La Sagrada Familia questions

flickchick

We are visiting Barcelona in April and have questions about touring Sagrada Familia.

Specifically, does anyone have experience with the guided tour, and how helpful/informative it was? Same question regarding the audio tour - and does the equipment provide good quality sound?

Since we are only in Barcelona pre-cruise, over Easter weekend, we are weighing the audio tour where we could visit right when they open at 9:00 vs. guided tours that are only offered at 11, 12, 1 and 3 when crowds will likely be heavy.

Any insight/info that can be provided is greatly appreciated!

We are visiting Barcelona in April and have questions about touring Sagrada Familia.

Specifically, does anyone have experience with the guided tour, and how helpful/informative it was? Same question regarding the audio tour - and does the equipment provide good quality sound?

Since we are only in Barcelona pre-cruise, over Easter weekend, we are weighing the audio tour where we could visit right when they open at 9:00 vs. guided tours that are only offered at 11, 12, 1 and 3 when crowds will likely be heavy.

We used the audio tour ... sound quality was just fine. You can book Sagrada Familia online and avoid the queues.

We used the audio tour ... sound quality was just fine. You can book Sagrada Familia online and avoid the queues.

Not only was the sound quality excellent, there are special effects that you wouldn't get on a regular guided tour. This audio tour is excellent, and I prefer audio tours over a guided tour, you can go at your own pace and aren't surrounded by a mob. jmo btw. We used our NYS drivers license as security for the audio system. Make sure you bring your license.

If you buy your tickets on line what site are you using?

Is it the official site that is using Ticketmaster?

If you have your tickets ahead of time is there still along line?

Are the timed tickets just for the tower tour?

Yes, I purchased on the official site ... here is the link.

http://www.sagradafamilia.cat/sf-eng/

Your entrance is timed, so if you arrive at your time, there is no waiting in long lines. There was an extremely long queue when we arrived but those people did not have pre purchased tickets. We went right in.

Yes, I purchased on the official site ... here is the link.

http://www.sagradafamilia.cat/sf-eng/

Your entrance is timed, so if you arrive at your time, there is no waiting in long lines. There was an extremely long queue when we arrived but those people did not have pre purchased tickets. We went right in.

thank you for the info. and quick response

We wanted to book the audio tour, but there are a limited number of headsets so all that was available to us on the day and early-afternoon window when we wanted to visit was the guided tour. If you find yourself in the same situation, don't hesitate to book the guide-led tour.

In the crowds on the outside of the basilica, there's a bit of anxiety about both finding and getting to the right place to meet up with the tour guide. Allow a cushion to reduce some of the stress. (Note: I believe the pick-up point for audio guides is located on the East side of the building, the Nativity side. The ticket booth and the meet up point for groups was on the West side of the building, the Passion Door side. Put another way, the Nativity side is the work done in Gaudi's lifetime. the Passion side is the work done in the 1950s with the more modern carving.)

The group included about 15 tourists, more than my preferred group size of six but better than plenty of groups I've seen. There is no problem hearing the guide because each visitor is given a receiver set and we all did a sound check before starting the tour. I can't recall whether the guide asked for questions at each stop, but several people did ask questions and the guide responded with a smile and more information.

At the end of the tour, the guide explained our options (e.g. return to the interior of the basilica, go to the gift shop, leave entirely) and the route to follow to get each place.

Whether you book an audio guide or a live guide, definitely visit with a guide. I heard lots of DIY visitors asking questions of one another. My husband and I had the answer to most of their questions having taken a guided tour.

Having visited the Sagrada Familia many times I would definitely recommend the Audio Tour over a guided tour. You go at your own pace rather than being moved along at the guides speed and will get much more out of your visit.

As has already been said, sound quality is excellent.

By the way, we actually far prefer Barcelona Cathedral in the Gothic Quarter (entrance free and no crowds) to the Sagrada Familia. If you visit the Cathedral take the elevator up to the roof (entrance hidden in one of the little side chapels so look out for the sign) for stunning views.

