Help booking next cruise - should I do it onboard?

xyloid

Hi Guys - any help is appreciated.

We are going on a cruise next month and are already planning our cruise holiday for 2015.

We're trying to decide if we should just book now or wait until we are on our cruise next month and book onboard.

Are there any extra benefits by booking whilst on the ship?

If I book now I can get reduced deposit and $85 in onboard credit.

Any advice would be great.

We are going on a cruise next month and are already planning our cruise holiday for 2015.

We're trying to decide if we should just book now or wait until we are on our cruise next month and book onboard.

Do you have any FCC's to use on the cruise you want to book?

We have never booked onboard, just buy FCC's and book when we get home.

We have never seen any deals booking onboard. Some say they have but not for us.

I agree. Buy a (or two) FCCs on board the ship for $100 ea. and your FCC is your entire deposit for a future cruise. You don't have to book while on board, but you do have to buy the FCC(s) on board.

Edited by Treven

I agree. Buy a (or two) FCCs on board the ship for $100 ea. and your FCC is your entire deposit for a future cruise. You don't have to book while on board, but you do have to buy the FCC(s) on board.

Yes, you'll need to buy a FCC for each passenger to get the benefits. Then you each get the reduced deposit and the On Board Credit based on the length of the cruise.

We will be heading out on a cruise in a short time. We used the FCC we had for this one. We are now looking at winter cruises to defrost toes and do not have a FCC to use. There is a good sale going on right now where you get $100 OBC/person plus an upgrade from a basic balcony to a deluxe balcony for the price of a basic. It looks like the sale will end in 5 days? So, I was thinking of getting in touch with my TA and book it now.

What is the deposit if you don't have any FCC? What do all you experts think? Book now or wait till we get onboard and get a FCC?

We have learned our lesson and will be getting two/person FCC for the future!

We will be heading out on a cruise in a short time. We used the FCC we had for this one. We are now looking at winter cruises to defrost toes and do not have a FCC to use. There is a good sale going on right now where you get $100 OBC/person plus an upgrade from a basic balcony to a deluxe balcony for the price of a basic. It looks like the sale will end in 5 days? So, I was thinking of getting in touch with my TA and book it now.

What is the deposit if you don't have any FCC? What do all you experts think? Book now or wait till we get onboard and get a FCC?

If it has a refundable deposit, book now. Buy FCCs on your cruise. If the deal is still on when you get back, cancel and rebook using the FCCs. Another potential problem with waiting is that the price may go up if it is a popular cruise. If that happens the OBCs from the FCCs might not make up the difference. If the price goes down before final payment and the deposit is refundable you can call your TA and they should be able to get you the lower fare. Good luck with whichever way you decide to do it.

Not sure of the deposit amount. It seems to depend on the cruise and whatever deal that Princess is running.

Edited by ar1950

My advice is to book now so you can get the sale price and the OBC that comes with it.

You do not indicate the length of the cruise or the type cabin, but if it is a cruise of 7-10 days, then the FCC would give you each an OBC of $25 if inside/ocean view or $50 if balcony/mini-suite/full suite. The OBC you can get now beats that and you do not know if that OBC or the sale price will exist at the time you cruise.

I think the normal deposit is either 10% or 15% of the cruise cost, but I am not sure.

Make sure you get an American FCC. I have all the details somewhere. It is important.

Good thread with a lot of good info. Going on Crown Sept 6th and may ask for FCC to book a med cruise next year.

What's a American FCC? What's the difference ?

If we like Princess than we may book a med cruise on the Emerald. Had a less than great cruise on RC in 2008. This maybe our last cruise if this does not go well that's why we are holding off a cruise for next year

To find out what a deposit is, set up a booking for a particular cruise but when it asks for your credit card info simply cancel the booking. I would imagine the deposit amount would be right before that point. Or ask your TA to find out what the amount is. S/he would probably do the same steps to find out the deposit amount.

On my last cruise I bought two FCCs for myself. I used one for my upcoming Alaska cruise, next July.

Edited by Treven

Good thread with a lot of good info. Going on Crown Sept 6th and may ask for FCC to book a med cruise next year.

What's a American FCC? What's the difference ?

Priced in US $, not English Pounds, Australian $, not Euros

We are cruising from Freemantle in Jan 2016. Already booked direct with Princess Cruise Consultant in Australia. Have a friend currently on the Dawn Princess World Cruise so thought just out of interest I would see what price they were offering on board. $ 300 pp dearer!:eek:

Hi fellow cruise lovers,

We are sailing in Sept on Dawn Princess and was wondering if we purchased FCC then, are we able to use them on the 2016 World Cruise Sydney/Sydney?

Thanks

You can use them on any future cruise that you have not booked yet including a World Cruise or World Cruise segment.

Note that for a World Cruise or World Cruise segment the deposit will be 5% of the cruise fare and a 3% fare discount is provided. (I am not sure of the 3% discount replaces the OBC or not.)

If you are booking the World Cruise as multiple segments instead of as a single cruise, be sure to have enough FCCs for all the segments you are booking.

Edited by caribill

When we very "cleverly" forgot to get extra FCC we were able to book a BVE and go aboard for the afternoon. Since you are on the ship you can purchase FCC at that time. It made for a very enjoyable 4 hours or so onboard and we were able to purchase a couple of FCC each. The only down side was having to get off and watch the ship sail away without us.

... The only down side was having to get off and watch the ship sail away without us.

At that point you aren't supposed to be watching. Just walk away, don't look over your shoulder.

Edited by Treven

Yes, you'll need to buy a FCC for each passenger to get the benefits. Then you each get the reduced deposit and the On Board Credit based on the length of the cruise.

So do I understand you correctly. Both passengers in a cabin have to buy a FCC for a future cruise. If so, Princess then has a $200 deposit from us?

So do I understand you correctly. Both passengers in a cabin have to buy a FCC for a future cruise. If so, Princess then has a $200 deposit from us?

That is correct if both want the reduced deposit of $100 along with the onboard associated credits.

Mike:)

Well yes if you both want to get the benefit. You can buy only one but there is no point unless that person is cruising solo.

• 6 months later...
When we very "cleverly" forgot to get extra FCC we were able to book a BVE and go aboard for the afternoon. Since you are on the ship you can purchase FCC at that time. It made for a very enjoyable 4 hours or so onboard and we were able to purchase a couple of FCC each. The only down side was having to get off and watch the ship sail away without us.

What does "BVE" mean?

~~TIA~~