Best place to snorkel!

Shelby0208

I know this is not the answer you are looking for I just feel like I had to share, But if you get a chance to go to Barbados, snorkeling with the turtles is the best snorkeling I have ever done hands down.

Never snorkeled at any of them places you been too though

Edited by trev71

Not sure any of those places is "best." When on St Thomas you can certainly go over to St Johns and snorkel at Trunk Bay. If you could somehow get a boat to take you to Watermelon Cay (off St Johns) that might be the best. On St Thomas we find all the popular snorkeling spots (such as Coki Beach/Point) horribly ruined and overrated. We have our own little spots (such as along the left side of Lindbergh Bay) which is just OK. Some of the best snorkeling we have had in the region is at some of the smaller islands in the Bahamas (such as off Great Exuma) and drift snokeling in the slot between Bonaire and Klein Bonaire (best done on the Woodwind boat owned by Dee). There is also a decent area (but not great) off Arashi Beach (out to sea and towards Malmok Beach). In the past few years we have found some of the best snorkeling in the South Pacific (at quite a few different islands) and on some spots of the Great Barrier Reef.

The problem is that much of the world's shallow coral reefs have been horribly damaged by both man and the environment. One can certainly find some decent snorkel experiences without good coral, but when you do have a healthy shallow coral reef it is just amazing.

Hank

I agree with Hank on Trunk Bay. You don't even need to be let off a boat. There is an underwater trail and great snorkeling. Don't know what cruise line you're on, but Royal Caribbean has a ferry right from the cruise port and it's pretty cheap. From that Grand Turk cruise port, there is excellent snorkeling from ship excursions (the cruise ships control that port :mad: ). We were able to see some stingrays while snorkeling and later we did a swim with the rays excursion. Have fun. Too bad St Martin is not included in your itinerary. I like the 7-day itineraries which include St Thomas and St Martin back to back.

Of the places you are visiting, I would recommend Grand Turk, by a wide margin. The reefs there are still fairly healthy. You can snorkel to "The Wall" which is amazing! The water goes from maybe 10 feet to s sharp drop off so deep you cannot see all the way down. Its incredible.

It is incorrect to say that the cruise lines have complete control over Grand Turk. Carnival did build the immediate port area, but there are multiple independent companies you can book with plus plenty to see if you get away from the port area. We booked with White Sands who get great reviews here and on Tripadvisor. They took very good care of us. We were able to snorkel at the wall as well as at a shallow reef. We also got to swim with stingrays. It was a great excursion.

I have also snorkeled all over the Caribbean. The Wall on Grand Turk I have found exciting but the depth IMO does not lend itself to great snorkeling. Trunk Bay I am certain is a terrific snorkel site but the one day we went there the wind was up and had stirred up the white coral sand bottom so that the water was so cloudy that the snorkeling was not very good and certainly not worth the expense and effort to go there. I have snorkeled at Coki many times including 3 days this year and always have been rewarded with excellent snorkeling and underwater photography. The secret with Coki is get of the ship early, grab the first cab that is going out there as the beach does get crowded in the late morning. As you enter the water move to the right around the rocks toward Coral World and you will see lots of fish.

I would also say that it depends on what type of snorkeling you want to do. Do you want to go out on a boat to snorkel or from the shore/beach area?

Out of those listed, I have been to all but San Juan and I would pick St Thomas for beach snorkeling and go to Coki beach. The snorkeling there was amazing. (I have a review in my signature line with tons of pictures to show you the type of snorkeling there if you are interested)

I tend to agree with the St. Thomas/St. John replies. One word of caution about Trunk Bay - when you snorkel over the marked "trail", the water depth is deep enough you cannot "rest" by standing. If you are not a strong swimmer, you may want to invest in a life jacket or keep the rock outcropping close at hand so you can grab something to rest on. On St. Thomas there is a small beach/cove area known to some as Hidden Beach. There are rocks, coral, and fish/turtles that stay in the area. Whichever you decide on, have a great time and enjoy the cruise!

Out of St. Thomas, Half Moon Cay, San Juan, and Grand Turk - where would you say the best snorkeling is? We want to actually see stuff, not just a sandy bottom. Please help!!

In St. Thomas go to St. John (Trunk Bay is good there).

Grand Turk has good snorkeling also.

HMC ... so so

Worst is San Juan. Do something else on your port stop there. ;)

LuLu

Out of St. Thomas, Half Moon Cay, San Juan, and Grand Turk - where would you say the best snorkeling is? We want to actually see stuff, not just a sandy bottom. Please help!!

Consider coming to Oz and snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef? :D