Favorite Caribbean Souvenir

burtonnm

I like to buy sundresses (island wear) as well. We also like Christmas Tree ornaments from each island. Big Black Dick Rum from Grand Cayman is a favorite. I try and buy at least one cheap shell type necklace and wear it all summer long until the string breaks....then it's time for another cruise! We don't buy too much in the way of souvenirs anymore. Maybe a carved piece of useable art (like a bowl or something).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We got a beautiful world globe made out of gourd on St Vincent's, as well as a 3 compartment wooden nut or candy dish and a carved bird house. All reasonably priced. There was a great craftsman market in the square right across the street from the port gates.

• 2 weeks later...

We get Christmas ornaments too. I also look for unique Christmas presents while I am on our trips too.

One of my favorites was a handwoven lidded basket in Dominica. We made that stop while on a tour with Levi with Bumping Tours.

The craftmanship was great, then Levi explained the local materials and how they were made. It was very reasonably priced too. I could not have bought a cheap one made in China here at home for less.

When we go to Dominica again, I will get more.

I bought some really pretty ankelets from a store in Bonaire for the girls one year that were very cool too.

• 1 month later...
We get Christmas ornaments too. I also look for unique Christmas presents while I am on our trips too.

One of my favorites was a handwoven lidded basket in Dominica. We made that stop while on a tour with Levi with Bumping Tours.

The craftmanship was great, then Levi explained the local materials and how they were made. It was very reasonably priced too. I could not have bought a cheap one made in China here at home for less.

When we go to Dominica again, I will get more.

I bought some really pretty ankelets from a store in Bonaire for the girls one year that were very cool too.

we also gets t-shirts but really like the Christmas Ornaments the most.

Silver jewelry....and colorful things from Honduras and Guatemala. We always get belts for ourselves and scarfs, placemats, etc. for gifts. Recently we started collecting masks and now that we have 5 we will start using them for wall art for a fun look. We aren't much for shopping but DH and I enjoy shopping in the Western Caribbean because things are reasonable and so very colorful!

I have a small porcelain box (about 2x3 inches) that I keep salt in by the stove. I fell in love with it in Cancun but didn't know what to use it for, about a month after I came home, I was watching a cooking show and thinking that I would like to have a pretty salt container for the counter that would make measuring for recipes easy. It dawned on me that the one I bought in Mexico would be perfect.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from 6 islands----I bought a beach bag in St Martin---beautiful blue scenery---like the water---came with scarf, scruncy and mini purse inside---then on the next island I found a sun dress with the exact same pattern---it was a top and pants (wrap around)----and of course the dark magnet type jewelry!! T-shirts for all!!:D

• 1 month later...

On a stop in Barbados, my wife and I hired a taxi for a private tour. One place we wanted to visit was Chalky Mount to look at some local pottery. Turns out our driver has a friend who makes pottery, so he takes us to this guys house up on the mountain (hill). The man, Edward, walks us through his house to his attached pottery shop. We meet his kids and grandkids who are all laying around the living room watching cricket on tv. He then hands me a Banks beer (local brew), ice cold, from his fridge. His workshop was wonderful and we bought several pieces of pottery in various sizes, shapes and colors for us and friends and family back home. After many cruises and numerous excursions we have yet to top this day.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I bought a dolphin Christmas ornament made out of Conch shell in Nassau, Bahamas at the Festival Place (port area). It was $10 at Sterling Ann's Creations. This was something I saw on cruise critic and specifically looked for while I was there. I also bought some cute straw woven coin purses and a six pack of Goombay punch (Bayside Grocery store) to bring back home. The coins from my change that were local coins were actually one of my favorite things I brought home as well. The one that looked like a penny had a starfish on it. (I tried to post photos but, it is not working)

• 3 months later...

I used to try to get a T-shirt in every port, then realized that I never really wore them! I switched to ball caps and find that they are great on bad hair days!

I used to collect Christmas ornaments but now that we seem to cruise in December, we don't put up the tree anymore and I don't see the ornaments.

One of the best choices I've made for souvenirs has been dishtowels and potholders. I love being in the middle of a chore and pulling out a dishtowel or potholder from one of our vacation spots. They are sometimes easy to find, sometimes hard to find. My favorite is an oven mitt from Dominica that I bought at a stall where the man told me his wife makes them at home. I was so excited to buy it -- it wasn't easy to find them there -- and that made him happy, and he called his wife to tell her I was buying it! Small things, big moments!

My two memorable souvenirs: A black coral ring purchased on Grand Cayman (first cruise) and a few pieces of Earthenwork pottery from Barbados.

Just an FYI to others reading this thread, black coral is now harvested elsewhere and sold in GCM.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Each time we're in Nassau, I always buy a shell, or two, or three from a gal in the covered embarkation area. She also makes handmade Christmas ornaments out of shells. She is handicap and she recognizes me each time. That makes it special. I've purchased other shells from different stops as well. Hubby collects ship magnets for the fridge. He writes the date of our cruise and the ports on the back. An excellent and easy way to look it up when needed.

Edited by Nick and Nancy