Experience with Air Divination?

firstforty2012

Air Deviation.... (excuse spelling error....no way to edit the title on this archaic board) .

Im looking at a cruise in 2018 and the economics of O's appear to favor taking their price including air. We do however want to come in early to tour before the cruise. In doing this I was told there will be a $175 surcharge. Of course its too early to actually compare of book at for a cruise in 8/18. Im unsure just how much air credit I will get when the time comes. Has anyone worked with them on this as how did it work out? Thanks

We usually do the deviation for the flights

We choose the flights we want & see if any other upcharges apply

You can start asking about 270 days out

Then compare with what you can DIY & make an informed decision that works for YOU

Edited by LHT28

A couple of points,

It's $175 per person, so it's $350 per couple. The amount of the air credit for not taking their flight can change. You don't have to decide when you book, you can add their air or delete if you change your mind.

This is of interest to me as well. My wife and I are booked on a July 2018 cruise with a round trip to Athens. I asked for the air credit ($1,100 per person).

Athens is a pretty expensive place to fly to, and the $99 premium economy upgrade is a very good deal. If I can't find airfares lower than $1,100, I may change our booking to put the airfare back on but am wondering how long I can wait to do that. At that point we'll need to do the deviation because there we would want to tour Athens for a couple of days prior to the cruise.

Typically, one can make about any changes they want right up to the final payment due date around 180 days out, unless your TA/group has negotiated a different deal. One can ask for an air deviation starting at 270 days out, so that should give most reasonable people about 90 days to "work" the system and determine what's best for them. If you're one of those people that like to roll the craps and wait up until 50 days out trying to catch a sale, I'm not sure Oceania would accommodate that. As posted above, the cruise only rebate most often declines as the cruise gets nearer, therefore the economics are constantly changing.

My recommendation is to work the various options within that 90 day window and don't look back. If you have an air option, in which you are happy, let O air know, without games, and allow them to see what they can do. You must remember that O does not have contracts with all the carriers, or even with all routes for carriers for which they do have contracts. However, give them the chance and you may be pleasantly surprised, or not.

Athens is a long haul flight from the US. Itinerary and seating would be as important as price. Premium economy is needed, at a minimum. This is a good destination to splurge for business class.

I agree with the advice to start watching flights once they are released.

if you have air miles or credit card points consider those options. Cash and miles, cash and point offers can work well with Oceania cruise only fares.

I don't know where you are flying. If it is an international flight you have received good advice. For a USA domestic flight I will be booking my own now (too long to post here as it might not be relevant but it is an AIRLINE issue not with O's air department)

Oh, you wrote "Im unsure just how much air credit I will get when the time comes" but I don't think it has been commented on yet.

Ask now how much the air credit is. The amount varies by cruise itinerary. Also from reading this board I understand that as it gets closer to sailing date, there will be less availability for flight choices and the air credit goes down and your cost can go up. I have no personal experience with that however so just an observation.

Following the advice of several board regulars, I priced business class airfare to Buenos Aires and the return flight from Lima on my own. I then checked with Oceania. Their price was twice what I found myself.:(

Needless to say, we took the air credit of $970 each.

Following the advice of several board regulars, I priced business class airfare to Buenos Aires and the return flight from Lima on my own. I then checked with Oceania. Their price was twice what I found myself.:(

BUS class is always more with O

We are going to use the PE special price deal next year

last time I booked PE with O from LHR it was $700 pp O W but it was still cheaper than what I could get on my own

Unlike economy where the price from O and on-your-own can be similar, unless they have a business or PE class upgrade offer, O's prices will be much higher as you learned. My understanding is that they do not have contracts on those classes for bulk purchases so they pay top dollar themselves then add on the O markup.

Good thing with O is having these choices.

Not only is O's biz fare much more expensive than what you should be able to find for yourself, it is also RESTRICTED. That means that if you have flights over land you will be in coach, not business.

For us leaving from NYC, that generally isn't a concern unless there are one- or two-stop flights involved, but from Europe that hasn't happened ... yet. If we were flying to the Far East ...not sure! We haven't done so, at least not on O ...

We took the PE upgrades on our flights to Copenhagen and back from London last summer and they were fine. We did one business upgrade, from Heathrow I think, a couple of years ago. Also fine. And that flight was a reasonable cost. ($2K pp from LHR to NYC)

But if you are flying from the midwest or west coast, restricted flights might be something you want to avoid. Just a hint ...

