Southwest's "Earlybird Checkin" ?

jsf

Anyone familar with this way of getting an early boarding pass? We are flying into Bayonne for our cruise and our TA suggested getting this package and we are not used to flying Southwest. The TA said to register as soon as possible for best results online and the site is a little confusing ie: 36 hrs. before flight time and not being able to print until 24 hrs. before ???. Any Help!

Thank's

J.

If you do early bird check-in when you book your flight- you get assigned a number in the system. Then all you do is print out your boarding passes 24 or less hours prior to departure. It will print a number on your boarding pass. It will be in the "A" group- which means that you will board ahead of the "B" and "C" groups.

When you go to board they will call group "A" 1-30, then "A" 30-60.

For those that don't do earlybird, you can check-in on line 24 hours before the flight and you will get you boarding number. If you do it 24 hours ahead you are more likely to get a good number. If you wait until right before the flight- you'll get a worse number.

I don't usually do it but it is wise to do it if you prefer a window seat or aisle seat. Sometimes you'll get on and they will all be taken and only get a middle seat and you definitely want to get seats together.

I have flown Southwest many times and I have almost always gotten seats together but sometimes you don't. I think it would be wise to do the earlybird for you.

When you pay for Early Bird checkin at Southwest, you don't have to worry about checking into the flight and printing out a boarding pass. We always do the Early Bird option on our return flight so that we don't have to worry about checking in within the 24-hour period to secure our seats on our flight (checking in secures your seats; printing out boarding passes is a convenience).

So, literally, the Southwest computer will generate an automatic check in for you, for the flight that you have purchased the Early Bird option. When you arrive at the airport, you just use your confirmation number to log on to the computer and receive your boarding pass and check in your luggage. At that time, you will find out whether you've made it into the A, B, or C boarding group. Usually, but NOT guaranteed, you will be part of the A group when you do an Early Bird check in option.

Since you don't usually fly Southwest, the way you board a Southwest flight is to line up at the stanchions that are clearly marked; they begin with A and will number 1-30 on one side and 31-60 on the other side. You line up within groups of 5 (in other words, you will see 20-25 within one section). Depending upon whom you may be around, you will find people who insist on being in front of you (or behind you) depending upon their number; other people are content to just be within the grouping. It's really no big deal.

If you are traveling with small children that require assistance, family boarding occurs after the A group boards and before the B group begins boarding. You will see the A that was being shown at those stanchions flip over and show a B. It's really quite an orderly process of boarding.

As you know, you don't have seat assignments, so when you enter the aircraft you choose a seat that feels good to you. You will find experienced Southwest passengers playing the window-aisle "game," in other words, leaving the middle seat vacant between them as a couple. Sometimes, they will move together if you go for the middle seat and sometimes they'll just let a "stranger" sit between them. The only reason people scramble for an A boarding group booking is to grab overhead bin space; the same on all aircraft anywhere, IMO. If the flight originated somewhere else, you might also find that there are passengers already on the plane from the previous airport. The best thing to do is just ask the gate attendant for the occupancy of the flight; coming back from a cruise, I usually find that the flight is full.

FYI. If you purchase Early Bird and then cancel your flight, you will not get the Early Bird fee refunded. If you change your flight, you can retain your Early Bird purchase as long as your confirmation number remains the same. Your flight money is good for one year, from the time of purchase, with Southwest.

We are frequent Southwest flyers. I hope I've answered your question. If not, please let me know and I'll try to be more informative.

I fly Southwest 2 or 3 times a week the way early bird works the earlier you book early bird the lower your boarding number the airline assigns you a number 36 hours before the flight you can not print boarding passes out until 24 hours out. Early Bird works great on your flight home, your on the ship and can't get to a phone, go to the airport, print your boarding pass and you have a low number.

The worst number my wife has had is B 12, because I fly so much I always get A16 that's what I have all year long. We usually get it for the home bound trip, we can check her in 24 hours in advance on the out bound, inbound we are out a sea.

Have any other questions ask away:)

I generally do earlybird on the way home, but not on the way out. On the way out, I log in 24 hrs before my flight to get my line-up number. On the way home, it is much easier to just pay the $10 per person and let that give me as early a line-up number as possible.

My legs are quite long, so I prefer the aisle seat, dh doesn't care. We were at the tail end of A on the way home last time.

We are frequent Southwest fliers and always use the $10 early bird option on both segments of the flight. Relieves the stress of checking in 23 hours and 59 minutes before flight time to ensure an A.

