St Maarten beach break

rcsailing

Maybe I'm mixing up the names but isn't Great Bay the close beach that is polluted?

We've decided to go to Little Divi. It's also close to port and has everything you need.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

I ran across some info on this yesterday. What I've found so far is that the Bay does not appear to be polluted 100% of the time. When they get heavy rain in Phillipsburg, the water level in the pond to the North of town begins to discharge into Great Bay. Apparently that pond is polluted and the discharge from that pond can increase bacteria levels in the Bay which can make it hazardous to swim in.

I may be wrong but this is what I'm reading on the internet.:rolleyes: I guess if I go there, buyer beware and keep my eye on Phillipsburg weather before I go.

If you want to relax on the beach without jets flying over you then I recommend Orient Beach. Walk straight off the pier toward the shops and through an archway to get to a cul du sac with waiting taxis and vans. You will find vans loading up for Orient Beach. It's about $7 pp each way if they fill the van.

There are two drop offs at Orient Beach: One near Bikini Beach (restaurant, not a beach) and another near Pedros, which is next to the Club Orient nude beach. Arrange in advance for a return trip or wait for other vans trying to load up with passengers heading back for the pier.

You can walk along the beach until you find a bar that appeal to you renting chairs and umbrellas if you don't want to simply lay a towel out in the sand. I don't believe that there are any public restroom or changing facilities, but then again that area has had some recent construction.

I'd suggest boarding a taxi at least 90 minutes before the all-onboard time due to unpredictable traffic on the return trip.

Always set your watch for ship's time and be aware of the time difference if you agree upon a return time with a taxi driver.

All of this assumes that your day in port will not be affected by any of the recent protests at the beach access.

I ran across some info on this yesterday. What I've found so far is that the Bay does not appear to be polluted 100% of the time. When they get heavy rain in Phillipsburg, the water level in the pond to the North of town begins to discharge into Great Bay. Apparently that pond is polluted and the discharge from that pond can increase bacteria levels in the Bay which can make it hazardous to swim in.

I may be wrong but this is what I'm reading on the internet.:rolleyes: I guess if I go there, buyer beware and keep my eye on Phillipsburg weather before I go.

Good to know and makes sense.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

Orient Beach was a great beach but most of the small restaurants along the beach have been torn down and the government built new places that look alike, just different colors. Some businesses haven't come back, such as Orange Fever. I understand that the old renters are very unhappy mainly because their rent tripled and the new buildings arent up to code. Not the same place anymore.

Which is the best beach at St. Maarten? Can we get there on our own?

There are indeed gorgeous beaches on SXM but Orient is not one of them. Orient is a long beach that is home to several hotels and restaurants and where too many of your fellow passengers go. Don't settle for that (unless of course that is a nice beach to you!). Same with Maho. Pinel Island also isn't worth the time IMHO...

We'd recommend getting away from the hordes and going to one of the nicer beaches. Do a bit of research as recommended to see what beach is best in your mind. There are tons of resources including tripadvisor and folks who stay on SXM often. Other sites -

http://www.sint-maarten.net/St-Maarten-Beaches/stmaarten_Beaches.html

http://www.sxm-beaches.com/

The leeward beaches to the west are typically calmer and nice swimming beaches as compared to Orient which faces the open Atlantic.

We would take the time to head for Friar's Bay and perhaps walk to Happy Bay. Gorgeous beach with beach bars. Or Baie Rouge which is very nice and has beach bars and rentals.

Enjoy researching the different options, and if you have passports and a longer port time don't forget Anguilla with Shoal Bay East and other gorgeous beaches.

Edited by blue_water

Protesters blocking roads. Have you been lately. I have. Delays getting through roadblocks added 2 hours to the cab ride back. I'd check with the ship before you head out.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

According to recent posts and news updates no longer a concern.

I'd want more authoritative reports before advising against Great Bay and since we're staying there this year I will read up on that as it's the first I've heard of it. Thousands of people stay on and visit GB every year...

I'd want more authoritative reports before advising against Great Bay and since we're staying there this year I will read up on that as it's the first I've heard of it. Thousands of people stay on and visit GB every year...

I agree. What I've read isn't going to stop me from swimming in the Bay next month. I look at the webcam almost everyday and I see people swimming in the Bay. If there was indeed a serious issue with the quality of water in the Bay, then I believe we would read more about in the form of legal complaints. I understand that the salt pond may very well be polluted and there is some agreement on that. The pond also discharges into Great Bay during heavy rain events, otherwise it is contained. I'll keep an eye on the weather there prior to my visit and if there's been no heavy, I doubt I'll have any issues enjoying my day at the beach.

