Can a gaming console be used in a stateroom?

cruisecritiquer

Before all the people who like to tell others how to spend their vacation come out, I would like to bring some movies for our upcoming cruise. We are not the type to stay up and party all night although we'll try (and probably fail) but if we decide to head back to the stateroom early, I would like to be able to pop in a movie rather than the "looped" shows they play on NCLvision. Yes, I know there's so much entertainment that we'll probably never use it, etc. etc. etc. but just answer the question. LOL....

Anyone know what gaming consoles, if any, are compatible on board?

If I recall correctly, the LCD TVs in the rooms had the standard Red White & Yellow inputs, and probably an HDMI input. I'm sure it's possible to hook up to the TV.

I plan on hooking up my GoPro to the TV to preview the videos I shoot.

Word of the wise make certain you have a reliable surge protector, the electrical grids on board ship are super speradic and you dont wanna fry it with a surege.

countdown.pl?image=Beach-8&name=jbranner1104&date=1-26-2014&text=&ship=Carnival Pride

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Upcoming Cruises:

---------------------------------

01/26/2014 Pride 7 Night Bahamas

Past Cruises:

--------------------------------------------------

02/13/2012 Liberty 5 Night W. Caribbean

10/31/2010 Liberty 7 Night E. Caribbean

08/01/2009Triumph 5 Night Canada

07/29/2007 Noordam 7 Night Alaska Explorer

07/31/2006 Imagination 5 Night Caribbean

07/28/2005 Imagination 4 Night Mexico

08/21/2004 Zuiderdam 7 Night W. Caribbean

08/01/2003 Majesty 3 Night Bahamas

08/09/2002 Ecstasy 3 Night Ensenada

08/24/2001 Ecstasy 3 Night Ensenada

11/02/2001 Viking Serenade 3 Night Baja

08/18/2000 Viking Serenade 3 Night Baja

02/12/2000Ryndam 3 Night W. Caribbean

08/27/1999 Viking Serenade 3 Night Baja

10/18/1998 Majesty 7 Night W. Caribbean

You may want to consider taking a portable DVD player with some movies. My son did that when he was younger and it worked out great. He also brought a hand held game (Playstation) Neither one took up much room in a carry on.

Yes it's becoming very uncommon these days in any hotel to have access to the inputs. Can't really say I understand the logic but that's been my experience anyway.

Probably better and and easier to just load up your iPad or Kindle with whatever movies you'd like to watch and use it while laying in bed. Ok for you and a spouse but I guess not so much if you have kids with you. It's certainly easier than lugging around actual DVDs and a console though. Has the benefit of being able to swap out movies in port somewhere too if you can finagle some free wifi somewhere ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it's becoming very uncommon these days in any hotel to have access to the inputs. Can't really say I understand the logic but that's been my experience anyway.

The reason some hotels and cruise lines disable the ability to change inputs or any menu options on the remote controls and the TV directly, is to keep the technologically challenged, from accidentally changing a setting and having to have a technician constantly running from cabin to cabin, checking TV problems, when it is just a kid or grandparent, changing the input by accident and not knowing why they lost the picture. (was told this by a technician on a Carnival cruise, who had to switch out our broken remote from the previous cruise)

I know I have yet to have a cabin on any cruiseline yet, that has the input selection not locked out. (but I have yet to make my first NCL cruise or sailed in a suite, but everything I have read prepping for our upcoming cruise sounds like NCL is like everyone else)

I have always wondered why they don't have pay movies like in a hotel.

I know Carnival supplies an ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX feed from somewhere in the Caribbean (St. Thomas and Puerto Rico on our last cruise with them)

2 channels of free adult movies (PG and R) and 1 channel of free kids movies that change at 6AM daily, plus on the ships built in the last 15 years, a slew of PPV movie options, just like hotels.

From researching NCL on these boards, it sounds like NCL's TV offerings are quite subpar by comparison.

And like the OP stated, "there is so much to do on board why would anyone want to watch TV" yada yada yada...

Not everybody is an elitist, TV hating snob, who can't enjoy a movie in the afternoon or watching a show while their significant other gets ready for dinner.

To the OP, like somebody already stated, load up your ipad or laptop with some of your favorite movies to bring along or bring a portable DVD player that has an attached screen, to cover your bases.

Enjoy whatever you bring along, as much and as long as you wish on your cruise.

And PS, like somebody already stated, the current in the cabins is somewhat dodgy so have a surge supressor, if your electronics are new are important. (I had a ipod speaker get fried 3 cruises ago from a surge)

Bill

Archived