The Disappearing Wine That Wasn't Really Stolen.

sapper1

Just a little story that illustrates how things can just "happen".

On our just ended Nieuw Amsterdam cruise I had promised to bring the Sailaway wine aboard for our wave get together on Shrimpboat123's balcony.

We arrived at our cabin with two bottles of wine in hand to find the door open and the cabin still a work in progress. Our steward introduced himself and I left the wine on the bed in one of the old canvas HAL bags. I asked him if he would put one bottle on ice and we took our carryons and went up to the Lido.

When we returned later there was a bottle chilling as requested but the second bottle and the bag were nowhere to be seen. When the steward delivered a suitcase to the room I asked him where he had hidden the second bottle and he got a look of panic on his face and said he would investigate.

We really thought that someone had stuck their head in the door to see what the cabin was like and had taken the wine. It was a bad feeling.

A few hours later we had a visit from a security officer who said that a steward who had been helping our room steward had checked the room, and, not realising that the new people had arrived, had seen the wine left on the bed and thought it had been left behind by departing guests. He had taken it. I started to laugh and said I could see exactly what happened and how it came to happen. We were just so relieved to find out that there had been no intentional theft. We assured the steward and the security officer that there was no harm done and those things happen.

A while later two bottles of wine were delivered to our cabin along with a sorry little new style HAL bag. I really miss my good bag. C'est la vie.

We enjoyed our sailaway with the Shrimpboats and the wine was nice and cold. We toasted our CC friends watching on the webcam as we sailed out of Fort Lauderdale, which is really my absolute favourite port to sail from.

What a story! I really treasure my "old" bags, especially the ones from Collectors' Cruises, so I know you will miss the bag more than the wine! Anyway, "all's well that ends (fairly) well"!:)

My sentiments exactly. I mourn the loss of the bag, not the wine. :) I'm just so glad there was no ill intent involved.

Edited by sapper1

I'm not surprised at what happened. I have total trust in the HAL stewards. I usually bring a bowl of some real good candy and chocolates on board. I have to convince them that they can take as many as they want when cleaning my room. :)

great story Sapper1. I would mourn losing my old bag too and as already said, especially my Collectors' bag. It's my only one and I love it. (It washes beautifully). I am afraid I would have asked them if they couldn't find it.

Glad all worked out well for you and enjoyed your posts on the live thread.

Welcome home :)

A few hours later we had a visit from a security officer who said that a steward who had been helping our room steward had checked the room, and, not realising that the new people had arrived, had seen the wine left on the bed and thought it had been left behind by departing guests. He had taken it. I started to laugh and said I could see exactly what happened and how it came to happen. We were just so relieved to find out that there had been no intentional theft. We assured the steward and the security officer that there was no harm done and those things happen.

Glad you got to meet Mark, newly promoted, on his first contract as SO. Really nice guy!

Glad you got to meet Mark, newly promoted, on his first contract as SO. Really nice guy!

Yes, he absolutely was a lovely gentleman and I was impressed that they took the time to solve the mystery, which, in the grand scheme of the things they have to occupy them, was really quite trivial.

My sentiments exactly. I mourn the loss of the bag, not the wine. :) I'm just so glad there was no ill intent involved.

If you are referring to the ecru canvas totes that preceded these new blue ones, I have some extras and would be more than happy to mail you one, if you would like.

Just a little story that illustrates how things can just "happen".

On our just ended Nieuw Amsterdam cruise I had promised to bring the Sailaway wine aboard for our wave get together on Shrimpboat123's balcony.

We arrived at our cabin with two bottles of wine in hand to find the door open and the cabin still a work in progress. Our steward introduced himself and I left the wine on the bed in one of the old canvas HAL bags. I asked him if he would put one bottle on ice and we took our carryons and went up to the Lido.

When we returned later there was a bottle chilling as requested but the second bottle and the bag were nowhere to be seen. When the steward delivered a suitcase to the room I asked him where he had hidden the second bottle and he got a look of panic on his face and said he would investigate.

We really thought that someone had stuck their head in the door to see what the cabin was like and had taken the wine. It was a bad feeling.

A while later two bottles of wine were delivered to our cabin along with a sorry little new style HAL bag. I really miss my good bag. C'est la vie.

We enjoyed our sailaway with the Shrimpboats and the wine was nice and cold. We toasted our CC friends watching on the webcam as we sailed out of Fort Lauderdale, which is really my absolute favourite port to sail from.

The wine was delicious and the company was delightful. So glad everything worked out for the better. :)

Hope you are feeling better!

If you are referring to the ecru canvas totes that preceded these new blue ones, I have some extras and would be more than happy to mail you one, if you would like.

That is a very kind offer and I thank you. However I took some time out from unpacking to go routing through my "bag bin" and did find another canvas one. Since they are getting as scarce as hens' teeth, I will guard this one with my life.

Check out eBay and see what some folks dare to ask for them, price wise. There's one out there for $26.00 :eek:

Oh my........ who knew they are so treasured? :D I do like and use them in my everyday life but wouldn't have thought to sell them. :D

Maybe we all here should inventory our HAL memorabilia and have it all appraised and insured. :eek:

Check out eBay and see what some folks dare to ask for them, price wise. There's one out there for $26.00 :eek:

Ironically, an old style HAL tote bag typically fetches more than a copper medallion (no relation to Copper 10-8.)

Who never the canvas bags were so coveted. I had a plumber come in last Christmas and it was an ordeal to find my shut off value in my condo. Turns out it was under about 100 bags in my closet. I freaked out and threw a lot of stuff out. Pretty sure a few hal bags gave their lives that day:D.