Back to the original question (I think), I would say take the deviation NOW. You can always change your mind later. The deduction now for "free" air may well be more than it will be later. The deviation charge probably won't change -- although it HAS in the past, but not generally at the drop of a hat. (I remember it being $75pp once upon a time... but my memory may be failing. It definitely was a lot less than it is now 10 years ago! But then, what prices haven't increased over 10 years? The only things that haven't increased that I can think of are my Social Security benefit ...)

Mura

Typically, one can make about any changes they want right up to the final payment due date around 180 days out, unless your TA/group has negotiated a different deal. One can ask for an air deviation starting at 270 days out, so that should give most reasonable people about 90 days to "work" the system and determine what's best for them.

We are on a 10-day cruise and the final payment is due 90 days prior to sailing. With that in mind, what is my "look" period to work the system?

We are on a 10-day cruise and the final payment is due 90 days prior to sailing. With that in mind, what is my "look" period to work the system?

Once you opt for a Deviation, which brings us within the 270 day window, you and Oceania will immediately begin dickering for a suitable routing for your flights. The Deviation fee is nonrefundable but does not kick in until the passenger accepts a routing.

If you don't Deviate, Oceania will choose for you, and you'll get the tickets between 6 and 8 weeks out.

Blackbr;

I think you can work it until your final payment date of 90 days. As Stan stated, O will issue you tickets not long after that. Two things to consider in waiting so long

1. O may well drop the allowance.

2. Airfares have been rising not lowering for international fares in the last 120 days or so by my experience.

My wife and I booked a Mediterranean cruise in August of 2017 including air only because it seemed like a good deal. We did not book directly through Oceania and, regrettably, didn't do our homework before booking; the result is it seems we'll get what we get relative to the air. We're in the dark regarding how many stops there will be on the flights between the US and Europe (going and returning home), what carrier we will be flying on, and the time between when the plane arrives vis-?-vis when the ship sails at the beginning of the cruise and the time between when the ship docks at the last port (Barcelona) and when the plane departs Barcelona. We are assuming the air will be "economy" (not a days that probably means some when not in the "main cabin" (?). We were told-- an "oh by the way"--Oceania doesn?t include transfers, so we will fend for ourselves in this regard.

We wanted to modify the air travel at the end of the cruise to remain in Barcelona a few days.

When we telephoned the TA we used (and subsequently Oceania), we got the same answer: there will be the deviation fee for each of us plus some "unknown difference" in cost of the Oceania air fare and what we want (which is a flight a few days later). We were told we could amend the booking and not have to pay the deviation fee but this required us to book a hotel in Barcelona through Oceania. When we checked this option it was crazy costly. We have decided to take whatever it is we get and know not to book "air included" in the future.

We have occasionally used O's air but have not used their transfers and in particular have not used their hotels. This was never required of us, and I agree with you that paying their rates for a hotel is generally insane. I did see in the past year one or two cruises where the hotel package was based on the room cost, not per couple, but the norm is per couple ... which makes their charges insane. On occasion I have booked the same hotel O is using for a fraction of the cost.

I would question the alleged requirement that you must use their hotel package with a deviation. Perhaps it is because your trip is only six months off ... but I fail to see why that should be the case.

With a deviation you can control any extra stops more easily. For us, leaving from NYC airports, this is generally not a problem. But for people from other parts of the country -- if you aren't in a gateway city -- it CAN be a real problem.

Good luck.

Mura

No excuse needed - I smile every time I see the title of this thread! ;p
Actually trying to figure out the best thing to do on taking their air or the credit does require a bit of divining.

I would question the alleged requirement that you must use their hotel package with a deviation. Perhaps it is because your trip is only six months off ... but I fail to see why that should be the case.

Mura

Read that again, I don't think that's what they're saying.

What they need to do is look at the air credit, then look at what it would cost them to do their own flights. If O can do it for less WITH the $350 deviation added in then you go that route, if not book it yourself.

I don't believe VisibilityUnlimited's TA is explaining things quite clearly enough. In essence what they are being told is right, but appears to have a bit of spin on it. The air thing is not a scam, it just has rules. If you know them it's no big deal.

My wife and I booked a Mediterranean cruise in August of 2017 including air only because it seemed like a good deal. We did not book directly through Oceania and, regrettably, didn't do our homework before booking; the result is it seems we'll get what we get relative to the air. We're in the dark regarding how many stops there will be on the flights between the US and Europe (going and returning home), what carrier we will be flying on, and the time between when the plane arrives vis-?-vis when the ship sails at the beginning of the cruise and the time between when the ship docks at the last port (Barcelona) and when the plane departs Barcelona. We are assuming the air will be "economy" (not a days that probably means some when not in the "main cabin" (?). We were told-- an "oh by the way"--Oceania doesn?t include transfers, so we will fend for ourselves in this regard.

