B2B NYC to SOU and return...

old fool

What is the necessary proceedure for the turnaround in SOU? Must we disembark in SOU and if so, where are we held and for how long, etc.? We would prefer staying on board (we have the same cabin both directions) but that may not be possible?

Usually UK Immigration is done on board ship, so their should be no reason for you to get off. Although advised, you do not have to attend another safety drill.

Edited by Pennbank

I've done lots of these B2B. British immigration will be on board the eastbound and throughout the week there will be instructions to present yourself with your passport for inspection. It is usually held for a few hours in the morning and again in the afternoon on deck 3 entrance to the Britannia dining room. And if you don't go, they will notify you to present yourself.

Wen you reach Southampton, there is no fuss. Stay on board or simply go ashore to do whatever.

I've done lots of these B2B. British immigration will be on board the eastbound and throughout the week there will be instructions to present yourself with your passport for inspection. It is usually held for a few hours in the morning and again in the afternoon on deck 3 entrance to the Britannia dining room. And if you don't go, they will notify you to present yourself.

Wen you reach Southampton, there is no fuss. Stay on board or simply go ashore to do whatever.

So to be clear -- in your experience you have NOT had to disembark either because of UK immigration or Cunard wanting us to not be "underfoot", etc.

As lannp said, you definitely don't have to disembark in Southampton; we have done this a couple of times. If you should want to go Southampton for anything, there will be a shuttle that takes you one block away from the large mall, pharmacies, coffee places, restaurants, bookstore.

No, I've never HAD to leave the ship. I sometimes do laundry and then go ashore. Usually I am meeting a dear friend for a visit (lunch, sightseeing) and I absolutely have to go shopping at Marks and Spencer in West Quay.

I, too, have done several B to B transatlantic voyages on the Queen Mary 2. That's where I met lannp. To reiterate, you don't have to disembark in Southampton, but why not stretch your sea legs? Certainly I would never miss taking the free shuttle to the West Quay and to Marks & Spencer for odds & ends and to John Lewis for facecloths! On occasion I have also been a guest of two ladies in the New Forest, whom I met on Cunard. Wonderful to have a pig or hog rumbling around the front yard or a pony wanting a treat at the front door. They also know how to make tinned Red Salmon sandwiches with homemade mayonnaise preceded by a hefty The Famous Grouse on ice.:)

DK

Hi old fool,

Although you can stay in your cabin all day when in Southampton, there will be a lot of disruption to the routine on board whilst people leave and embark.

Unless you have mobility issues that may prevent you easily leaving the ship for a few hours, I am wondering why you should wish to stay on board and experience that disruption, rather than stretch your legs, if only for a relatively short distance, on land. I'm not talking of an arranged shore excursion btw.

Walking into the town centre to see the historic city walls and buildings of Southampton, or using the shuttle bus (as mentioned) to go to M&S.

Walk a few yards from the dock gate to Oxford St for lunch at the White Star.

Visit the Maritime Museum at the north end of town.

A short ride on the Hythe Ferry to Hythe for lunch.

Many other ideas, some taking you further, such as lunch in Winchester at the Cathedral (Winchester is only 15 minutes away by train).

But you may have reasons why you must stay on board, and in which case please excuse my enquiry and suggestions.

Whatever you do, have the most wonderful time :)

Edited by pepperrn

Just to ask...do you get back on the ship in Southampton along with other passengers or is there a separate boarding point for people with linked trips?

When I last boarded in Southampton (a little over a year ago) there was a call for "in transit" passengers shortly before the regular embarkation started at 12:00.

Although I could never go to England - my favourite destination outside my own country - without spending at least a week, I understand why some people like the back to back crossings. As was said earlier, a visit to Marks and Spencer would be in order should I ever do such a trip. I am still suffering withdrawal since M&S closed their shops in Canada:mad:.

Although I could never go to England - my favourite destination outside my own country - without spending at least a week
Amen. Every year when the next year's schedules come out I scour the transatlantic crossings for durations of five to ten days between an eastbound and a westbound.

We do b2b all the time. Most of the time we stay on the ship in SOU. Good time to do laundry & have the ship to yourself. I go to the pool , sit out on the deck or walk around and take pictures.

So would I. Why on earth anyone would want to get off in Southampton is beyond me. New York - yes. Southampton - no.

British Immigration so much more civilised than US in my experience of our last BtoB. Agree with Toad. Southampton wouldn't be my choice of day visit. Could be worse though, you could always opt for a trip to Stonehenge!!

David.

... Could be worse though, you could always opt for a trip to Stonehenge!! David.
Quite agree; Stonehenge, THE most over-rated tourist attraction in the UK.

The most frequent comment heard from arriving visitors? "Is that it??" :D

Avoid.

Edited by pepperrn

It really isn't that far to train to London (a couple hours each way). Pleasant countryside outside the train window along the way… Couldn't that be a possibility if one got an early start? Or, would this be too adventurous?
Or Bath.

Bath is only 1 and 1/2 hour away by train.

That's exactly what I thought when we visited the JFK museum in Dallas last year - they had a cheek to charge you.
If I remember correctly, regarding Stonehenge, I said to some people who were planning to visit "Allow fifteen minutes for your visit to Stonehenge; one for the stones and fourteen for the gift shop" ;) . Edited by pepperrn