Poor Shadow Reviews

ssawjo

I was reading several "reviews" on C/C about the Silver Shadow today. They were not very good. We will be on the Shadow in November for our first Silversea cruise and I/we are a bit concerned about the condition of the ship, especially the cabins. It appears that some of the cabins are not in very good shape. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bill

Good evening Dieter and Debbie,

Wishing you both a great voyage on the Shadow. We sailed on the Shadow last September and had an amazing time. The staff were great, the food outstanding (Ramon was the chef), the ship in general was looking good. Service typical Silversea.

All in all, a great voyage.

Bon Voyage!

ScottToronto

Not sure what reviews the OP has been reading, but I can tell you a friend of ours got of the Shadow a few weeks ago in Asia. He has been on that ship a number of times and thought that cruise was one of his best ever...improved, in fact, from his voyage on the ship 9 months prior.

It's best to take reviews with a grain of salt and form your own opinions.

Thanks for the kind wishes, Scott, duct tape, Doug, and ssawjo. We haven't been on the Shadow since 2009 and are very much looking forward to Hong Kong to Tokyo to Seward! I was told that the officers would be: Captain DeStefano, HD Efstratios Mylonas, CD Christopher Hills, Restaurant Manager Valentina Ionita, and Head Chef Edgar Van Der Aar. Aside from the Captain and Valentina, I am unaware of the others. Anyone have experience with them?

Dieter

We join the Shadow in Hong Kong next week in the full confidence that we will have another exceptionally pleasant voyage. I do sometimes wonder if there is a hardcore of moaners and whingers who feel honour-bound to be cynically dismissive of everything outside their own narrow-mindedness.

We join the Shadow in Hong Kong next week in the full confidence that we will have another exceptionally pleasant voyage. I do sometimes wonder if there is a hardcore of moaners and whingers who feel honour-bound to be cynically dismissive of everything outside their own narrow-mindedness.

You are probably correct about moaners, etc. I am expecting nothing but the best on our cruise. I guess I should judge the situation for myself. Have a great cruise and let us know how it was.

Bill

We were on the shadow in October - our first silversea cruise - tokyo to shanghai and were very underwhelmed. We thought the ship looked very tired in places- dirty sun beds, shabby cabin furniture etc but the ship has been in dry dock since so they may have spruced things up. Worst of all a number of restaurant staff wore dirty and torn uniforms. We were not impressed . We also thought the food very poor - the buffets were tired and there was not enough variety of fresh items and no fresh berries at breakfast. We are not moaners but will not go SS again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I was reading several "reviews" on C/C about the Silver Shadow today. They were not very good. We will be on the Shadow in November for our first Silversea cruise and I/we are a bit concerned about the condition of the ship, especially the cabins. It appears that some of the cabins are not in very good shape. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bill

Bill,

Whilst there is both some that report dissapointment, there are equally a hard core of people that spend their time rubbishing those who genuinely and reasonably and accurately report poor experience- and will not hear of it and sneer. Don't let wishful thinking let you be swayed simply to those that say what you want to hear. Consider both sets of opinions. But I'd never ignore negative comments unless there is "just the one". When they follow a pattern it is a bit concerning.

It seems to me from the reviews that it's important to have a healthy mind-set. Understand that nothing rarely meets anyone that only accepts and expects perfection ... and there does appear to be some consistant themes in the reviews that cannot be sneered away.

I'd just go expecting to have some fun, develop your philkosphical head, and not to allow anything compromise your spirit of optimistic enjoyment. If you are in a refundable period and have concerns, follow your instincts. Instincts are more right than wrong. If not, just get stuck in an enjoy it.

The Shadow and Whisper are our two favourites in the fleet.

apuleius was on the cruise after ours. The ship did not change from our cruise to theirs (perhaps some staff but basically nothing else). We thought that everything was wonderful (except one meal in Le Champagne) yet apuleius will not return to Silversea. Different expectations? I don't know. Since we are basically Regent loyalists and only sail on Silversea for itinerary, we have no reason to either bash or build Silversea up beyond what we feel that it is.

Food is subjective. We feel that lunch in Le Terrazza is amazing! I could live off of what they serve (particularly the sashimi:-) Some items are not prepared to our liking but that can happen on Regent or at a fine dining restaurant at home. Other items are absolute perfection!

We knew that the ship was going into dry dock shortly and did notice some of the carpeting needed replacing (in hallways - not in our Silver Suite). We also spent quite a bit of time in The Bar (no - not drinking -- playing Trivia, etc.). It was in excellent shape. I must admit that we don't go on a cruise looking for what is wrong. I cannot even recall what the uniforms of the crew looked like. In any event, we look forward to our next Silversea cruise (on either the Shadow or the Whisper).

Edited by Travelcat2

Bill,

Whilst there is both some that report dissapointment, there are equally a hard core of people that spend their time rubbishing those who genuinely and reasonably and accurately report poor experience- and will not hear of it and sneer. Don't let wishful thinking let you be swayed simply to those that say what you want to hear. Consider both sets of opinions. But I'd never ignore negative comments unless there is "just the one". When they follow a pattern it is a bit concerning.

It seems to me from the reviews that it's important to have a healthy mind-set. Understand that nothing rarely meets anyone that only accepts and expects perfection ... and there does appear to be some consistant themes in the reviews that cannot be sneered away.