Even with SW's two bags fly free policy, many people have carryons. If you are a mid-B, or heaven forbid, a C, it is likely that your carryon won't make it on the plane as the overhead compartments are full. This is especially true for the short haul flights that cater to businessmen (or women) that are flying for a day or two. (My husband and I are both frequent LAX/Bay area SW flyers.) These flights are packed with briefcases and roll-aboard suitcases.

If you want to save money, have just one person sign up for the early bird and save the other his/her seat next to you. You can add "early bird" at almost any time--but I think the number is limited.

I just got back from Tampa last week. Booked my SW ticket just two weeks before the flight, due to a great rate. Did the early-bird and got A21 from Indy to Tampa and on the return, Tampa to Indy- A29. So glad that I did this as the return flight came in from Ft.Lauderdale and there were passengers already on the plane so if I were not in the A group, it would have been slim-pickings or middle seats. After landing in Indy, the flight went on to Chicago and then Phoenix so you can get a picuture of just how crowded the flight was.

I always book the EB because it's like a dice roll; you just never know how full the flight will be or if the flight is coming in from another city with passengers that will remain on the plane for a future destination.

:)

...If you want to save money, have just one person sign up for the early bird and save the other his/her seat next to you. You can add "early bird" at almost any time--but I think the number is limited.

Not a good practice to advertise that you are saving seats!

There is no limit to the number of passengers that can purchase EarlyBird Check-In. It just needs to be added more than 36 hours before a flight. That is when the boarding numbers are assigned. The folks with "Anytime Fares" (fully refundable) will be assigned a lower boarding position number than those with "Wanna Get Away Fares" (changeable w/ no fee). If a "Business Select Fare" is purchased, a boarding position of A1 - A15 is automatically assigned. Therefore, EarlyBird Check-In is not an option.

Here is a link to Southwest's FAQ about EarlyBird Check-In: http://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/faqs.html?topic=earlybird_checkin

I don't, but people do.

Meh, I did it once. Only once. I figured I could pull off the "cool guy seat save" once in my life.

Besides, the other person was only like 15 spots behind me in line so nobody even inquired about said seat ;)

Anyone familar with this way of getting an early boarding pass? We are flying into Bayonne for our cruise and our TA suggested getting this package and we are not used to flying Southwest. The TA said to register as soon as possible for best results online and the site is a little confusing ie: 36 hrs. before flight time and not being able to print until 24 hrs. before ???. Any Help!

Thank's

J.

This is a great thing to do. By signing up for it you will get a great place in line so you don't have the pressure of printing off your boarding pass 24 hours prior to the flight or anytime before you arrive to the airport.

The earlier you sign up for it the better place in line you will be assigned so I would do this now.

Keith

We have never bothered to pay the $10 and just check in 24 hours in advance. Always gotten at the end of the 'A' group. When on a cruise we get someone else to do it for us. Once, I told my non-cruising son I'd give him $20 for doing the 4 of us. He set an alarm in his phone. I rather give him $20 than $40 to the airline. :D

Also, I HATE when people start paying for one and then saving seats......but have often seen this happen.:cool:

When you pay for Early Bird checkin at Southwest, you don't have to worry about checking into the flight and printing out a boarding pass. We always do the Early Bird option on our return flight so that we don't have to worry about checking in within the 24-hour period to secure our seats on our flight (checking in secures your seats; printing out boarding passes is a convenience).

So, literally, the Southwest computer will generate an automatic check in for you, for the flight that you have purchased the Early Bird option. When you arrive at the airport, you just use your confirmation number to log on to the computer and receive your boarding pass and check in your luggage. At that time, you will find out whether you've made it into the A, B, or C boarding group. Usually, but NOT guaranteed, you will be part of the A group when you do an Early Bird check in option.

Since you don't usually fly Southwest, the way you board a Southwest flight is to line up at the stanchions that are clearly marked; they begin with A and will number 1-30 on one side and 31-60 on the other side. You line up within groups of 5 (in other words, you will see 20-25 within one section). Depending upon whom you may be around, you will find people who insist on being in front of you (or behind you) depending upon their number; other people are content to just be within the grouping. It's really no big deal.

If you are traveling with small children that require assistance, family boarding occurs after the A group boards and before the B group begins boarding. You will see the A that was being shown at those stanchions flip over and show a B. It's really quite an orderly process of boarding.