We wanted to modify the air travel at the end of the cruise to remain in Barcelona a few days.

When we telephoned the TA we used (and subsequently Oceania), we got the same answer: there will be the deviation fee for each of us plus some "unknown difference" in cost of the Oceania air fare and what we want (which is a flight a few days later). We were told we could amend the booking and not have to pay the deviation fee but this required us to book a hotel in Barcelona through Oceania. When we checked this option it was crazy costly. We have decided to take whatever it is we get and know not to book "air included" in the future.

You're not past Final payment yet I don't think, you can still take the air credit and book your own flight.

Orv, at first I was highly incensed at the idea that you accused me of misreading the post ... ;p

But you were right -- I did!

I read it as saying they had to use O's hotel package if using a deviation ... whereas what was said that IF they got a "free" deviation, they'd have to use the hotel package.

I guess O must get its money somewhere. But given that option, I'd pay for the deviation ...

That being said, I have never heard of someone being given the deviation without having to pay the fee. Then again, this might not be announced if it did happen!

Mura

Orv, at first I was highly incensed at the idea that you accused me of misreading the post ... ;p

But you were right -- I did!

I read it as saying they had to use O's hotel package if using a deviation ... whereas what was said that IF they got a "free" deviation, they'd have to use the hotel package.

I guess O must get its money somewhere. But given that option, I'd pay for the deviation ...

That being said, I have never heard of someone being given the deviation without having to pay the fee. Then again, this might not be announced if it did happen!

Mura

Those over 15 cruises get it as a perk.

That's true. We're at that point right now but I wasn't thinking of that as an option.

Given that they were told they'd have to book the hotel package in order to avoid the deviation fee, maybe they aren't in that category.

Mura

My wife and I booked a Mediterranean cruise in August of 2017 including air only because it seemed like a good deal. We did not book directly through Oceania and, regrettably, didn't do our homework before booking; the result is it seems we'll get what we get relative to the air. We're in the dark regarding how many stops there will be on the flights between the US and Europe (going and returning home), what carrier we will be flying on, and the time between when the plane arrives vis-?-vis when the ship sails at the beginning of the cruise and the time between when the ship docks at the last port (Barcelona) and when the plane departs Barcelona.

Yes, the flights will be a surprise.
We are assuming the air will be "economy" (not a days that probably means some when not in the "main cabin" (?).
Yes, unless there is a PE or such promotion they will be economy
We were told-- an "oh by the way"--Oceania doesn?t include transfers, so we will fend for ourselves in this regard.
Most cruise lines sell transfers. Some include transfer if buy a pre-cruise hotel as you mention and some include transfers if you PURCHASE their air, not included air.

When we telephoned the TA we used (and subsequently Oceania), we got the same answer: there will be the deviation fee for each of us plus some "unknown difference" in cost of the Oceania air fare and what we want (which is a flight a few days later).

Yes, you can pay a $175 pp administrative Deviation fee to arrange flights to arrive before or days after disembarkation. This would also solve the problem in your first paragraph about not knowing the flight details as you will get the opportunity to review the flights offered before accepting. And if you don't like the offer, then make suggestions on and ask for another offer.

You do NOT pay the $350 (for two) until your have agreed to the deviation flights. If your decide to NOT take any of the offers then you do not pay the $175/350 fee

Also there will be NO "unknown difference". *IF* there is a surcharge for the flights you choose on your Deviation request, and there is not always an extra charge, you WILL know the additional cost as it will be on the offer. If you don't want it then you don't accept the offer. Plus you might find there is no additional charge if the flights are what they would normally have assigned you but just a few days earlier.

We have decided to take whatever it is we get and know not to book "air included" in the future.
It costs you nothing to request a deviation. You might find the $175/350 gets you reasonable flights the few day before at no other additional charge

as others have said ask about the flights you want & see if Oceania can get them without a surcharge

if you do not like the outcome just keep submitting flights that work for you until you can get ones you agree on

then pay the deviation fee

Taxis or private drivers are a better option than the cruise line transfers & book your own hotel

You can compare the hotel package offer with what you can get on your own

We do not need to stay in a 5* hotel so we can usually get a better price by doing our own

I do not like surprises especially with air routes

We do pay the deviation most times because we fly in a day or more early (even for Miami ) so we can see the port city & get over jet lag

be relaxed on embarkations day

It is a personal choice but worth the effort to seek out the flight routing YOU will be happy with

JMO