Oasis must do specialty restaurants

briehon

Sailing on the Oasis in October. I am open to doing the speciality restaurants but don't really want to be tied down to a reservation unless it's really worth it. Couple of things about me I fancy myself a foodie, money is no object and I rarely eat steak or italian food outside of my own home unless it is exceptional...because I can make better at home! So, foodies, what Oasis specialty restaurants are not to be missed?

Sailing on the Oasis in October. I am open to doing the speciality restaurants but don't really want to be tied down to a reservation unless it's really worth it. Couple of things about me I fancy myself a foodie, money is no object and I rarely eat steak or italian food outside of my own home unless it is exceptional...because I can make better at home! So, foodies, what Oasis specialty restaurants are not to be missed?

None of them since you consider yourself a superior chef.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Forums mobile app

Hi spookwife! I am the same-- I actually don't eat pork or beef and I don't eat Italian since I make it at home so much (it's so easy to make!)

On Oasis, we tried the 150 Central Park and LOVED it. It was so unique and flavorful. The presentation was amazing. Every single plate blew me away. I'm a huge foodie too. I love modern american, art/food blurring the lines and all that jazz. You will LOVE 150 Central. Me and my girlfriend still joke with each other that it's the best meal we've ever had :D We're not living under a rock either- we've been to a LOT of restaurants.

Also the other place that looks good is that new Mexican place (I think its called Saber or something like that). It's modern mexican. I saw pictures/examples of the plates somewhere and it looks amazing!!

Also as far as the dining room, there are some really flavorful plates and that impressed me. I didn't think I'd like the dining room.. but I'm pretty sure I LOVED it. I would choose one or two speciality restaurants at most-- the dining room is really really good so we didn't need to go anywhere but 150 central.

None of them since you consider yourself a superior chef.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Forums mobile app

I don't consider myself an exceptional chef because I can make better steak or italian at home than most restaurants. I didn't even imply that. What bothered you about my post so much that I warranted a snarky comment?

I don't consider myself an exceptional chef because I can make better steak or italian at home than most restaurants. I didn't even imply that. What bothered you about my post so much that I warranted a snarky comment?

You must be new around here. :o

Oasis may not have a Chef's table anymore. It was changing to Wonderland, but they seem to have shelved that

That's right - Chef's Table gone after the dry dock. We ate at all the restaurants. Our top three favorites were:

Sabor (casual, tableside guacamole made fresh to order and "gourmet" tacos.)

Giovanni's (outside table, great service and excellent food)

Izumi (entertaining chef, very good teppanyaki)

I haven't been on the Oasis yet, was booked for this May but cancelled to go on a southern caribbean itinerary cruise.

I was on the Allure last May...one thing about me, when I go on vacations I always dine at 4/5 star restaurant so keep this in mind.....150 Central Park did not wow any of us 7 adults (3 generations), in fact, we went there the last evening and we were suppose to get short ribs, I gather they didn't have enough so they mushed it up like a stew meat type of thing and served it on a large cracker...the beet salad was fresh but it didn't have much flavor just looked pretty but the different colored beets all tasted blah....I have to be gluten free the appetizer they gave me was plain gluten free pasta with a tiny bit of tomato sauce no herbs just plain....my soup was a soup from the MDR! Although it was all fresh, it was just ok, but service was REMARKABLE and the place is pretty.

Chops- We dined here one night and thought it wasn't up to par as Chops was on the other ships but we figured perhaps it was an off night and we tried it again...service both times was just ok, the food was just good but there were cutbacks.

Giovanni's was our favorite, we would go back again. It doesn't compare to a 4/5 star restaurant but a 3 star but very good.

Vintages we loved this place ate here three times for lunch but it be nice for dinner too.

Izumi I only suggest going to for lunch, if you want that hot wok for dinner I can honestly say you get one piece of bok choy, two small sliced carrots, a couple broccoli...3-4 punches of meat, not enough for a meal...and we were thirsty too much salt!

The Allure had the brazillian steakhouse the worst meal we ever had on any of my 53 cruises....but I read people liking Sabor.

the comment about it having to be EXCEPTIONAL . these are mass market cruise lines. not even the specialty venues are EXCEPTIONAL. if you want true gourmet food, you need to step up to the premium/luxury lines like Silversea and Regent.

Solarium Bistro is excellent.the Ellenton for dinner with offerings not found in your typical cruise ship (or land based) restaurant. The bison is delicious!

150 Central for a more gourmet set menu dining experience.

We've tried all the others, and none really impressed us much. Chops is a good steakhouse type experience, I can get similar steal house experience on land, albeit for a somewhat higher price often, but the steaks didn't seem much better than Outback at that.

Giovanni's, pretty decent Italian and fun with a large table as it's more family style.

Sabor is good for quicker, casual meal. Again, decent Mexican. Vintages tapas menus has some very good items. Izumi -haven't tried since the drydock.

MDR puts out some surprisingly good meals also. Love the lamb shank.

We too did the Carnival Dream Chef's Table with galley tour (actually we ate in the galley) and it was fantastic. We have been booked on the Oasis since before DD and had hoped to do the Chef's Table. However, all my research showed it's not in the galley just a meal pairing of the Chef's choice. So, it wasn't that big of a deal when they eliminated it. We had such a great time doing it on the Dream it would be hard to even come close to matching the experience.

We still like Chops. I have seen some poor reviews, but we haven't had a bad meal there yet. Giovanni's was good. we plan to try it for lunch one day in May. The same for Sabor - never eaten there, but we want to try it. Soalrium Bstro looks intersting to us as we are both cutting calories. We agree with the poster who did not like Samba. It was a real disappointment to us on Allure. The meat was tough and often tasteless. Also, just too much food.

We are not foodies and price does matter to us. So, we have not tried 150 Central Park or Chef's Table. I hear they are great, if you are willing to spend the money. For us, most nights we are happy with the MDR.