As you know, you don't have seat assignments, so when you enter the aircraft you choose a seat that feels good to you. You will find experienced Southwest passengers playing the window-aisle "game," in other words, leaving the middle seat vacant between them as a couple. Sometimes, they will move together if you go for the middle seat and sometimes they'll just let a "stranger" sit between them. The only reason people scramble for an A boarding group booking is to grab overhead bin space; the same on all aircraft anywhere, IMO. If the flight originated somewhere else, you might also find that there are passengers already on the plane from the previous airport. The best thing to do is just ask the gate attendant for the occupancy of the flight; coming back from a cruise, I usually find that the flight is full.

FYI. If you purchase Early Bird and then cancel your flight, you will not get the Early Bird fee refunded. If you change your flight, you can retain your Early Bird purchase as long as your confirmation number remains the same. Your flight money is good for one year, from the time of purchase, with Southwest.

We are frequent Southwest flyers. I hope I've answered your question. If not, please let me know and I'll try to be more informative.

Thank you that was a great explanation. I too am a frequent SWA user (or used to be now I look for low/sale price because it is not always Southwest as the lowest) and at first would not use the airline because of the boarding mess (standing in line forever so could get better seat) but with the newer system I think it is by far the best in civility and speed. They used to have a little film called "boarding school" which introduces how the system works. I am putting "boarding school" in the title with your quote so that we can find it with search tool. :)barbara

• 2 weeks later...

Ready to book our flights and found that the best price and times are the Southwest "wanta get away" online only rate. Have never flown SW since they never where at our airport.

Can I still purchase the early boarding pass or will we be way down on the list because of our cost?

thanks

Ready to book our flights and found that the best price and times are the Southwest "wanta get away" online only rate. Have never flown SW since they never where at our airport.

Can I still purchase the early boarding pass or will we be way down on the list because of our cost?

thanks

You can add the earlybird check in to your purchase. I believe it guarantees you an A boarding pass.

You can add the earlybird check in to your purchase. I believe it guarantees you an A boarding pass.

Not only are you an "A"--you are right after the executive tickets A1-A15. We always pay the $10 extra and are usually A21 to A24.

Not only are you an "A"--you are right after the executive tickets A1-A15. We always pay the $10 extra and are usually A21 to A24.

Early Bird does not guarantee an A boarding. It gives you a good chance, but there is not a guarantee.

From their website - "While EarlyBird Check-InSM doesn't guarantee an A boarding position, it improves your seat selection options to help you get your favorite seat."

We always do early bird for one person. My wife or I get early bird and take an aisle or window saving the center seat for the other. It saves $10.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We always do early bird for one person. My wife or I get early bird and take an aisle or window saving the center seat for the other. It saves $10.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

until someone who has paid the extra money wants that seat. i would be willing to bet there is 'no seat saving' language in the contract somewhere.

Thanks - Ok, I think I understand the early bird and will get them BUt can anyone tell me about the "wanna get away" rate. IS my ticket just as good as any of the other ones?

That's just their name for their base fare. It still comes with free bags and no change fees (but you may pay more for a fare difference). The next fare up, "Anytime", is fully refundable and has free same-day standby.

Wanna Get Away is just their cheapest fare like any other airline. That's what most people purchase. They just have given it a "catchy" name, if you want to call it that.

Is your ticket "just as good"? Well, that depends. As far as just traveling, yes, it's just as good. If you want to be able to get a full refund should your plans change or if you want to be able to stand-by on your day of travel for free, no, it's not as good as the "Anytime" or "Business Select" fare. But for most travelers, "Wanna Get Away" is just fine. I myself booked one today for a Nashville to Kansas City flight in November for work.

If for some reason you have to change your "Wanna Get Away" ticket SW gives you full value to apply to another fare/ticket. If you aren't using it, you will have a full credit you can apply for 365 days. No $150 change fee or lose the full value like most of the other airlines.

This is their best value ticket--no difference in treatment or seat than any of the others.

If for some reason you have to change your "Wanna Get Away" ticket SW gives you full value to apply to another fare/ticket. If you aren't using it, you will have a full credit you can apply for 365 days. No $150 change fee or lose the full value like most of the other airlines.

This is their best value ticket--no difference in treatment or seat than any of the others.

365 days from the date of PURCHASE, not the date of TRAVEL. Just to clarify. As an example of my recent purchase:

Ticket Purchased: August 22, 2012

Flight Date:November 26, 2012

Funds Good Until: August 22, 2013

Archived