Changing planes on Delta at JKF

Azulann

My flight is MSP-JFK-SDQ.

I have one hour 22 minutes so far to get to the gate for the SDQ flight.

Will I have to change terminals? I went to the JKF web site and it was very confusing about the gates and terminals for Delta. I will be flying on Feb 8. morning flight.

It has been a number of years since I have flown into JKF.

My flight is MSP-JFK-SDQ.

I have one hour 22 minutes so far to get to the gate for the SDQ flight.

Will I have to change terminals? I went to the JKF web site and it was very confusing about the gates and terminals for Delta. I will be flying on Feb 8. morning flight.

It has been a number of years since I have flown into JKF.

Check their site regularly before flying, and listen to the announcements on the aircraft. But please remember, Delta are notorious for delays. Last Delta flight, despite having a similar time frame as you, we just made departures as Delta were boarding.

First Delta flight left late, then a delay in embarking. Then to add insult to injury, luggage went missing for two days.

As one US person on the ship said "Do you know what Delta stands for? - Don't Expect Luggage To Arrive"

Hope all works out well for you

Delta uses both T2 and T4 for JFK flights. Depending on operational considerations, you could arrive/depart from either. In addition, the T4 pier is long and has relatively few moving walkways - there are NO walkways in front of any shops, so only where you have gate waiting areas.

Know the layout at JFK (and it will also be in the DL inflight magazine). Be prepared to make a long hike - whether that materializes or not, at least you are prepared.

Check their site regularly before flying, and listen to the announcements on the aircraft. But please remember, Delta are notorious for delays. Last Delta flight, despite having a similar time frame as you, we just made departures as Delta were boarding.

First Delta flight left late, then a delay in embarking. Then to add insult to injury, luggage went missing for two days.

As one US person on the ship said "Do you know what Delta stands for? - Don't Expect Luggage To Arrive"

Another anecdote to replace data. I'm not a cheerleader for any airline, but broad sweeping generalizations are rarely justified unless backed by data. If your flight is delayed, then that airline is so bad. And if your flight is ontime, they are so good.

So let's get to data. For September 2014 (most recent stats), Delta had 14.3% of flights were late. Which means that 85.7% were ontime. (And that is defined as within 15 minutes of schedule). I guess for you, that makes for NOTORIOUS.

And the "Don't Expect" line has been around for at least 40 years. You also omitted "Divert Everyone's Luggage To Atlanta". Akin to SABENA's "Such a bad experience never again"....and so forth.

Another anecdote to replace data. I'm not a cheerleader for any airline, but broad sweeping generalizations are rarely justified unless backed by data. If your flight is delayed, then that airline is so bad. And if your flight is ontime, they are so good.

So let's get to data. For September 2014 (most recent stats), Delta had 14.3% of flights were late. Which means that 85.7% were ontime. (And that is defined as within 15 minutes of schedule). I guess for you, that makes for NOTORIOUS.

And the "Don't Expect" line has been around for at least 40 years. You also omitted "Divert Everyone's Luggage To Atlanta". Akin to SABENA's "Such a bad experience never again"....and so forth.

Okay, I will make an addendum. Our previous 5 Delta flights arrived late, when I raised the subject with Delta, was informed that 3 off flights of concern were deemed on time, as arrival being within the reasonable peramaters framework, therefore not late.

For my part, when a flight arrives late, it is late, not "within peramaters"

Have not flown Delta since they tried to feed me statistical verbage.

Delta uses both T2 and T4 for JFK flights. Depending on operational considerations, you could arrive/depart from either. In addition, the T4 pier is long and has relatively few moving walkways - there are NO walkways in front of any shops, so only where you have gate waiting areas.

Know the layout at JFK (and it will also be in the DL inflight magazine). Be prepared to make a long hike - whether that materializes or not, at least you are prepared.

Thanks for the information about the layout of JFK for Delta gates.

Will look at the inflight mag. I also have the Delta app on my phone, I think they have airport layout I can view. I will carry a smaller carry on in any case.:)

Something I do when I'm flying with connections, is to watch those flights for a few days prior to my fly date. I can see which gates those flights use, which gives me a rough idea of my walk. Sure, gates can change at the drop of a hat, but it's a decent gauge for me.

I'll do this for any airport I have connections at, not just JFK.

