Room Steward

donsbabe

I sailed on the Legend in May. Steward implied that we had the choice of am or pm. We chose am and didn't push for twice daily. Several times during the week we were in our cabin during morning service and he came back in the evening when we were at dinner. If he cleaned in the am the Fun Times was left in the mail basket in the evening. FYI: We did not have an ice bucket in the room at all but were fine without ice. The fridge was empty and the washcloth on the door did well at keeping the water in the Fridge and some wine cold.

Could you explain this please?

A hotel doesn't clean 2 times a day

The second servicing of the cabin is not a cleaning. Just as with first class hotels on land the second service in the evening is turn-down service. This includes refreshing the towels as needed, turning down the bed covers, closing the drapes, turning down the lights and on Carnival, leaving a towel animal and the Fun Times for the next day.

I'll be disappointed if and when evening turn-down service is no longer offered on Carnival.

I will request Both in November. If the steward hedges I will just go to the phone and call the head of housekeeping to report it.

Twice a day is an option as it always has been. Stewards just want guest to pick one or the other for their ease. Yes I can say this because on our last cruise on the Conquest we were in a 4j 1002. Every evening, yes every evening, all the stewards from our floor gathered in our hall way for at least an hour. Sitting in the hall. We had to walk around them to get down the hall. Never offered to move.

Tried asking them if they were on break several nights and they acted like the didn't speak English. They had plenty of down time every night. I don't ever want to hear "poor cabin stewards have to many rooms to clean".

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On some ships, stewards are instructed to ask guests if they want Am, Pm or both plus extra pillows, glasses, robes, etc. I have never had anything but a positive response when replying "Both, please". I think the stories about stewards being less than responsive are just stories and a result of people being uncomfortable interacting with them

I was given a choice of AM / PM on the Splendor last May, as were four other cabins in our group. None of the other cabins were aware that they could choose both. I chose both, but three evenings I was not given evening service.

It is really a shame - I had bragged about the great service to the four rookies we brought on our group cruise and it was not any more special than motel service. Also, this was the first cruise that I did not tip my steward extra.

We were on the June 11 sailing of the Liberty and our steward only gave us an option of either morning or evening service (not both). There were no offers for ice, extra robes, etc. The room was never vacuumed while we were in it. One evening my wife went back to the room to get a sweater and the door to our room was open with the stewards cart in front of the room but no steward in the area. Luckily, nothing was taken. Last September when we were on the Valor the room was made up twice a day without us asking.

My bad? Who said I wanted twice a day. I was perfectly fine with just PM. A hotel doesn't clean 2 times a day and I certainly don't need it on a ship. I'm not a slob, pick up after myself and only need clean towels daily.

I knew the "slob" comment was coming soon - the implication being that anyone who wants 2x a day service is a slob:(

DH and I are not slobs. We request the cabin be cleaned in the AM and for the 2nd service in the PM we want ice, dry towels and the Fun Times ... NONE of which are available for guests to acquire for themselves - Thus the need for the 2x a day service.

I knew the "slob" comment was coming soon - the implication being that anyone who wants 2x a day service is a slob:(

DH and I are not slobs. We request the cabin be cleaned in the AM and for the 2nd service in the PM we want ice, dry towels and the Fun Times ... NONE of which are available for guests to acquire for themselves - Thus the need for the 2x a day service.

Fun Times are available at GS desk

Could you explain this please?

Oh. I read on CC that you should prop the cabinet open the fridge is in with a washcloth to allow air circulation and thus improve the cooling of fridge. My previous experience was these fridges barely dropped the temp below room temp but propping the door open helps.

Oh. I read on CC that you should prop the cabinet open the fridge is in with a washcloth to allow air circulation and thus improve the cooling of fridge. My previous experience was these fridges barely dropped the temp below room temp but propping the door open helps.

Thank you for your response, it is helpful information.