I agree. What I've read isn't going to stop me from swimming in the Bay next month. I look at the webcam almost everyday and I see people swimming in the Bay. If there was indeed a serious issue with the quality of water in the Bay, then I believe we would read more about in the form of legal complaints. I understand that the salt pond may very well be polluted and there is some agreement on that. The pond also discharges into Great Bay during heavy rain events, otherwise it is contained. I'll keep an eye on the weather there prior to my visit and if there's been no heavy, I doubt I'll have any issues enjoying my day at the beach.

Hi! I did find a water quality test report from mid-2012, and that test revealed medium levels of nitrates, phosphates, and nitrogen in Great Bay and other swimming areas signifying there was pollution and some sewage present. The primary concern as you said was the Great Salt Pond and other areas.

I've seen this reported in other Carib islands, and since we're planning to stay in Great Bay later this year I would like to see more recent reports since these are identified as annual inspections. I see many people enjoying swimming in the bay as well, and am not concerned but will be aware of any heavy rains prior to our visit. Thanks for the info and please report back on how you like great Bay! :)

[EDIT] I later read the full report and the results for Great Bay are very insignificant so that's good!

Edited by blue_water

I am so sad and confused,when we went a few years back this was our favorite beach day and when I booked my cruise I assumed we would just chill there again but with everything I am reading I am wondering what to do,my other option was little Divi ,we have a large party so not sure I'd getting over there would cost us alot

From time to time they have drained the "polluted" water into great bay as well if I am remembering correctly. I just wish that they would post signs at the beach stating that the water is swimable or not.

Has anyone been to Mr. Busby's at Dawn Beach lately? Last posts on a search were from 2014.

We had lunch at Mr. Busby's in mid-February - good food and reasonable prices - even though their major beach competition, Beau Beau's was closed. Still chair and umbrella rentals as well.

If we are in St Maarten on a day when 5 cruise ships are docked is there ANY chance to find a QUIET beach? We don't care about food, beer or vendors, we need a quite place to enjoy the water and maybe some snorkeling?

Sure there is a chance. Renting a car would be the way to go in my opinion.

I've heard parking is an issue. It's 6 of us including little kids and older parents so I wasn't sure about car rentals. You think that should be a good ideA? If we rent and go on other side of island are we likely to find a quiet spot?

I've heard parking is an issue. It's 6 of us including little kids and older parents so I wasn't sure about car rentals. You think that should be a good ideA? If we rent and go on other side of island are we likely to find a quiet spot?

I have never found a "quiet beach" that hasn't had parking yet.:)

I'm not sure that the cost of a rental vehicle for 6 is worth it for you. You would need to look in to that. If there are 5 ships in then you must be visiting between nov and apr and that's a pretty busy time on the island. There are beaches that will be quieter like Baie Plum but why not just take a taxi to Le Galion beach. It's a nice family beach with calm, shallow water. With kids and older parents a washroom and a place for drinks and some natural shade might come in very handy.

Again comes tge question of car seats

We don't want to drag car seats around

If we can just get out and have kids in a taxi strapped in a seat and won't get a fine for that- great.

Also does that le gal ion beach have any snorkeling?

Again comes tge question of car seats

We don't want to drag car seats around

If we can just get out and have kids in a taxi strapped in a seat and won't get a fine for that- great.

Also does that le gal ion beach have any snorkeling?

I snorkeled their years ago but it was not good then. Haven't read that it's better now though and don't see anyone snorkeling when I visit.

Thank you!is it easy to just exit the port and find a taxi there? Ask them to rake us on a ride around the island and stop off at the beach for a few hours and then come back pick up?

What would be approximate rate?

I would count on $7 pp each way to Le Galion. The taxis are right at the port. Asking the driver to come back at a set time is a good idea. The restaurant open everyday but Monday's may-October also could call you a taxi and if worst comes to worst the main road going in and out of Orient is less than 400 yes away so it's not a beach that I would worry getting stuck at.

I wouldn't recommend relying on a taxi at an out of the way decent snorkeling, quiet beach like Baie Prune though as I would not want to get stranded out there without a vehicle on a cruise myself.

• 2 months later...