Scooters in Bermuda - I need info! (please!?)

Jagg3003

My boyfriend and I are booked on the NCL Breakaway for September. We will be in Bermuda for (more or less) 3 days.

A friend of mine and her husband told us about how they rented a scooter for the full 3 days of their cruise, and it was the best thing ever. They told us about how it was economical transpiration (didn't have to pay for taxi/bus etc...), allowed them to be on their own schedule, and it was fun!

Anyone who has done this, can you please tell me how it turned out? What is the danger level? Is it hard to get the hang of driving on the left?

Also, where did you rent from and how much did it cost you? Would you recommend the renter?

We are looking at renting one scooter, and my boyfriend (mid-thirties, good drive, responsible, wouldn't ever let anything bad happen to me, etc...) will drive the whole time (I don't even drive a car!).

Thanks for your help!

My boyfriend and I are booked on the NCL Breakaway for September. We will be in Bermuda for (more or less) 3 days.

A friend of mine and her husband told us about how they rented a scooter for the full 3 days of their cruise, and it was the best thing ever. They told us about how it was economical transpiration (didn't have to pay for taxi/bus etc...), allowed them to be on their own schedule, and it was fun!

Anyone who has done this, can you please tell me how it turned out? What is the danger level? Is it hard to get the hang of driving on the left?

Also, where did you rent from and how much did it cost you? Would you recommend the renter?

We are looking at renting one scooter, and my boyfriend (mid-thirties, good drive, responsible, wouldn't ever let anything bad happen to me, etc...) will drive the whole time (I don't even drive a car!).

Thanks for your help!

Tourists get hurt on the scooters all the time. I have seen people on my Bermuda cruises with scrapes and slings. I know someone who broke her pelvis. As far as driving on the other side, once I was sitting on the balcony of the Swizzle Inn and saw a guy look the wrong way, the way someone would like if they were driving in the USA, he missed getting creamed by a truck, only a few inches. Below is a guide from "Big Mike" that was posted here that might help you.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1883095

Edited by Charles4515

Thanks for your help!

I did the mopeds a few years ago. I wouldn't really recommend it (unless maybe if you're experienced motorcycle riders). We got there on a Sunday in November (we weren't supposed to be in Bermuda - Thanks Sandy!). It was a ghost town. Roads were pretty empty, shops were closed, not many people around. I was still super nervous and driving on the left made it twice as nerve wrecking. I had a tough time adjusting. The locals have no problems running you off the road to pass you up. I couldn't imagine doing it peak season, on a working day, with everyone out and about and 2 ships in port.

Having said all that, it really was a pretty cool experience and I'm glad I got to do it once. We made it all the way to St George and back, with stops along the way. The first day we had 2 scooters, the 2nd day we returned one, and I rode on the back (we only went to Horseshoe and back).

We rented from Oleanders right at the dockyard. I thought they were great. Having zero experience, they let me make the loop around the dockyard for as many times as I needed, until I felt confident that I could (or couldn't) handle the scooter on the road. But, it was not busy so they had the time to spend with me. I'm sure if people were waiting my experience could have been different.

I'm also taking BA to Bermuda, in June, and did not even consider renting the scooters again. I'll feel much safer using the public transportation to get around!

We've rented them several times whilst in Bermuda. As long as you pay attention, mind the speed limit, remember to ride on the "wrong" side of the road, you should be OK. We were in Bermuda last summer (and we're going again next month). You can rent from Oleander's (I'm pretty sure that's the name right at the Dock Yard). We did not, and will not. It was over $130 pp for 3 days, plus a mandatory $30 pp damage waiver. It would have come to something like just over $300 for the two of us. (plus the cost of gasoline) Get the bus/ferry pass. I think it's something like $35 for 2 days or $45 for 3 days. You might want just a two day pass and do all of your exploring then, and the 3rd day, just stay at the Dockyard and enjoy it. The bus system goes pretty much everywhere, is reliable and very efficient andsave yourself a lot of $$$$ and the angst of the possibility of an accident.

Not worth it, imho.

I have seen too many cruise ship passengers come back to the ship with broken bones, bruises, scrapes, etc to know I would never take a chance on a scooter in Bermuda! Unfortunately, several deaths have even occurred.

In addition to having to drive on the opposite side of the road (gets confusing sometimes when you make turns) you have to contend with the buses and taxis who want you out of their way.

They will ride right up on your bumper, which I would imagine would make a rider very nervous.

On our last cruise, we were stuck in traffic in a taxi and the taxi cab driver got out to talk to another driver and found out a young couple wiped out on the side of the road because the driver got nervous with the oncoming traffic.

Bermuda's transportation system is easy to navigate...and 100% safer.

Don't. Just don't.

The roads are super narrow with lots of sharp turns. The many many buses drive those narrow roads with the bushes wacking the windows and the cars and buses going the opposite way within touching distance if you were stupid enough to put your hand out. We had more than one close call with scooters. Those bus drivers have nerves of steel. They stay on time too so you don't want to be in their way.

We used the public transportation system and it was great - and I am not a public transportation type of gal.

Ditto,

Don't risk it.My wife and I always rented a tandem bike until we witnessed a fatal collision 7 years ago.A young couple who were on our cruise turned to the right on a round about(traffic circle) and crashed head on into a truck.He was killed and she was critically wounded.My wife and I were about 100 yards behind them.Since then we purchase the transportation passes.

