Jacks Shack - questions

weston gal

We leave on Sunday and thinking of going to Jacks Shack. 10 of us ranging from 13 years old to 77. Is it rocky in the water that we will need water shoes? The kids want to know if there are jet skis to rent there? Is it a hard walk from the pier to Jacks Shack? The website says it is 500 yards from the pier.

Jack's shack is 1 ship length from Margaritaville. It took us about 5 minutes to walk there. You will walk past about 5 other small operations in between.

Drink prices at Jack's are a little less than Margaritaville, but not much - Magaritaville charges $11 for a Margarita, Jack's charges $9.

The entire area from Margaritaville to Jack's is soft white sand and that sand goes over 200 feet out into the water where it's about 6 feet deep. Past that there must be some reefs because snorkeling trips were tying up out there.

If you turn right when you get off the ship you get into some rocky stuff and when you turn the corner at Boaby point there are even more rocks and thousands of empty Conch shells.

We were in port with 2 ships and Margaritaville was packed by the time we got there (2nd ship to arrive)

• 2 months later...

:rolleyes:

After reading all the rave reviews about Jack's Shack, to the point of some even keeping touch with him and his wife after the cruise and revisiting many times, we made the trek up the beach to see what all this was about. The path is a seemingly short one, but the sand makes it a bit of a workout. That being said, we arrived - hot, ready for a seat in the shade, a nice cold beer or frozen drink, and some fun!

The setup was nothing like we envisioned. The small bar is in the center of a few tables with small umbrellas for shade. The bar stools were all taken, along with all the tables in the bar area. Even the stools at the bar weren't very shaded anyway. We finally found a table pushed back up along the porch of the gift shop, which was actually shaded at least. There was no service at the tables. In order to get any menu, drinks, etc. you have to go up to the bar and ask. You order, pay, get your drink, and are expected to come back up when you think your order is ready, based on the estimate they give you.

The demeanor of the lady behind the bar was not much more than apathetic. She sullenly handed over a bottle of beer that she grabbed out of a giant ice chest filled with ice. It was not ice cold, as I was hoping it would be. There didn't seem to be any method of refrigeration other than this. The mixed drinks had ice but I'm not sure if that ice came out of the same cooler that housed the beer and cokes. There are no frozen drinks here, and no beer on tap. It's all just kept cool in coolers and poured out of bottles or cans - all of it. I guess maybe I was expecting cold drinks and frozen fruity drinks at a beach front bar.

Aside from all of this, the quality of the conch we ordered was superb. It was cracked fresh as we ordered it and we picked it up in time so that it didn't get cold. It was GOOD!

I usually don't write bad reviews on places because I always find the positive. This one has me baffled. Am I missing something or did I just simply expect too much? I did get to see the famous "Topher" as I wanted to; but he was busy visiting with other guests so I didn't get to play with him. ;)

:rolleyes:

After reading all the rave reviews about Jack's Shack, to the point of some even keeping touch with him and his wife after the cruise and revisiting many times, we made the trek up the beach to see what all this was about. The path is a seemingly short one, but the sand makes it a bit of a workout. That being said, we arrived - hot, ready for a seat in the shade, a nice cold beer or frozen drink, and some fun!

The setup was nothing like we envisioned. The small bar is in the center of a few tables with small umbrellas for shade. The bar stools were all taken, along with all the tables in the bar area. Even the stools at the bar weren't very shaded anyway. We finally found a table pushed back up along the porch of the gift shop, which was actually shaded at least. There was no service at the tables. In order to get any menu, drinks, etc. you have to go up to the bar and ask. You order, pay, get your drink, and are expected to come back up when you think your order is ready, based on the estimate they give you.

The demeanor of the lady behind the bar was not much more than apathetic. She sullenly handed over a bottle of beer that she grabbed out of a giant ice chest filled with ice. It was not ice cold, as I was hoping it would be. There didn't seem to be any method of refrigeration other than this. The mixed drinks had ice but I'm not sure if that ice came out of the same cooler that housed the beer and cokes. There are no frozen drinks here, and no beer on tap. It's all just kept cool in coolers and poured out of bottles or cans - all of it. I guess maybe I was expecting cold drinks and frozen fruity drinks at a beach front bar.

