any issue with them. NEVER buy shoes right before going away. Give yourself time to try them out to make sure they feel great and don't have any issues after a bit of use. Not all problems show up immediately.

Gina

I think west of the Mississippi people call them Tennis Shoes. East of the Mississippi especially along the east coast - Sneakers! Kids today all over just call them shoes :cool:

Growing up in S. Florida that were called both Tennis Shoes or Sneakers interchangeably. Now we call them running shoes. :) Although I bet people who play tennis call them tennis shoes.

Our Aussie friends call them Sand Shoes. I thought they were going to the beach when they said that.

Gina

I run with, sacony's, brooks and nikes. Never had to break a good running shoe in. :)

Me neither. And I never buy the same brand or style each time. If I happen to get the same brand, it's always a new style or maybe a different version. The only thing that remains the same is it must be a stability shoe and feel good in the store (as in proper toe box feel and shape for my foot which as you know can vary).

Gina

My tradition, with any trip, really, is to buy at least one new outfit. Our last cruise I bought a new maxi dress. I love having something brand new to wear.

Our other tradition is to plan something fun for the day after (or at least the same week we return) we return so that we have something to look forward to after the trip. It helps with post vacation blues :)

To the OP, Presuming I get the point of your post about silly traditions, yes.

I always get a haircut two weeks before a cruise (whether I need one or not). DW always gets her hair done a week before a cruise.

If we don't have any cruises scheduled, my hair tends to get more than a bit shaggy, because I just don't have any motivation to go to the barber:o

Yes, Orville I was thinking more of a silly tradition sort of post. I didn't realize this would cause such a sneaker / shoe debate :) but hey anything to get people interacting isn't a bad thing.

And I've always called them sneakers - I guess I'm showing my age, which I didn't think was that OLD. ILL have to rethink that as we'll I guess :D

...and we in the Chi simply refer to them as "gym shoes".

Yes, Orville I was thinking more of a silly tradition sort of post. I didn't realize this would cause such a sneaker / shoe debate :) but hey anything to get people interacting isn't a bad thing.

And I've always called them sneakers - I guess I'm showing my age, which I didn't think was that OLD. ILL have to rethink that as we'll I guess :D

Don't feel bad. When I was growing up, they were always keds - regardless of the brand:eek:

For vacations...I think about a new bathing suit, maybe a new coverup. I check out my shoes to see if I need them. More often than not nowadays I'm taking a "run-cation" so running shoes are needed anyway ahead of time.

Growing up in S. Florida that were called both Tennis Shoes or Sneakers interchangeably. Now we call them running shoes. :) Although I bet people who play tennis call them tennis shoes.

I generally call them "athletic shoes" now unless I'm very specifically talking about the shoes I run in. But in my mind I say tennis shoes and sneakers. I'm from California.