I'd just go expecting to have some fun, develop your philkosphical head, and not to allow anything compromise your spirit of optimistic enjoyment. If you are in a refundable period and have concerns, follow your instincts. Instincts are more right than wrong. If not, just get stuck in an enjoy it.

The Shadow and Whisper are our two favourites in the fleet.

UKCruiseJeff,

Your comments are well taken and appreciated. I will be anxious to hear from the folks taking a cruise on the Shadow in the very near future for their "report". Nothing in this world is perfect and we do not let little things bother us but just go with the flow, as they say. We'll still go anyway and see what happens.

Regards,

Bill

UKCruiseJeff,

Your comments are well taken and appreciated. I will be anxious to hear from the folks taking a cruise on the Shadow in the very near future for their "report". Nothing in this world is perfect and we do not let little things bother us but just go with the flow, as they say. We'll still go anyway and see what happens.

Regards,

Bill

That's great Bill. I was a bit concerned that if you over expect, then you're almost bound to be a bit deflated. That would be a shame. It's always better to under-expect and be pleasantly surprised than the other way. Enjoy your cruise.

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

I just returned from the Hong Kong to Tokyo sailing of the Silver Shadow.

To address some of the issues here ....

Yes, the ship can use a dry dock. Hallway carpeting particularly doesn't look too great. We spotted things like missing caulking from around the tub. Couch in suite looked seedy.

As for the food, we either had room service or used the buffet for breakfast and lunch. No problem finding something I liked, even if it was just a salad.

Dinner was another story. The pool grill and La Terrazza were excellent. Ate twice at both. As for the main dining room, I think I just have to say it was not to our taste. The bulk of passengers are from the UK and Australia and they loved the food.

For me, I found the overabundant use of crushed red pepper and other hot spices too much for me. Many of the combinations offered seemed strange such as escargot with crushed red pepper (they did later offer escargot with traditional garlic sauce). Many offerings of "gamey" meats such as venison, wild boar and goose. Basically, it just wasn't to my American taste.

The other problem I had was that the absolute earliest time the dining rooms opened for dinner was 7 pm. For me, this is simply too late. Finishing dinner at 9 or 9:30 just doesn't work for me.

• 1 month later...
I just returned from the Hong Kong to Tokyo sailing of the Silver Shadow.

To address some of the issues here ....

Yes, the ship can use a dry dock. Hallway carpeting particularly doesn't look too great. We spotted things like missing caulking from around the tub. Couch in suite looked seedy.

As for the food, we either had room service or used the buffet for breakfast and lunch. No problem finding something I liked, even if it was just a salad.

Dinner was another story. The pool grill and La Terrazza were excellent. Ate twice at both. As for the main dining room, I think I just have to say it was not to our taste. The bulk of passengers are from the UK and Australia and they loved the food.

For me, I found the overabundant use of crushed red pepper and other hot spices too much for me. Many of the combinations offered seemed strange such as escargot with crushed red pepper (they did later offer escargot with traditional garlic sauce). Many offerings of "gamey" meats such as venison, wild boar and goose. Basically, it just wasn't to my American taste.

The other problem I had was that the absolute earliest time the dining rooms opened for dinner was 7 pm. For me, this is simply too late. Finishing dinner at 9 or 9:30 just doesn't work for me.

Diane, thank you, belately, for your comments. Read your blog and found it very informative. Personally, I enjoy wild boar and venison but I understand a lot of folks do not. Thank you again.

Bill

We were on the shadow in October... but the ship has been in dry dock since so they may have spruced things up. Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Is it the case that the Shadow has been in dry dock sometime after October 2013? If so, does anyone know what was done? Is the ship in better shape?

Thanks.

We're boarding the Shadow next week, I'll let you know what we think.

I do not find a followup post from Wellseasoned. I (and doubtless others) would be interested in your thoughts about the condition of the Shadow.

Other recent guests on Shadow could also weigh in. I, for one, am more interested in the condition of the ship (wear and tear, etc.) than on service, menus, etc. Reactions to service/menus is so subjective. But so too, I guess, is whether hallway carpets are clean, sofas are threadbare, etc. :)

Observer, I did post quite a bit during the cruise on the thread I started, Shadow Hong Kong to Tokyo to Seward, last post on that thread was May 20, and addressed many of these questions.

Yes, the Shadow has plenty of faded, stained carpets. I was told that they would be doing replacements during the Alaska season, largely at night. We have been on other ships where this has been done, and it was quiet and unobtrusive, so let's hope. And they do need a real drydock to upgrade some upholstery and the nicks and dings in the cabin woodwork. The internet communications need some upgrading, but the wireless connectivity was okay for shipboard satellite, as long as we were not in Japanese waters, where Japan did not allow satellite communications on the ship. The fitness room equipment also needs some repair and upgrading.

The smoke from the Humidor entering Le Champagne has long been an issue on the Shadow and Whisper, which could be solved simply by eliminating the door between the two, which is no longer used anyway.

We found the food in all dining venues to be excellent. And they will always prepare a special meal request in the restaurant with 24 hour notice if the ingredients are aboard. They also happily create and prepare special meals for small groups, such as the Indian and Philippine dinners I noted in my posts.