Tom

Thousands of people rent scooters every year in Bermuda, some get hurt, hurt bad. I for one don't want to be one of them. Going on my 6th trip there this summer and still plan on taking the bus.

Last year we rented a car in Cayman - a "wrong side" country as well, straight roads and simple entry turns were a piece of cake, as for roundabouts and heavy downtown traffic I was glad I was encased in steel. Its not hard, just a different way of thinking when you've had so many years "our way". Took about 3 days for me to put my turn signal on and not have the wipers go on.

Been to Bermuda 5 times, rented 1 bike for my wife & I.

Great way to get around and see the island. Traffic can be heavy in Hamilton.

Need to adjust to driving on the other side of the road.

We rented from Orleander right in the Dockyard. I made a reservation probably 2 months before we cruised. Like anything else, you need to pay attention when driving, no texting, i always pull to the side to let trucks and cars pass. Need to respect, speed,wet roads, other drivers.

Don't do it. The transportation system is excellent. Bermudians are very friendly and riding the bus or ferry gives you a chance to chat with them. They love to talk about their island and are more than willing to help with any questions you might have

I have been to Bermuda more than 10 times in the past few years on a cruise ship. I was on one of the ships where a passenger was critically injured and

I was on another ship where this beautiful young honeymoon couple returned to the ship with scrapes covering the brides entire right side up to and including her face. There was a big controversy about whether or not they would be permitted to sail because burn are very dangerous and are open to infection and the cruise line doctor was involved, but thankfully they were allowed to sail.

We also were on a cruise right after a death about four years ago.....

I have a friend who is a true motorcycle fanatic....big strong Harley guy and he told me he would not even try it......

So if you do it be careful and good luck. The roads are super narrow with little to no room to pull off in most spots and the turns and exits are so counter intuitive that even in a bus I'm confusing myself.......

And the buses will ride your bumper on these curving narrow roads....not worth it in my opinion.

I have been to Bermuda more than 10 times in the past few years on a cruise ship. I was on one of the ships where a passenger was critically injured and

I was on another ship where this beautiful young honeymoon couple returned to the ship with scrapes covering the brides entire right side up to and including her face. There was a big controversy about whether or not they would be permitted to sail because burn are very dangerous and are open to infection and the cruise line doctor was involved, but thankfully they were allowed to sail.

We also were on a cruise right after a death about four years ago.....

I have a friend who is a true motorcycle fanatic....big strong Harley guy and he told me he would not even try it......

So if you do it be careful and good luck. The roads are super narrow with little to no room to pull off in most spots and the turns and exits are so counter intuitive that even in a bus I'm confusing myself.......

And the buses will ride your bumper on these curving narrow roads....not worth it in my opinion.

My husband and I rented a scooter a few years ago. He is an experienced motorcycle driver, so we figured why not? It was really wonderful fun until we hit a little patch of sand on the shoulder of the road and crashed. We were about halfway around the island and had to drive the scooter back to the ship, battered and bloody, David's knee the size of a basketball. If you do decide to try the scooter route my suggestion is pack a few extra ankle socks - cut the toes out and they come in handy to hold bandages on your elbows and wrists that my husband and I both injured. He ended up with 40 interior stitches, 16 outside on his elbow cut to the bone, and the medical crew on the NCL Dawn was fantastic. We paid maybe $250 for our treatment, which was promptly refunded by our insurance company (Harvard Pilgrim) when we got home. We spent the rest of the cruise licking our wounds poolside, glad I brought lots of books. We made great friends with other fools that chose to rent scooters, comparing our wounds. We are still scarred and David's elbow is driving him nuts. We have permanent "Bermuda Tattoos" that I wish I did not have, so not worth the one day of fun we had.

• 2 weeks later...

I would never suggest it. 28 years ago we spent our honeymoon in Bermuda. At the same time another couple also from Nj was on their honeymoon and staying at our resort. We both rented scooters and they were KILLED on their scooter. News traveled back to Nj and our family was so worried since we didn't have cell phones back then. Ever since we never rent scooters. Just not worth it.

One year my boss and his new wife rented one and they were followed and mugged on a dirt road to a beach.

The transportation system is awesome. We take the ferry to/from Hamilton and st George's and then take buses. It's beautiful to travel that way and very safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Don't.........unless you have been riding for a while. I've ridden the last 30 years but one look at how they drive in Bermuda......no thanks. Most of the people riding the scooters from the ships are clueless. Go to You Tube and search for Bermuda Scooter Crashes

Feel the need to comment on this now that we are back from our cruise (Celebrity Summit May 15-22)...after reading all of the negative posts, I was a bit apprehensive - but we booked scooters from Oleander right at the port and it was one of the highlights of our trip. We rode the doubles (me/husband and my brother/wife) - we were careful and even wound up riding in the pouring rain on our return. We have driven on the opposite side of the road before but honestly, you just need to pay attention...short left, wide right! Just practice around the dockyard until you feel comfortable heading out on your adventure.

No! $130 plus $30 for insurance for three days! Crazy! First, if you have never driven a

scooter, don't learn in Bermuda. I was on a ship 35 years ago and the Captain broke his

leg while driving a scooter in Bermuda! I can remember he came back aboard in a wheelchair. Secondly, very expensive! $5 a day in Thailand, which includes insurance!

Rent at your own peril!