Early 2016 Air Travel

kelkel2

When will the major airlines be expected to release their schedules for January 2016? I would think soon right?

I really like to fly Southwest, and I know their schedule will not be released for quite some time. But I typically do my homework with the other major airlines before Southwest's schedule comes out and make absolutely certain that it's worth driving to the airport that Southwest flies out of. Which for us is Midway, like a 1.5 hour drive for us. I do have family that lives by Midway, so I can leave my car at their house and get a free ride there, so that's a non issue, but I am curious to see the cost of flights for all the major carriers!

Most international carriers publish fares twelve months ahead which in practice seems to be only eleven months. During the following month things; to me seem to be steady then at the ten months prior to departure they seem to drop a bit. I think this is because at that stage they can identify a trend. This is just a personal opinion.

Regards John

No legacy carrier in the US claims 365 days to my knowledge. It has been 330 days for as long as I have been traveling, which is a pretty long time. This is applies to airlines like AA, UA and Delta, all of which are international airlines.

There are a couple of non-US airlines that come out around 365 days- British Air, for example. But as you are booking a round trip in most cases, you can't book until whatever number of days prior to your return trip.

As commonly discussed here, booking on the first day airfares are available is rarely the best move. The lower airfares seem to start to appear 7-14 days after the release.

Edited by CruiserBruce

When will the major airlines be expected to release their schedules for January 2016?

For US legacy airlines it's 330 days ahead.

Note: Tickets are released day by day, not a month at a time. (Again, we're talking US legacy airlines) That means there is no one day on which ALL January 2016 fares for these airlines will be released. Each day that passes you can book one day further in the future. Ex. Right now on Delta you can book travel through Jan 2, 2016. Tomorrow you'll be able to book travel through Jan 3, 2016 and so on.

330 days generally applies to "legacy" US airlines as Bruce stated. Southwest (since you asked) releases fares on their own schedule usually well after 330 days. Release dates are on their website and usually on the sticky at the top of this forum.

Be aware that the reason SWA releases fares later than other airlines is ingenious marketing. Quite often, SWA has the lowest fare on the release date but other airlines had lower fares that previously sold out. While waiting for SWA fares you may pass up lower fares on other airlines.

Also, SWA's reputation for generally lower fares has faded over the past few years. If you find a good fare on SWA (and often it is when free bags are included in the math), go for it...but be aware they are now the most expensive in some markets and times of the year.

Be aware that the reason SWA releases fares later than other airlines is ingenious marketing. Quite often, SWA has the lowest fare on the release date but other airlines had lower fares that previously sold out. While waiting for SWA fares you may pass up lower fares on other airlines.

Key point ALERT!!! This should be on the test!!!

Thanks everyone for your help. I wasn't even thinking about the return flight and that it wouldn't be available for a while.

Southwest is still typically cheaper for us because in order to fly Delta or AA we would have to fly out of our regional airport and the fares are traditionally OUTRAGEOUS. But seeing the schedule come out will give me an idea if waiting for southwest is worth it or not. Typically it is. Plus I feel like flying out of Chicago in the winter I have a better success rate of my plane making it if it snows, then my regional airport. Speaking from experience...

I will keep watching and waiting :)

Thanks everyone for your help. I wasn't even thinking about the return flight and that it wouldn't be available for a while.

Southwest is still typically cheaper for us because in order to fly Delta or AA we would have to fly out of our regional airport and the fares are traditionally OUTRAGEOUS.

Let me figure this one out.....it's OK and normal to drive to Chicago in order to fly WN, but flying DL or AA means NOT driving to Chicago to take advantage of lower prices then what can be found at the regional airport.

Pardon me, but what you really should be looking at is the difference between WN and DL/AA -- OUT OF CHICAGO. Even if you family needs to go between MDW and ORD, that's your apples to apples.

Southwest is still typically cheaper for us because in order to fly Delta or AA we would have to fly out of our regional airport and the fares are traditionally OUTRAGEOUS. ..... Plus I feel like flying out of Chicago

DL and AA both offer service out of Chicago. Not sure why you would be under the impression that they don't. :confused:

The way this winter has gone you should consider the limitations of flying Southwest. They do not interline. If your flight is disrupted only Southwest can rebook you. A legacy carrier will have service from Midway, O'Hare and even Milwaukee. Winter weather could affect one airport more than another as far as disruptions are concerned, and yes, I do know the lay of the land in Chi-town.

For the last 18 months we have investigated booking Southwest tickets for a number of domestic trips and each time a legacy carrier has been less expensive and that includes baggage costs. If you are cruising around a MLK weekend or the Ft. Lauderdale Boat Show or any large convention airfare costs will only escalate, and that includes Southwest.

If you are planning on a Florida cruise departure at least fly in a day prior to embarkation.

I too agree that if you are willing to drive to Midway for Southwest why not a legacy carrier?

DL and AA both offer service out of Chicago. Not sure why you would be under the impression that they don't. :confused:

I guess I worded it poorly, of course we can fly them out of Chicago too! But it usually doesn't save us as much money as Southwest does. And the cost benefit isn't really there...

I guess I worded it poorly, of course we can fly them out of Chicago too! But it usually doesn't save us as much money as Southwest does. And the cost benefit isn't really there...

Ok, but you only mentioned flying DL/UA out of a regional airport, not Chicago, so it sounded like you were comparing DL/UA prices out of one city, and Southwest prices out of another city.... an apples to oranges comparison rather than apples to apples.

• 2 weeks later...