How much spending money for Europe cruise

MikeNKim

I know this is a vague question but we are in the final stages of planning our Europe cruise, all excursions are booked and money put aside to pay for private tours.

However, not knowing how much things really cost in (Barcelona, France, Italy) we have no idea how much spending money to take with us. We are talking basically a few a snowglobe (DD collects and shot glass I collect) and really that is it and lunch each day.

How much do you put aside for spending per day on a Europe cruise.

Thank you!!!!

Kim

I'd calculate 15 euros for a lunch with drink per person.

Our holiday budget is 50 e/head/day when we are traveling in Med, staying in hotels. But that's different scenario than cruising.

Credit/debit cards are widely accepted, so no need to bring that much cash. And tipping is not mandatory the way in US.

Welcome to Europe!

Miryam

We took a western Med cruise on NCL this summer.

Miryam's numbers are correct, but when on a cruise you also need to factor in transportation as most of the ports are in industrial areas. You will generallly want a taxi or tour to get you anywhere that's worth spending time / shopping for that snow globe / buying lunch. And if you want to go further afield, say to Pompeii or the Amalfi coast from Naples, it can be fairly expensive. There are trains that get you from Civitavecchia to Rome for a bit less.

Check out the Ports of Call boards for more info.

you're right Miryam I missed that! I was too busy reading the BS (big safe) thread titled Royal Caribbean are you Listening????????? . LOL.

one thing for the OP to check though; a couple of years ago there was a sign at Laguardia that stated that Snow Globes were prohibited in carryon luggage. I remember because my family and I got a chuckle out of the huge sign dedicated only to Snow Globes. I guess they were concerned about the liquid inside? You may want to check airport rules if you are flying, or pack them in checked luggage.

Also - make sure you have a credit card that doesn't charge a foreign exchange fee. There are many now that don't, check with your bank.

We just came back from our Med cruise. We did not eat lunch at any of ports except we stayed in Rome for several days after the cruise. For the two of us our lunch was never less than 40 euro. It was usually between 40 - 50. This did include wine and water. We usually had one or two glasses of wine each.

I did see snow globes at some locations but didn't notice you much they were.

I did a 12-night med cruise this summer, and found that I used way more cash than I expected. A few of the restaurants took credit cards, but in all the little souvenir shops, etc, it was far easier to pull out cash. (Also, all my tours had to be paid in cash).

I put $500 in my Schwab savings account if it's a shorter cruise, and $1,000 if it's longer. I can use any ATM anywhere in the world, get reimbursed for any fees, and have cash available anytime I need it.

I've been cruising for over 4 decades and still can't figure out how much extra I need, so I just "seed" the Schwab account and go from there.

I also have the online banking app for our checking account on my ipad, so I can transfer more money if needed.

When I get back, I just withdraw whatever is in Schwab and put it back in my checking.

More than you think. For example, lunch for two in a not fancy cafe in Venice consisting of 1 personal margerita pizza, 1 capreze salad and two large bottles of water (one plain and one with gas) cost 35 euro or roughly $50 depending on the exchange rate.

I don't remember the cost for the gelato we had in Venice, and most every where else in Italy, but you can see your money doesn't go very far if you plan to indulge in local delicacies.

I would plan for a European trip the way you would for a home renovation: tack on an extra 15 - 20% or so for emergencies and be pleasantly surprised if you come home in with some extra cash.

Have a great time.

There are cheaper places to eat. Don't think every lunch will be e50.

I've had lunch as cheap as e2 at a Suppli (croquette) place near Santa Maria d' Trastavere. Not a sit down, take and eat outside or at the 3" deep counter.

Europe is different. There is a charge tacked onto everything, including eating outside.

Bring a coin purse. The smallest euro-note is e5. Locals have no problem waiting behind someone digging around for exact change.

We always need between 50 - 60 Euros for a lunch for 2. (but this might include 2 wines). ;)

There are cheaper places to eat. Don't think every lunch will be e50.

LOL, I must be eating in wrong places since i think 50e for a lunch is too much. I live in Finland which is supposed to be one of the most expensive countries in Europe, and I refuse to pay more than 10e for a normal lunch, 15e if it is a fancy odd one! of course, wine makes the difference, it adds up even though it is very affordable especially in Italy.

Venice fancy cooffee places are notorious for charging tourist high prices. Consider yourself being warned to check the menu carefully before ordering. Look for the fine print about 'obligatory' service charges!

As the above answers to the OP demonstrate, there is no "correct" (or even an average) amount to bring.

OP may want to check Trip Advisor for restaurant recommendations and then try to find ones that combine a unique experience at a cost reasonable for one's means. Other possible references for unique food experiences include Anthony Bourdain and Rick Steves.

As for trinkets, even if you are a diehard collector of snow globes and shot glasses, I think it would be a shame not to bring something truly local home. And, as for the globes/glasses, I believe you'll find that all you will encounter will be made in Asia.

Even if money is a big issue, there are much better, and affordable, original arts and crafts to be found in ports if you look in the right places and do your research (again, look to Rick Steves or try Lonely Planet or Eyewitness guides to find co-op shops that sell local art). Without breaking the bank, we've scored numerous one-of-a kind authentic folk arts that are true conversation pieces during our travels.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums