Paid upgrade?

fudge

Hi Everyone,

We take our first cruise with Regent in less than a week out of Venice, its a 10 day cruise. I have just received an e mail from our TA stating that Regent are offering a paid upgrade form a concierge suite to a penthouse suite for A. 900 Sterling PP or B 650 Sterling PP, not sure yet what the difference is between A or B?

Having not sailed before with Regent can you please advise whether the money is worth the upgrade? The only advantage I can see at this stage is a butler and a slightly bigger suite.

Thanks in advance. :cool:

Fudge,

I haven't had a PH on Explorer yet, but in my opinion it's not really worth the upgrade for a 10-day cruise. The D, E, and F cabins on Explorer were, to us, plenty roomy and well thought out. We were in an F2 last month and we both said it was one of the nicest cabins we've been in. Really good 'bang for the buck' as far as I'm concerned. I've read other accounts on CC about the PH cabins being larger but not necessarily more efficient. We don't really use our butler as much as some do, so that's not a big draw for us.

Of course, it depends on what you want - it's your vacation! If you want the extra space and butler, it might be a good deal. Personally, I'd pass - but that's just me.

We also do to care for the PH suites on Explorer. I has an odd configuration, tiny closet, no bathtub, etc. In terms of the differences of "A" and "B" suites, it is only location. If you decide that you want this upset, I would recommend making a decision soon as these offer are grabbed up quickly.

I guess I could have checked which ship this was - on Voyager, I'd be more likely to take the upsell to the PH B. Suite isn't that much larger but it's a nicer layout, IMO. You have to ask yourself if the extra room and butler is worth £65/pp per day.

Yeah, I'd be tempted...would probably take it. Assuming, of course, you're not under the pool deck or a loud public space, which I don't think any of the PH B suites are on Voyager. I'd double check the location (mid-ship or forward would be preferable) but I'd probably take it.

I also didn't realize that the was Voyager. The only PH suites under the pool are "A" category. The "B" category is great (we always booked them in the past and do prefer PH suite on the Voyager to the regular suites).

Looking at the web prices here in the UK, the upgrade prices do not look to be that good a deal. Partly depends whether you are upgrading from a D Concierge or an E Concierge.

Not sure what Regent offer in the way of flights & transfers from Cyprus. In the UK the Concierge pricing includes Economy Air; Penthouse includes Business Air (not that much of an enticement for flights within Europe). Probably academic anyway because, even if Regent are arranging your air, they probably would not be able to upgrade the air booking at this late stage.

The Concierge Suites on Voyager are a good size; the Penthouse Suites are less than 5% larger (but squarer layout) and have the same size of balcony.

If you do decide to upgrade I would advise going for the PHB, but check the location of the suite being offered.

Enjoy your cruise :D

I agree with Flossie; that is no bargain. We paid $1500 total for a Cat H to Cat B on a 25 night cruise on Voyager in 2011. 1300 pounds for 10 days doesn't sound good to me.

Marc

I agree with Flossie; that is no bargain. We paid $1500 total for a Cat H to Cat B on a 25 night cruise on Voyager in 2011. 1300 pounds for 10 days doesn't sound good to me.

Marc

1300 GBP is only $1,684.06 -- not that much money. However, unless upsells are different in the U.K. than the U.S. there would be no change in flights - no matter how far in advance you book the upsell

1300 GBP is only $1,684.06 -- not that much money.

On the Regent website the differential between a Concierge D and a Penthouse B is just under £600GBP per person, excluding air; so the late 'offer' of an upgrade for £650GBP per person does not seem very good value.

I would save my money. If it was the Mariner, I'd jump at the upgrade....

Totally agree that an upgrade from a Concierge to a Penthouse on Mariner is much more attractive than on Voyager.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your replies very helpful. I think on this occasion we will give it a miss. Seems a lot of money for not much more.

Good call :cool:

Have great cruise and use some of the money you have 'saved' to pamper yourselves:)

If you need any more spending money, just give one of the previous posters a call - sounds like they wouldn't miss the odd $1500 :D:p

On the Regent website the differential between a Concierge D and a Penthouse B is just under £600GBP per person, excluding air; so the late 'offer' of an upgrade for £650GBP per person does not seem very good value.

Wish that you had mentioned this in your earlier post. Offering an upgrade for more than the actual fare of the suite is something that I have not heard of in all of my years on CC and sailing on Regent. I'm now wondering if the TA made an error or if it was Regent.

Looking at the web prices here in the UK, the upgrade prices do not look to be that good a deal. Partly depends whether you are upgrading from a D Concierge or an E Concierge.

:confused: Not sure in what way my original post was not clear :confused:

I do not know the full details of fudge's booking; in particular whether fudge is booked in a D or E grade Concierge and whether Regent's prices for someone booking from Northern Cyprus are the same as UK pricing.

All I can confirm is that on the Regent UK website the cruise only differential D to B is just under £600; E to B is around £800; D to A just under £900; E to A around £1100.

Differentials between suite grades for the same cruise (01 June, Voyager, Venice to Monte Carlo, 10 nights) are significantly higher on the Regent US website.

:confused: Not sure in what way my original post was not clear :confused:

I do not know the full details of fudge's booking; in particular whether fudge is booked in a D or E grade Concierge and whether Regent's prices for someone booking from Northern Cyprus are the same as UK pricing.

All I can confirm is that on the Regent UK website the cruise only differential D to B is just under £600; E to B is around £800; D to A just under £900; E to A around £1100.

Differentials between suite grades for the same cruise (01 June, Voyager, Venice to Monte Carlo, 10 nights) are significantly higher on the Regent US website.

In your first post you said "........ the upgrade prices do not look to be that good a deal". Maybe I interrupted this incorrectly but. IMO, your first statement is way different than the upgrade prices being higher than if the TS booked it themselves. Being in the U.S., I cannot assume that the pricing is the same in the U.K, - given all of the differentials.

In any case, I still believe that it is an error as Regent does not price upsells higher than the standard fares.

BTW, in the U.S. there is a huge sale going on ....... is this the same in the U.K. (asking because I do not believe this is a holiday in the U.K.)?

BTW, in the U.S. there is a huge sale going on ....... is this the same in the U.K. (asking because I do not believe this is a holiday in the U.K.)?

I was just on the Regent site a couple of hours ago. There is a 'Luxury Summer Sale' on.

It is a holiday weekend in the UK.

Edited by Isklaar
Change position of words!

I was just on the Regent site a couple of hours ago. There is a 'Luxury Summer Sale' on.

It is a holiday weekend in the UK.

Thanks for the quick response! The sale is good but we got the same prices from our TA three weeks ago (many TA's in the U.S. were advertising these prices on the internet).