Question about excursions

yardbird

I'm booked for Alaska with Princess in August of 2016, but this probably would relate to other cruise lines as well.

Example:

There is an excursion in Skagway that my wife and I both want to do (we're not doing a lot of excursions, but this one we both want to do). I found how to book it direct with the company that does it, and I can also book it through Princess for a little more money. For the 2 of us the excursion is around the $400 mark and the difference between going direct to the company or doing it through Princess is about $30.

If I book through Princess, and if, for any reason, that tour gets canceled either because the ship can't dock in Skagway or some other unforeseen medical or mechanical issue or... anything... does Princess refund the cost of that excursion?

And given the same circumstances.. when you book direct, is there any refund of the excursion? (I'd kinda guess not because it's not the tour operator's fault)

If you book a tour through Princess and they can't arrive to the port than Princess will fully refund your money. If you book the tour through Princess and have to cancel you will get a full refund as long as you cancel within the required timeframe. On the first night of the cruise you will get your excursion tickets for those tours you booked with Crystal and they will not on the ticket the date in which you must cancel in order to get a refund.

As to private excursions you need to check with the company as to what their policy is should the ship not make it into port if you have paid in advance for the excursion. Be sure to get it in writing. Many companies will refund the amount but again this varies and getting it in writing is critical. Should you be sick you would not get your money back.

Keith

Princess will refund the cost of any excursion that is cancelled by them for any reason. The only catch would be if you cancel, you must do so by the cutoff to get a refund.

Private tours will depend on the operator. Most require payment at the beginning of the tour, so there is no need to refund if the port is missed.

Since OP specifically mentioned it's Alaska they're cruising to - I've yet to find an Alaskan tour operator that does not offer a full refund if your ship misses the port. Longer/further away tours, where there might be a slight risk of failing to get back in time if there's a problem, also seem to universally offer a 'we will get you to the next port to meet your ship if we don't get you back in time' guarantee as well. But do check the small print for what circumstances allow refundable cancellation - policies & procedures do differ.

Since the price difference seems unusually low though I'd be tempted to buy that excursion through Princess this time - no need to actually pay them in advance, so rather than forking over a deposit in advance to the independent you'll be in control of your own finances the whole time. With a year to invest the money you might even earn a buck or two interest on it...

I just LOVE how fast I can get answers to my questions here. Hopefully I won't be a pain in the stern. :)

Not on Cruise Critic. Folks who fequent this forum are usually cruise fanatics and love to help those who are just about to join their ranks.

The benefits of booking private shore excursions, in addition to saving a few bucks, is that the operator is not burdened by any contractual obligations such as the ubiquitous "rest stop" right next to a shopping area that most cruise lines require. Also, they have more flexibility so that if it's a small group and everyone would like to make an unscheduled stop somewhere, no problem. One thing we like is also that we get to meet folks from other ships in port and can compare notes about their cruising experiences and ours.

The benefits of booking through the cruise line is that, if anything at all goes wrong, the cruise line will stand behind their excursions, whether the port is missed, the operator fails to show up, or anything else. Also many times people who buy the cruise's excursion get priority disembarking at the port and the excursion operator won't leave until the cruise line tells them to. Then there's the big benefit that the ship won't sail until all of their excursions are back. Finally, if you have a shipboard credit that you may not use up, the shore excursion can be paid by using the credit. Many (most?) private operators want payment when the reservation is made, or at the start of the excursion.

On a recent cruise that included Spain we bought the Princess excursion from our port (Malaga) to Granada. Others on our Roll Call chose the Spanish Day Tours (a private operator) that saved them about 10%. We got on the coach that parked right next to the ship and the SDT folks had a short walk to their coach. Everyone on the private excursion was back to the ship at about the same time. So it cost us an extra 10% for no immediate benefit except the peace of mind aspect.

OK, I think for this one I can just do it through Princess. Maybe if the cost difference was more substantial, but honestly, as a first time cruiser I've got more pressing things to read up on and plan for than worrying about 30 bucks :)

The benefits of booking through the cruise line is that, if anything at all goes wrong, the cruise line will stand behind their excursions, whether the port is missed, the operator fails to show up, or anything else. Also many times people who buy the cruise's excursion get priority disembarking at the port and the excursion operator won't leave until the cruise line tells them to. Then there's the big benefit that the ship won't sail until all of their excursions are back.

See above for the MAIN reason we frequently book through the ship. This is your first cruise...let Princess take care of you until you have your sea legs.