Aside from all of this, the quality of the conch we ordered was superb. It was cracked fresh as we ordered it and we picked it up in time so that it didn't get cold. It was GOOD!

I usually don't write bad reviews on places because I always find the positive. This one has me baffled. Am I missing something or did I just simply expect too much? I did get to see the famous "Topher" as I wanted to; but he was busy visiting with other guests so I didn't get to play with him. ;)

We went a year ago and was not all that impressed but must have been us as they get rave reviews.

Going back again in a little over a week for another try.

I've been once, so far.

For me, the appeal is that it is not Margaritaville.

We had a table on the deck on the side of the bar opposite the gift shop.

They brought our drinks to us. We didn't order any food, so I can't comment on that. Jack sat and visited with us for quite a while.

I really enjoyed it because it's a beach bar, not a chain.

I definitely will go back. Might have a different experience...I hope not!

We went a year ago and was not all that impressed but must have been us as they get rave reviews.

Going back again in a little over a week for another try.

Hey there!

Not just you - we thought the same thing along with others in our group. Service was a bit surly and indifferent, it was crowded, and the drinks were weak and overpriced for what you got. $8 for a basic rum and coke is more than on the ship. I really wanted to love the place but ended up just going back to the ship instead.

Last time we took an amazing stroll the other direction to the conch graveyard and passed maybe 3 people in an hour. No bars down there but we sure did get peace and quiet.

I have heard/read other similar remarks/ complaints.

However,,,I cannot wait to get to Grand Turk, a ways off yet, since I have no cruise booked yet that has it on the itin.

I dont care if the staff is rude or indifferent to me, I will go only to play with Topher!:D I love dogs, and Poodles and their descendants are of great interest to me. So, cant wait to get to Grand Turk, just to play with Topher and buddies.

Sounds like you were expecting a Margaritaville experience. It is definitely not that! Next time get chairs & umbrella set up on the beach. I think it was 10 bucks last time there. Yes you have to get your own drinks, order & pick up your own food. But it still has the best jerk chicken on the planet. And for 12 bucks.

Sitting in the shade, on the beach, drinking a cold one & watching Topher do his thing: there's just not a better experience anywhere.

If you're looking for the glitz and glamour, then it's certainly not for you. If you want the best lay back experience of all, then this is it.

We didn't make it to Jack's Shack we were on the border of the "cruise ship area" and the regular beach and Topher was in the water playing with our daughter. For us it was the best of both worlds...Topher without the long walk. We will be going back in a few weeks on the Sunshine and will make the trek to Jack's for a family beach day we are participating in....does anyone know if Jack's Shack has good/function WiFi?

Last time we stopped at "Captain Hook's" who advertised free wifi but it wasn't working nor was the wifi at Margaritaville. We play in the water but DH sits in the shade and plays on WiFi.

We were there at the end of July & I wasn't overly impressed. It wasnt crowded at all- only 1 other table taken- & yet I experienced none of this friendly service mentioned. Just a basic ordering of food transaction & have a nice day. I ordered my food & drink & went to bring my food order to the grill. Instead of coming back to my drink ready both ladies at the bar had left the bar to play with the dogs. I didn't get my drink until they were through. :confused: I will say the food was good & pretty quick. I wanted good jerked chicken & that's what I got so I was happy.

I cant comment on the beach as we had spent most of our time on a snorkeling excursion. After Jacks we walked back towards the ship & relaxed at margaritaville a little. Morr crowd for people watching.

The walk is not far or rocky (except way up at the edge of the beach), but the sand is deep and provides a little workout and it can get hot hot hot. Walk at the edge of the water or wear shoes.

The wifi is great. I make 2 cent per minute Skype calls on my cell phone to check up on the family back home and it is great quality. When I took a cruise during the school year, this was where I could upload all my assignments and eat some really good food.