On the "notoriously late" Delta: October's DOT numbers were 86.85% on time (by the "15 minute" rule - NOT Delta's rule), with 3.68% of those from aircraft arriving late. Let's look at the airline many here luv (pun intended), Southwest: 80.28% on time (by the "15 minute" rule - NOT WN's rule), with 9.36% of those from aircraft arriving late. Based on that, I'll never fly Southwest because it is unreliable on whether or not my aircraft will be there, allowing me to leave on time, allowing me to arrive on time...

Edited by slidergirl

For my part, when a flight arrives late, it is late, not "within peramaters"

Have not flown Delta since they tried to feed me statistical verbage.

A flight is not late unless it is more than 15 minutes behind schedule, just as a flight is not early unless it is more than 15 minutes ahead of schedule. This applies equally to departure (pushback from gate) and arrival (parked at gate and shutdown).

FWIW, the times of takeoff and landing are irrelevant - many people are confused about this.

This is nothing to do with Delta, but is standard across the entire industry.

If I understand correctly, as of today (or maybe it was yesterday) Delta has shifted something like 80% if their T2 flights to T4, so only a very small percentage of remaining flights are still using T2. And the bus that runs between T2 and T4 is now making two stops, one at either end of T4, since the walk from one end to the other is so long. So, small chance you will arrive at T2, but if you do, use an app when you touch down to find out where on T4 your connecting gate is, then look at the terminal map and use that information to decide which bus stop to exit the bus and enter the terminal.

Something I do when I'm flying with connections, is to watch those flights for a few days prior to my fly date. I can see which gates those flights use, which gives me a rough idea of my walk. Sure, gates can change at the drop of a hat, but it's a decent gauge for me.

I'll do this for any airport I have connections at, not just JFK.

On the "notoriously late" Delta: October's DOT numbers were 86.85% on time (by the "15 minute" rule - NOT Delta's rule), with 3.68% of those from aircraft arriving late. Let's look at the airline many here luv (pun intended), Southwest: 80.28% on time (by the "15 minute" rule - NOT WN's rule), with 9.36% of those from aircraft arriving late. Based on that, I'll never fly Southwest because it is unreliable on whether or not my aircraft will be there, allowing me to leave on time, allowing me to arrive on time...

You are playing with fire here....you don't want to anger the cult of southwest. They will come after you with torches and pitchforks.:eek: WN is the perfect airline and always the cheapest don't you ever forget that. :D

Edited by TruckerDave

This is nothing to do with Delta, but is standard across the entire industry.
Not Port Royal's industry....:D I guess he thinks that an official definition is just "statistical verbiage". And we haven't heard about his other airline performance since he crossed DL off the list.

In my view, 15 minutes is a quite reasonable standard.

And Waterbug...thanks for the T2 update. I knew they were trying to phase down T2, just not certain of dates and amount.

Just received an email from Delta today. They were celebrating the 11 gates they have opened up at T4. Also I will be able to find which departure terminal I will be at 24 hours before flight. I can find it during check in, or on my Delta app.

They even sent me a video of the the new T4 in the email, but i did not watch it yet.:cool:

And Waterbug...thanks for the T2 update. I knew they were trying to phase down T2, just not certain of dates and amount.

You're welcome. I just happened to have read that in another frequent flyer forum earlier in the day or I wouldn't have known. Eventually DL plans to move their remaining T2 flights to T4 and but I don't recall the anticipated timeline for that.

Just received an email from Delta today. They were celebrating the 11 gates they have opened up at T4. Also I will be able to find which departure terminal I will be at 24 hours before flight. I can find it during check in, or on my Delta app.

To be clear, those are 11 NEW gates that have been added to the existing T4 gates that DL was already using, hence the even longer walk now from one end of T4 to the other. Double check your departure gate when you land though; gates change all the time! ;)

Hope all works out well for you

This is so funny : As one US person on the ship said "Do you know what Delta stands for? - Don't Expect Luggage To Arrive", we waited for our luggage last year flying Delta Brussels - JFK - Miami, no luggage!!!!

Have to wait until I was on the ship to know if it was arrived on the pier, come back at 6PM guest relation said, very stressy hours, did a few phone calls but nobody did know if they make it on time.

Pffff they did, I was so happy to see my suitcases (2 missing and 2 waiting at the desk) me very happy!!!!!!!!!!

I try not to fly Delta again but sometimes I have to, others to expensive.

