Baltic Cruise in July - Why so many tours in Spanish and German

bohaiboy

There are many tours in these two languages on this cruise in the Baltic. I can't believe there are that many Spanish and German speaking tourers that do not speak English. Seems like a waste of tour resources to me. Has anyone else run in to this?

There are many tours in these two languages on this cruise in the Baltic. I can't believe there are that many Spanish and German speaking tourers that do not speak English. Seems like a waste of tour resources to me. Has anyone else run in to this?

It may well be that they have bookings from Spanish and German tour groups (or that agencies in those countries have guaranteed a certain number of suites), and SS in response has promised tours in those languages. Of course, as with all tours, these may be cancelled if there are not enough desiring to participate.

It seems that there are three tours of the same thing in three different languages at almost every port, it takes away other potential tour options. While on Baltic Cruise last year on Silver Wind, tours were only offered in English

Past experience suggests large charter groups who have their own tours with their own language guides plus special events on board.Baltic cruises are heavily chartered for this year and 2016 following mass advertising in a British newspaper.The Baltic itineraries are both safe and attractive and appeal to large groups which must be a sound business proposition for SS in today's competitive cruise market.

When we did our Baltic cruise 3 years ago, I noticed the same thing...many tours offered in German and Spanish. I thought perhaps we had some large charters on the ship. That turned out not to be the case. It was just the standard offering the local tour company that Silversea uses had.

It is a part of SS's cunning plan to further divert customers to other cruise lines.

The thing that ruins SS for the staff and chefs are those English speaking customers turning up. Perhaps they see a growth in the market in the Baltic is for German and Spanish speakers who do not wish to mingle with English speakers. That would neatly explain it.

:)

• 2 weeks later...
It is a part of SS's cunning plan to further divert customers to other cruise lines.

The thing that ruins SS for the staff and chefs are those English speaking customers turning up. Perhaps they see a growth in the market in the Baltic is for German and Spanish speakers who do not wish to mingle with English speakers. That would neatly explain it.

:)

Ello ello. I tink you may av somefing thur.

Edited by Balloon Man

• 2 months later...
It seems that there are three tours of the same thing in three different languages at almost every port, it takes away other potential tour options. While on Baltic Cruise last year on Silver Wind, tours were only offered in English

What potential tour options have been deleted as a result of offering tours to non-English speakers. So an Italian cruise ship in the Baltic should only offer tours in English? Since SS is an Italian-owned company woul you prefer all tours be offered in Italian just to level the playing field?