I do think people overhype the place though. It really is just a beach shack with a grill and some drinks in a cooler. It's not a place to go for a restaurant or resort experience. It's just a usually quiet place on the beach to hang out. Only beach stuff for rent is a chair and umbrella. No water sports or toys, although there are some at the place next door if you want. No dining area with wait staff. No dancing, singing, or performing bartenders. The owners are friendly. The staff may or may not take your order or bring your order or smile on any given day. Still, every visit to Grand Turk we head right there. We enjoy it for what it is...play in the surf and sand with some food nearby if we get hungry.

We didn't make it to Jack's Shack we were on the border of the "cruise ship area" and the regular beach and Topher was in the water playing with our daughter. For us it was the best of both worlds...Topher without the long walk. We will be going back in a few weeks on the Sunshine and will make the trek to Jack's for a family beach day we are participating in....does anyone know if Jack's Shack has good/function WiFi?

Last time we stopped at "Captain Hook's" who advertised free wifi but it wasn't working nor was the wifi at Margaritaville. We play in the water but DH sits in the shade and plays on WiFi.

Wi-Fi was fine at Jack's. Agreed the Margaritaville was non-existent.

• 3 weeks later...

We usually grab a beer at the first bar and enjoy it while walking in the surf to Jack's.

One thing to remember about Jack and his staff (wife).....They have a dry sense of humor, but can take it as well as give it out.

I just stopped by here to see if Jack's is still there because he was talking about retiring a couple of years ago.

We will definitely be there in January and February of 2015.

By the way.....It is the best jerked chicken.....even better than mine!

One other thing.....This is the place the 'boat' crew go to.

Edited by cruznlobo

We leave on Sunday and thinking of going to Jacks Shack. 10 of us ranging from 13 years old to 77. Is it rocky in the water that we will need water shoes? The kids want to know if there are jet skis to rent there? Is it a hard walk from the pier to Jacks Shack? The website says it is 500 yards from the pier.

Now that you have cruised to Turks and returned... I would be curious on your thoughts on Jack's Shack.

Yes, my wife and I have been there... (Hint Hint look at the profile pic)

I Miss Topher!!!

Edited by Wargobaby
added

In some of the pictures I see of Jack's it looks like there are boats in the water. Does anyone know if by chance any of them are snorkel boats? I was hoping to find an on the spot snorkel trip. I don't know if I will want to snorkel or just chill on the beach so I really don't want to book ahead. Anyone have any ideas?

In some of the pictures I see of Jack's it looks like there are boats in the water. Does anyone know if by chance any of them are snorkel boats? I was hoping to find an on the spot snorkel trip. I don't know if I will want to snorkel or just chill on the beach so I really don't want to book ahead. Anyone have any ideas?

E-mail Jack and ask him. There was a dive shop there; and when we talked he said there is another company that pulls up there for breaks and sometime arranges the pick up and drop off of excursions. Our snorkeling excursion was canceled due to bad rip tides and undertows so we sat at the shack and enjoyed!!

We went to Jack's last year. I will admit that it was different than I thought. The walk was not bad at all. We had a 4 year old and 7 year old and it was no more than a 5-10 minute walk. I guess what made it good for us was that we were one of the 1st people there and Topher came out to play with us right away. My kids LOVED that dog. They loved it that he went in the water and swam with us. Believe me, I'm not really a dog person and I fell in love with Topher. He just has so much personality.

After a while in the water, we went up to the bar to get some drinks and some food. The ordering procedure is confusing at best. The warm welcome is nonexistent. We didn't know where to order, if we stood there and waited, or what to do. Finally, a nice server told us to have a seat and he would bring us our food and take care of us at our table. It was very crowded by then, but our server did come back to order refills for us and some additional food that we decided on. The food was good and ok price wise.

We booked another cruise in February to go back to Grand Turk. After 8 cruises, it is just our favorite stop. We loved it because the beach and water is beautiful and because of Topher. Really it is just a great simple beach day for my family. We also enjoyed collecting sea glass there.

So don't go to Jack's if your're looking for a lively party place or fancy drinks. If you want to go somewhere away from the crowd and enjoy the water and maybe a visit from an unforgettable dog, you should check it out.