Can't Miss Bars In KW??

Dare2Believe

Are there any "can't miss" bars in Key West, besides Sloppy Joe's? I know Duval Street is teeming with them...but I'm just curious as to the favorites of the CC community..

Sidenote..what time do the bars usually open? Are they deadzones during the day or do the people from the ship(s) docked that day provide a good crowd? Don't really want to be drinking by ourselves in a bar at noon....that would just be depressing! ;)

Are there any "can't miss" bars in Key West, besides Sloppy Joe's? I know Duval Street is teeming with them...but I'm just curious as to the favorites of the CC community..

Sidenote..what time do the bars usually open? Are they deadzones during the day or do the people from the ship(s) docked that day provide a good crowd? Don't really want to be drinking by ourselves in a bar at noon....that would just be depressing! ;)

One thing you don't have to worry about in KW is drinking alone..........;)

IMO Sloppy Joe's is a do miss. Lot's of other cool places to see, but I know it's on everyone's list. Thankfully it's right there in the middl of things so it's easy to walk in and walk out.

Capt. Tony's FOR SURE! World's Smallest Bar, Irish Kevin's (they usually have fun live "interactive" music early on in the day).

Peter,

What bar is that?

The first is the outdoor bar at Ocean Key Resort, the second is Schooner Wharf, I'd recognize those bar stools anywhere. Not sure of the others.

And my pic is of Schooner Wharf; as I said no chance of drinking alone!:D

IMG_1956.jpg.2e351539b28043d8003604aa075f8f01.jpg

Edited by emcee207

The first is the outdoor bar at Ocean Key Resort, the second is Schooner Wharf, I'd recognize those bar stools anywhere. Not sure of the others.

And my pic is of Schooner Wharf; as I said no chance of drinking alone!:D

Thanks! We were at the Schooner Wharf several years ago. Have been back to Key West several times since then, but not to that bar. I recognized it, but couldn't think of the name to save my soul. We're definitely going to have to hit that one up again next month. :)

Thanks! We were at the Schooner Wharf several years ago. Have been back to Key West several times since then, but not to that bar. I recognized it, but couldn't think of the name to save my soul. We're definitely going to have to hit that one up again next month. :)

We like going there in the afternoon when the fishing charters come in. I walk over and see what they caught and then enjoy the show while they clean the fish and spill the guts into the water. The Tarpons go nuts!

Irish Kevin's is very lively & fun in the daytime -- piano bar, sing along sort of place. :D

LuLu

~~~~

Hmmm, I've been to Irish Kevins many times. Maybe we weren't there early enough in the day, but I don't recall any "piano bar" or "sing along" type of atmosphere...................:rolleyes::D

Another good place, right behind Schooner, is Dante's. Five outdoor bars and very nice pool to use if you are a customer. Food also. Fun time and great scenery!;)

Yep, nice place, we were there a couple weeks ago:) Not exactly "right behind" Schooner Wharf, but a short walk down the boardwalk.

Edited by bouhunter

Ooh! This sounds like fun..especially since we will be on the Carnival Fascination and the reviews of their piano bar are dismal...

We love Irish Kevin's, but you may want to check out the webcam on their website before buying into the "piano bar sing-along" description that was mentioned:D

Hmmm, I've been to Irish Kevins many times. Maybe we weren't there early enough in the day, but I don't recall any "piano bar" or "sing along" type of atmosphere...................:rolleyes::D

Been there on four different occasions and each time they had (not piano bar) but live music, somewhat fun and raunchy, and very interactive. We were there in Dec. and my girlfriend was pulled up on stage for some antics. Maybe it just depends on who's performing, but we've always counted on it to be a fun place to listen to live music. Very lively to the point that people were standing outside not sure if they wanted to come in and after a couple seconds...they grabbed a seat!

Been there on four different occasions and each time they had (not piano bar) but live music, somewhat fun and raunchy, and very interactive. We were there in Dec. and my girlfriend was pulled up on stage for some antics. Maybe it just depends on who's performing, but we've always counted on it to be a fun place to listen to live music. Very lively to the point that people were standing outside not sure if they wanted to come in and after a couple seconds...they grabbed a seat!

Yep that's Irish Kevins:) I just wanted to point out it isn't a "piano bar" atmosphere as someone had described it earlier in this thread.

You're joking ... I assume! :D

LuLu

~~~~

You're joking ... I assume! :D

LuLu

~~~~

No. Please, Irish Kevin's is a great place, but it is not a "Piano Bar/Sing Along Place" as almost anyone would define that. It's simply a large bar with singers on stage who are entertaining, funny and often raunchy. It gets loud, busy and fun, but not in any way a "piano bar".:rolleyes: To call it that would be very misleading.

This is what most people would think of as a "piano bar", and it is NOT Irish Kevins:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano_bar

Edited by bouhunter

No. Please, Irish Kevin's is a great place, but it is not a "Piano Bar/Sing Along Place" as almost anyone would define that. It's simply a large bar with singers on stage who are entertaining, funny and often raunchy. It gets loud, busy and fun, but not in any way a "piano bar".:rolleyes: To call it that would be very misleading.

This is what most people would think of as a "piano bar", and it is NOT Irish Kevins:

I agree .

Not a local's place at all as a lot of the time they make fun of people with disabilities passing by, gays, overweight folks, etc.

But I realize they are there to make money off the tourists and they do a good job of that. I just stay away since they don't fit the "One Human Family" motto of Key West.

Mike:)

Agreed. A drunken guitar player making fun of people and pouring tequila down people's throats isn't exactly a piano bar. Last I checked, a piano bar had to have one key item....a piano! There is no piano at Irish Kevin's. On the other hand, yeah, it is a sing-along bar, but again, it's guitar/bar songs.

There really aren't any good daytime piano bars in Key West. Not anymore. The Pier house has a great piano bar at night, but that does no good for cruise ships.

By the way...for those who are IK fans, their main headliner, Jared Michael Hobgood, died last month. :(

Agreed. A drunken guitar player making fun of people and pouring tequila down people's throats isn't exactly a piano bar. Last I checked, a piano bar had to have one key item....a piano! There is no piano at Irish Kevin's. On the other hand, yeah, it is a sing-along bar, but again, it's guitar/bar songs.

There really aren't any good daytime piano bars in Key West. Not anymore. The Pier house has a great piano bar at night, but that does no good for cruise ships.

By the way...for those who are IK fans, their main headliner, Jared Michael Hobgood, died last month. :(

I figured you'd stop in and hopefully support my opinion that Irish Kevins is the furthest thing from a piano bar:) I didn't remember a piano there at all either. Sorry to hear about the singer there.