Edited by campolady

Thanks everyone for the info.

We are still debating on whether or not to include the towers.

Does everyone feel like they are a must?

I think that a "must" is very subjective. I like going up into towers and getting a different perspective on things, others might feel differently.

As for the towers at La Sagrada Familia, there's a tower atop the Passion Façade and one atop the Nativity Façade (the one that Gaudi actually worked on). You're not likely to go up both so you should decide which might interest you more (assuming you want to go up one at all). For the Passion Façade tower, you take an elevator up and down. For the Nativity Façade tower, you take an elevator up and you walk down a spiral stone stairwell. The lines for the latter tower are often shorter because you need to walk down.

We went up the Nativity Façade tower, so I can't speak to the experience of going up the Passion Façade tower, but we had a great view of Barcelona from the former:

MedCruise2010106.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

I can not speak to the quality of the tours--since we did not take one. However, I feel going up in a tower is an important part of the experience.

We went up in the Nativity tower. It is the more ornate of the two towers.

IMG_5983_zps7be34d10.jpg

This is the stairwell you climb down. It is steep, but you are enclosed--so, I did not feel unsafe.

IMG_5989_zps487770a9.jpg

There are many details that you only see as you walk down the stairs. For example, Gaudi used elements of nature to decorate his cathedral. From the street level you can not see this.

IMG_5991_zps7789b357.jpg

It was a rainy day when we were there. But, the view was still good. [compare with the same view on a sunny day above-still worth going up in the tower to see]

IMG_5987_zpsad33b9aa.jpg

This is a view of the park adjacent to the church. We bought a sub and ate in the park. [ It gave us a few minutes to "stop and smell the roses"]

IMG_5988_zps07345d46.jpg

PS--the small museum gives good detail about the cathedral. We spent a fair amount of time reading the signage. It gave us good detail about Segrada Familia.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

• 2 weeks later...

One last question about the audio guide.

Does anyone know how long it is? On the Sagrada Familia website it shows 1 hour, but when purchasing tickets, Ticketmaster shows 1 hr 45 mins.

Assuming Sagrada Familia website would be the accurate one, but if anyone who's done the tour knows for sure, that would be great.

Has anyone taken the HOHO bus from the port (we will be arriving on the NCL Epic) to La Sagrada? How long is the ride there? Trying to decide what time to buy tickets.

We will be on the Jade and I'm wondering how best to get there, too. We have used the HOHO, just not from the port, and I can say it is very, very slow. Your bus will stop periodically and wait for some appointed time before proceeding. I am trying to find info on public transportation from the port.

The nearest HoHo stop to the port is at Columbus monument. This stop is not on the same HoHo route (both companies) as Sagrada Familia.

The best way from the ship to Sagrada Familia is either a taxi (about €20) or port shuttle bus to Columbus monument then walk to Paral·lel metro (about 10 minutes) then metro to Sagrada Familia

The nearest HoHo stop to the port is at Columbus monument. This stop is not on the same HoHo route (both companies) as Sagrada Familia.

The best way from the ship to Sagrada Familia is either a taxi (about €20) or port shuttle bus to Columbus monument then walk to Paral·lel metro (about 10 minutes) then metro to Sagrada Familia

Thanks. Looking like taxi is best, then catch the touristic blue hoho bus at La Sagrada.

Thanks so much!

If we are going in June how soon should we buy tickets? Does it get crowded in the summer time?

The pictures are amazing and just seeing them makes me want to go up the towers.

We are doing a post cruise night in Barcelona and this is on my top list of things to see. :)

I totally agree, this is the quickest way to get there. We arrived way before anyone else on our ship did.

Don't be tempted to get on the Metro at Drasannes (despite it being closer to the port bus stop), as you'll need to change trains. It's a same line direct shot from Paral-lel

I know when you book on line you choose a time to see one of the towers. However (I've heard conflicting versions) can you enter Sagrada prior to your scheduled tower time? Thanks, I'm trying to determine how soon we should arrive to get the most out of our visit.