Shorts now part of the casual dress code

I don't mind the change(except the tank top part), especially for cruises in warm climates. Although I prefer it the old way. They need to distinguish between shorts and men's bathing suits. I don't want to see bathing suits in the dining room.

Is there still a notation about proper attire in main dining room and specialty restaurants? I just don't have a very good appetite when I see fat, cracks, etc hanging out at dinner!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A friend of mine said there were no signs at the entrance to the MDR on the Harmony this month, not sure about specialty restaurants. If he reads this I am sure that he will chime in

If this is new, I'm in favor. What I'm against is tank tops as I don't want tot see hairy arms and part of the chest cavity.

This will present undesirable side-boob on both women and men. ;p

"When you're onboard, the right look will vary by venue".

I see no reference to the above statement that shorts/tank tops are being allowed in the MDR at dinner.

I agree, there's no need to assume that shorts and tank tops are now acceptable in the MDR for dinner.

"When you're onboard, the right look will vary by venue".

I see no reference to the above statement that shorts/tank tops are being allowed in the MDR at dinner.

But you see no reference that they're not being allowed either. Expect to see a lot more "skin and hair" in the MDR from now on, depending on the bravery of the welcoming team. :o

Is there still a notation about proper attire in main dining room and specialty restaurants? I just don't have a very good appetite when I see fat, cracks, etc hanging out at dinner!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The dining rooms follow this dress code.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If this is new, I'm in favor. What I'm against is tank tops as I don't want tot see hairy arms and part of the chest cavity.

The fact that they caved on shorts means that it's only a matter of time before they cave on any attire. If they won't enforce anything, people will keep pushing the limits and the limits will change.

Hmmmmm...

In all of my 45 past cruises, I have had the ritual of changing out of the cargo shorts and T-shirts I wear all day in port or around the ship...and into long dockers and a collared and buttoned shirt or golf shirt for dinner (on casual nights)...A hassle, but always part of the routine...

At home, there are lots of restaurants, even some nice ones here in laid-back SoCal, where cargo shorts and a golf shirt are completely acceptable. Am I to understand that this is now also true on RCCL ships? I mean there is nothing particularly unseemly about the outfit--the shorts go down to my knees, the shirts cover up my upper torso...and the clothes are nice...nice "resort wear"...

So, when I go on my back-to-backs in Europe this summer, can I get away NOT packing a couple of pairs of long pants? ...and not run back to my cabin after the day's activities to do a complete change? Or should I pack all the long pants anyway, expecting the "rule change" to be slow taking effect and not wanting to look out of place?

Also, how about the Diamond Lounge? What is the dress code for that nowadays?

But you see no reference that they're not being allowed either. Expect to see a lot more "skin and hair" in the MDR from now on, depending on the bravery of the welcoming team. :o

Correct, but IMHO, people have been waiting for the day when they see that shorts are acceptable in black & white from RCI. They are now "assuming" that shorts/tank tops are acceptable in the MDR.

Erik says that the MDR follows the above dress code. If that is true, then why did they insert "the right look will vary by venue"??

Correct, but IMHO, people have been waiting for the day when they see that shorts are acceptable in black & white from RCI. They are now "assuming" that shorts/tank tops are acceptable in the MDR.

Erik says that the MDR follows the above dress code. If that is true, then why did they insert "the right look will vary by venue"??

I hope you're right, I really do.

The wording is confusing

This will present undesirable side-boob on both women and men. ;p

Only if the people wearing them have such a thing :)

I for one am happy with this change, but I am surprised to see tank tops included in this.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Some people look really good in tank tops, and some tank tops are really dressy, but because they are sleeveless would still be considered a "tank top." A tank top on a person with really nicely toned arms and shoulders can be really flattering. But even on a person with less attractive arms a tank top isn't offensive to me.

Clarification from Royal

ec4e48e3c408702e030643cb6c50858b.jpg

That quote entirely contradicts their new YouTube video and website guidance.

What are we supposed to think?

I think we all knew the day shorts were allowed in the MDR was coming, - at least legs are kept under the table, but tank tops? In the MDR? I'm sure there will be some "nice" and "dressy" styles, but no thank you.

From Royal Caribbean blog...

Royal Caribbean adds shorts to approved clothing for main dining room

In:

27Mar2017

Royal Caribbean's website now lists shorts as one of the suggested forms of clothing to adhere to the cruise line's dress code while dining in the main dining room on casual nights.

The website now describes casual night suggested attire as, "Jeans, shorts, tees, tank tops, polos, sundresses and blouses are all the right amount of laid back. Please keep swimwear to the Pool Deck."

Just to let you know that the first 3 links do not work.

That quote entirely contradicts their new YouTube video and website guidance.

What are we supposed to think?

I think we all knew the day shorts were allowed in the MDR was coming, - at least legs are kept under the table, but tank tops? In the MDR? I'm sure there will be some "nice" and "dressy" styles, but no thank you.

Do you happen to have the YouTube link ?

I remember seeing it.