I'm booking a hotel for 2 days prior cruise to be certain to have my stuff!

Now it is funny but not @ that moment hahaha :)

we waited for our luggage last year flying Delta Brussels - JFK - Miami, no luggage!!!!

Just to let you, and others know -- you can put the Delta app on your phone and through it, track your luggage. Scan the barcode on the luggage stubs and it will tell you the status of your bags.

So, before takeoff, you can know if the bags have been loaded onto the aircraft. (DL scans every tag as the bag is loaded for the database). If they are, you're good to go. If not, you can use the app for free on the plane's wifi and find out how it is being re-routed. Then, at your arrival, you don't have to stand around the carousel waiting to see if it is there. You can go straight to the luggage office, beating in line anyone who was waiting.

Not perfect, but it sure is nice knowing the status of your bags.

That T4 is one LONG walk from one end to the other. Nice to know about that Shake Shack stop!! There's always the stops at Wingtips and SkyClub, too!!

I've never had lost luggage, but I've had delayed luggage. Hasn't happened with my airline of choice, Delta. But, it's happened more than a handful of times in Hawaii on both Hawaiian and Aloha. Always got the luggage on the next flight. My other lost episodes have been with United. Best one was when they crew forgot to load an entire cart that had all the skis on it for the flight!! We saw it still sitting there when we starting to taxi. Fortunately, it was on the way home from our vacation, so we didn't mind having the skis delivered to our home the next evening.

Just to let you, and others know -- you can put the Delta app on your phone and through it, track your luggage. Scan the barcode on the luggage stubs and it will tell you the status of your bags.

So, before takeoff, you can know if the bags have been loaded onto the aircraft. (DL scans every tag as the bag is loaded for the database). If they are, you're good to go. If not, you can use the app for free on the plane's wifi and find out how it is being re-routed. Then, at your arrival, you don't have to stand around the carousel waiting to see if it is there. You can go straight to the luggage office, beating in line anyone who was waiting.

Not perfect, but it sure is nice knowing the status of your bags.

Thanks, good to know :)

Interesting that several other airlines fall far lower than WN in on-time performance for that month, including American Airlines at 77.4%. I guess you'll never fly American either then, huh??

You are playing with fire here....you don't want to anger the cult of southwest. They will come after you with torches and pitchforks.:eek: WN is the perfect airline and always the cheapest don't you ever forget that. :D

Typical Cruise Air forum snarky comment, so thanks for keeping up the reputation :D. As Flyer Talker said,

Broad sweeping comments are rarely justified.

• 5 weeks later...

Ok folks,my flight from MSP to JFK was easy, only eight gates apart in terminal 4. even had time to get some DR Pesos for my vacation.

Just checked in for my flight home from SDQ to Atlanta to MSP on Tuesday. they are asking for volunteers when I get to the airport for the first leg to Altanta. they are offering a voucher good for one year. do not know the amount.

I am on a FF miles ticket. any advise when I get to the ticket counter tomorrow three hours early? I am willing to be a volunteer for a price!

I have been in paradise for 9 days and am not opposed to flying another route home to the tundra North on Tuesday Feb 17.

Just checked in for my flight home from SDQ to Atlanta to MSP on Tuesday. they are asking for volunteers when I get to the airport for the first leg to Altanta. they are offering a voucher good for one year. do not know the amount.

I am on a FF miles ticket. any advise when I get to the ticket counter tomorrow three hours early? I am willing to be a volunteer for a price!

I have been in paradise for 9 days and am not opposed to flying another route home to the tundra North on Tuesday Feb 17.

I never take a voucher if it's just for a round trip ticket (not cash), as you usually don't earn FF miles using those. I always ask for cash. Just tell them you are interested and they will put you on a list.

I never take a voucher if it's just for a round trip ticket (not cash), as you usually don't earn FF miles using those. I always ask for cash. Just tell them you are interested and they will put you on a list.

End of my story:got to ticket counter. plane was coming two hours late, and I would miss my connecting flight in Atlanta. To be a volunteer and receive a voucher only,you had to wait until the next day to fly out.

Asked Josian, the counter person, if he could get me home tonight. He did some checking and booked me in First Class on a later flight form Atlanta to MSP.

Gave him a great review on Delta survey when I got home.

it was my first time ever in First Class,it is very nice.:)