Claude Monet's Garden or Versailles?

5onadime

Our ship Celebrity Infinity docks for one day in Le Havre on July 15th. I am trying to decide between these two options. Any guidance, hints and thoughts would be helpful.

How are crowds at both?

Travel time? ( looking at ships shore excursions)

I would not go to Versailles as it is too far for just a day tour.

In 2012 we docked in Honfleur which is near Le Havre. We did a D-Day tour with Overlord. We also visited Deauville and Bayeux. You can read my blog to see what it was like:

Honfleur

http://www.27thousandwaves.com/2012/07/day-8-honfleur-france.html

Bayeux

http://www.27thousandwaves.com/2012/07/day-9-bayeux-france-normandy.html

Last August we visited the Monet Garden and really enjoyed it. You can read my entry here:

http://www.27thousandwaves.com/2013/08/monets-giverny-garden-and-nightfall.html

We took a river cruise last year and did both. Both were crowded but Versailles was over crowded with tourists from all over the world. Some were very pushy. Go to rick Steves website he posted a video how crowded. I love monet and enjoyed the visit there very much. If you love Monet it is a must do

Mid July will find both places crowded since it is the height of the tourist season. So here is the deal. It is about a 1:30 min drive from Le Havre to Giverny and about a 2 hour drive from Le Havre to Versaille. They are both great places to visit. But given a choice of only one, and assuming you will not be back in France anytime soon, we would recommend Versaille. One should keep in mind that Versaille is a big place and can generally handle the crowds better then the relatively compact Giverny.

Hank

Perhaps we should have been more clear about the size of Monet's home and gardens. The home is a nice size country home, but if you put 50 people in the place it is crowded. The gardens (much of it is across the road) are more expansive but we would not want to be there with more then 100 souls. That time of year it could be truly ugly if there are a few bus tours at Giverny.

I would add that DW and I drove up to Giverny on one beautiful October day and darn near had the place to ourselves. We were spending a couple of weeks in the region and were determined to go to Giverny on a crystal clear day with lots of sun. Seeing the pond, with all the reflections on a sunny day, is quite amazing for Monet lovers. Monet lovers who spend time in Paris need to make sure and go see the Water Lillies in the Orangerie and compare the mural with the real thing.

Hank

I would add that DW and I drove up to Giverny on one beautiful October day and darn near had the place to ourselves. We were spending a couple of weeks in the region and were determined to go to Giverny on a crystal clear day with lots of sun. Seeing the pond, with all the reflections on a sunny day, is quite amazing for Monet lovers. Monet lovers who spend time in Paris need to make sure and go see the Water Lillies in the Orangerie and compare the mural with the real thing.

Hank

Great tips. I will also add that Monet lovers who spend time in Paris should also visit the Musee Marmottan. It is often overlooked in favor of the Musee d'Orsay, but it shouldn't be.

Last July we went to Versailles. It was mobbed. Please go to You Tube and then search Rick Steves Versailles. He was there a few days after we were there.

We also went to Giverny, we got there in the morning, it was crowded touring the gardens, but we were able to move and take pictures and there was an orderly line into the house. I did not feel mobbed at all. The walk down the country lane to the cemetery was empty. This was my personal experience.

Yes Versailles is huge, but only certain rooms are open to tourists unless you have a special private tour. The gardens, of course, are enormous.

Great tips. I will also add that Monet lovers who spend time in Paris should also visit the Musee Marmottan. It is often overlooked in favor of the Musee d'Orsay, but it shouldn't be.

Another great tip :). We are actually planning to visit Musee Marmottan during our upcoming stay in Paris.

Hank

What a shame. I didn't knew that one... :rolleyes:

Thanks !

• 2 weeks later...

If it is raining, even lightly, go to Giverny... the gardens are beautiful in the rain and the rain keeps the people away.

And I am not sure about the remark that most of the garden is across the road? when I was there (10 years ago) the garden was around the house. Or did I miss something?

If it is raining, even lightly, go to Giverny... the gardens are beautiful in the rain and the rain keeps the people away.

And I am not sure about the remark that most of the garden is across the road? when I was there (10 years ago) the garden was around the house. Or did I miss something?

There are two parts to the garden - the one around the house, and a second section across the road. IIRC, the water gardens are across the road.

We will disagree about going to Giverny in the rain. The gardens around the pond (this is across the road from the house) are pretty expansive and one would get quite wet in the rain. To really appreciate the eye of Monet one needs to see the pond when there is some sunlight to throw shadows onto the water. Much of Monet's work done in this garden was of the reflections (best seen in sunlight) cast upon the water.

Hank

• 1 month later...

Versailles is beautiful....very touristy and crowded. Giveney is gorgeous. Versailles is close to Paris. I went on my own to Versailles while visiting Paris on a land trip. Easy to get to on the RER. However, it is more difficult to get to Monet's house. It is further from Paris. Be sure that you book your tour in advance or get admission tickets especially in the summer. Monet's garden are beautiful. His house is charming. The Japanese prints on the walls are fabulous. Wish I could go back again.