Shorts now part of the casual dress code

That quote entirely contradicts their new YouTube video and website guidance.

What are we supposed to think?

I think we all knew the day shorts were allowed in the MDR was coming, - at least legs are kept under the table, but tank tops? In the MDR? I'm sure there will be some "nice" and "dressy" styles, but no thank you.

OMG, Royal Caribbean "INCONSISTENCY" at its finest!!!!!

Isn't "Smart Casual" suggested for dinner? Shorts are only included under casual attire. I'm not sure tat I see any change.

Royal typically has Casual, Smart Casual, and Formal suggestions for dinner in the Main Dining Room.

Isn't "Smart Casual" suggested for dinner? Shorts are only included under casual attire. I'm not sure tat I see any change.

Suggested MDR dress has been Casual for other than Formal Nights, but reading the various posts here, bumping the MDR to Smart Casual may well be their intention. It's amazing how even the simplest of changes are so very badly and confusingly communicated.

Their new website guidance and "What to wear for dinner" video states that complimentary dining, including the MDR and Windjammer are now "Casual", their description of which, includes shorts and tank tops.

However, their live tweet above this post states that MDR is now a "Smart Casual Venue", and describe it as "a step UP from your typical dinner wear"

Don't worry if you're confused. I think we all are. :rolleyes:

Edited by Board_Shorts

Royal typically has Casual, Smart Casual, and Formal suggestions for dinner in the Main Dining Room.

Correct as usual Bob but Smart Casual has been effective ignored for about the last ten years. A few of us guys can still remember toting both a tux and a sport coat on cruises. Today many cruisers consider Smart Casual as acceptable for Formal.

Correct as usual Bob but Smart Casual has been effective ignored for about the last ten years. A few of us guys can still remember toting both a tux and a sport coat on cruises. Today many cruisers consider Smart Casual as acceptable for Formal.

I agree Pete, I've said a few times here that I cannot tell the difference in what people actually wear between a Casual and Smart Casual night.

I'm not really sure what the uproar is about. This is only confirming what's been going on for years now. How many times was the old policy actually enforced? Not many from my experiences. I've always seen this kind of 'wear' in the dinning rooms. Whether you are for or against it; it isn't going nowhere. Either get aboard or be labled by some as a prude. Truthfully, this is just another attempt by RCCL to move those who look for the 'traditional' or old school cruising to their 'paid' specialty dining services. Why? Because these are 'usually' the seasoned cruisers who will regularly pay a premium for the nostalgia of old. IMHO of course!

I agree Pete, I've said a few times here that I cannot tell the difference in what people actually wear between a Casual and Smart Casual night.

How true. Its easy to tell the difference between a phone and a smart phone but casual and smart casual is an enigma.

I'm not really sure what the uproar is about. This is only confirming what's been going on for years now. How many times was the old policy actually enforced? Not many from my experiences. I've always seen this kind of 'wear' in the dinning rooms. Whether you are for or against it; it isn't going nowhere. Either get aboard or be labled by some as a prude. Truthfully, this is just another attempt by RCCL to move those who look for the 'traditional' or old school cruising to their 'paid' specialty dining services. Why? Because these are 'usually' the seasoned cruisers who will regularly pay a premium for the nostalgia of old. IMHO of course!

I believe Royal giving "the seal of approval" means you will see more than half the MDR in shorts/t-shirts at night. Which means if I don't feel like changing into long pants....i won't now. I did in the past.

Really hate the idea of tank tops being allowed for men.....hairy armpits at dinner. I would probably switch tables.

No.....I Would switch tables.[emoji40]

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Why? Because these are 'usually' the seasoned cruisers who will regularly pay a premium for the nostalgia of old. IMHO of course!

Careful with your stereotypes, sorry, opinions, there. I'm a mid 30s male and like to think "I know how to dress". That's one reason I love to cruise. How other people dress doesn't really affect me, wear what you want, I'm not looking at you. However I'd like a little more clarification of what is now expected, and this is just adding to the confusion, not helping it.

By the way, the only time you'll see me wearing the "Board_Shorts" from my username, is when I'm on the Flowrider ;)

Edited by Board_Shorts

We were just on Allure (March 12th sailing) - and what baffled me is what was considered ok on formal nights in the MDR.

We saw everything from shorts and tshirts to tuxedos. The most obnoxious was a guy in an underwear (v-neck, thin white cotton) t-shirt that was wrinkled and not that clean - paired with his bizarre sequined belt and very worn jeans. This was the second formal night in the MDR.

Two weeks ago on Harmony I made a point of asking 3 different people who were stationed outside the MDR during the day if shorts were acceptable to wear to dinner in the evening. On each occasion I was told yes shorts are acceptable. It's not like I put them on the spot as I was walking into dinner (for the record we didn't even eat in the MDR).

Gone also was any signage regarding dress requirements outside of the MDR as there has been in the past.

They apparently DON'T intend that all non-formal nights in the MDR are "smart casual".

Their website publishes THIS chart:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do

Clearly shows, for example, for a 7-night cruise...4 casual, 1 smart casual and 2 formal...

And it CLEARLY states that this is for..."Dinner attire...Meals in the main dining room follow this schedule:"

The fact that they caved on shorts means that it's only a matter of time before they cave on any attire. If they won't enforce anything, people will keep pushing the limits and the limits will change.

I agree. I worked for an consulting firm and when they went to leisure clothing on Friday's, some gals began wearing short shorts and guys wearing shorts. They stopped the practice quickly by identifying was proper clothing.

It was about time, everything is changing in the world and Royal was stuck with a policy of the past. Royal is doing everything to attract millennial to their ship with ad using go pro, thrill excursions, even young people in those comercial, and the famous phrase "This is not a cruise".

We got their point, this is not a cruise so we imagine we are in an all inclusive near the beach without many rules when it comes to their restaurant.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Their new website guidance and "What to wear for dinner" video states that complimentary dining, including the MDR and Windjammer are now "Casual", their description of which, includes shorts and tank tops.

However, their live tweet above this post states that MDR is now a "Smart Casual Venue", and describe it as "a step UP from your typical dinner wear"

Don't worry if you're confused. I think we all are. :rolleyes:

Phew, not just me.

Maybe RCL should follow the Vatican dress codes in which they will not allow you in St. Peter's unless your shoulders are covered and shorts touching knees.

I remember the 1st. time in Florence, we went on tour to the Cathedral and my wife was in shorts & I guess they were not long enough, but guess what, they had women selling paper dresses to go over her shorts.