Extra charge mystery

David&Pam

On the last two Celebrity cruises - one on Millennium and one on Eclipse, we have been charged more than the amount on our final bill on board. On both occasions we have called Celebrity and they have informed us that the additional amount was for something we took from the cabin (binoculars on the first occasion).

We haven't taken anything from the cabins. On both occasions the amount was refunded, but I just wondered if anyone else had this experience?

We seem to get charges for items in the mini-frig (which we never touch) - usually only a few dollars. I've started calling, since this seems to be a pattern, and the extra charge is always removed. (I didn't used to call since the amount was always under $10, but Celebrity should be aware of this problem - so I now call.)

happens many times at hotels too.

posting errors (miskeyed cabin number), forgot to refill the fridge from the prior cruise, and sometimes we forget we (or perhaps a child or guest we had to the cabin) actually in fact did use something. so it looks like we used it etc.

Good news is, they are pretty good about immediately fixing it once notified.

I worked for Marriott and we'd always get guests claiming to not be responsible for charges. Best were those who didn't watch the movies, late night, they swear they didn't You know how many buttons you need to push on the remote to make a movie bill to the room???? But we always said oh i'm so sorry and removed the charges as a courtesy. But they absolutely did watch the movie, no doubt!

Edited by cle-guy

We seem to get charges for items in the mini-frig (which we never touch) - usually only a few dollars. I've started calling, since this seems to be a pattern, and the extra charge is always removed. (I didn't used to call since the amount was always under $10, but Celebrity should be aware of this problem - so I now call.)

Hasn't happened to us yet. It does mean we'll watch our bill very closely!

This has happened to us on our last 2 cruises. We paid the onboard account , using cash, before we left the ship. Later, a $20 charge appeared on our credit card. We did not take anything from the room, nor did we use anything from the minibar. Both times we called and the charges were removed.

It does make me wonder how many times this happens, and how many people either do not notice, or just let it slide. Considering the number of staterooms,and the number of cruises, an extra $20 here and there would quickly add up!!:rolleyes:

We have not had any charges but we always get a bill prior to the one under your door and keep all of our charge receipts( yes even on a 23 day cruise).

We don't use the mini bar and always ask the room steward to remove all the items. We then use the refrigerator(?) for our port drinks and water.

I do not like extra charges and would voice so to Celebrity very strongly. It is an accusation that you have appeared to be dishonest !!

Eaglewar

It is an accusation that you have appeared to be dishonest !!

Eaglewar

Well, thats a stretch. Lots of frequent travelers just imbibe on the things in due course, and expect late charges. A bottle of water over the night on last night of cruise, bottle of OJ instead of having to get up super early to go to the buffet final day. Last minute grab of the binoculars or umbrella or bathrobe.

It's more about convenience to most travelers, not an accusation of dishonesty to a few.

Likely less than 5% of people get the charges erroneously .

It certainly has not happened to us. After our latest cruise, I was actually expecting a late charge because there were a number of items that did not appear on our final bill - particularly a number of last minute laundry charges I thought had not been put through in time. We have now been home three weeks and no sign of a follow-up charge.

I was charged $200 for a watch someone else brought, luckily I went through my charges before we disembarked and they were able check CCTV and it proved it was not me.

They would have charged me they said.

I now get a charge sheet every day when cruising.

Its happened on our last two cruises also, both times involving drinks when we were on premium drinks packages.

Needless to say the charges were reversed but I would advise all to ask for a print out prior to disembarkation, for peace of mind if nothing else.

I've never had it happen, we should keep in mind that during a cruise thousands and thousands of transactions are made and mistakes will happen. Also, wonder if the same people do the computer systems on the ship as the public portions that we deal with on a regular basis.

I was charged $200 for a watch someone else brought, luckily I went through my charges before we disembarked and they were able check CCTV and it proved it was not me.

They would have charged me they said.

I now get a charge sheet every day when cruising.

Its happened on our last two cruises also, both times involving drinks when we were on premium drinks packages.

Needless to say the charges were reversed but I would advise all to ask for a print out prior to disembarkation, for peace of mind if nothing else.

It is much easier to just check on your TV. No queuing at Guest Relations and the peace and quiet of your stateroom to check your account at a time suitable for you.

Just off the Westerdam and dang at home extra charge minibar 22.95$, took us like 10 days to get an answer via e-mail, HAL is going fix it in a few weeks.

It happend 2 times with HAL and once with Celebrity, i hate this minibar scams.

Next cruise my minibar is going to be locked or empy.

Living in Belgium is very hard to fix the problem can't call to the USAphonenumber (expensive). It is a very annoying thing, the minibar scams.

It is much easier to just check on your TV. No queuing at Guest Relations and the peace and quiet of your stateroom to check your account at a time suitable for you.

Checking each day on the TV won't solve this dilemma as these anomalies often do not surface until the last day or even afterwards.

Having documented evidence to hand is far more weighty than what one may or may not have spotted on the TV.

I've never had to queue prior to disembarkation and what else is more pressing when waiting for your slot? :cool:

Checking each day on the TV won't solve this dilemma as these anomalies often do not surface until the last day or even afterwards.

If you check the quotes in my post, I was specifically answering the posters suggesting you should get a print out of their account daily. I did not suggest that it was a solution for charges added after the end of the cruise.

I never have that problem. As soon as I see my cabin steward, I politely request that when they get the chance would they mind please removing everything from the fridge so I can use it for other things.

I never have that problem. As soon as I see my cabin steward, I politely request that when they get the chance would they mind please removing everything from the fridge so I can use it for other things.

We have done exactly that. And we still have been surprised with added charges for the minibar after the final invoice received onboard. Not a huge amount, but nevertheless annoying when we check our credit card account after returning home.

In 26 Celebrity cruises so far, we have never encountered a post-cruise charge. We have had a number of situations where an item was incorrectly charged on our account prior to disembarkation, which we were able to fix. Not saying it couldn't happen; just that it is not prevalent at least not by our experience.

If you check the quotes in my post, I was specifically answering the posters suggesting you should get a print out of their account daily. I did not suggest that it was a solution for charges added after the end of the cruise.

I did check and one of the posters you specifically quoted was me who advised people to ask for a print out at the end of a cruise.

I merely replied to your post as a courtesy, I also check my account regularly via the cabin TV but my understanding was these admin errors seem to appear on the last day so its beneficial for all (who can be bothered) to have some sort of final print out if one has to refer to it at a later date.

My husband and I came home off the Eclipse two weeks ago...Just had a credit card statement and have extra amount on that. Tried to phone Celebrity...put through to different departments until I gave up.. Have now sent an email..If not answered I will email again and phone. It just isnt good enough.

I had a couple issues with room service charges due to the items I brought on board being mistaken for being mini bar items. I had carried on some gummi bears and a bottle of water. After the first room service day, I saw that I was charged for both of those items. After a bit of back and forth, Guest Relations took the charge off. Just something to keep a heads up about.

My husband and I came home off the Eclipse two weeks ago...Just had a credit card statement and have extra amount on that. Tried to phone Celebrity...put through to different departments until I gave up.. Have now sent an email..If not answered I will email again and phone. It just isnt good enough.

Brenda

Try an old-fashioned letter. They always appear to work so much better!